1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

1. Starting point guard for the Houston Rockets

2. Starting two-guard or wing for the Houston Rockets

3. Coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets

4. On another team

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There seems to be a lot of division on the future of KPJ. I'm curious how you feel about his prospects as a point guard and how he fits into the future of the Houston Rockets.

To be clear: This is not next season but two seasons from now.

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been torn on him. The combo with Jalen Green didn't work out very well, but he's looked good these past 3 games. He is on the team as a starter next year mainly because I don't think you can get good value for him in a trade.

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think it has to be starting PG for Rockets or on another team. I think anything less than Rockets starting PG would make him be a locker room issue. So out of those two choices, being elsewhere seems more likely.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

I really want to like him and I'm not against him being part of the future. I just don't think he's starting PG material right now. Maybe he can be a key role player off the bench.

I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't on the team when the Rockets are ready to contend.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hope it’s not as the starting PG

his turnover issue hasn’t been as egregious lately, but he’s still a garbage shooter

he got a triple double, but shot 4-17 from the field, and people were acting like he played well…lol

if that’s the case, Russ has been phenomenal the past few years

a starting PG that can’t shoot or be anywhere close to efficient…it’s whatever when you’re a bottom feeder, but in a playoff series, that’s a liability

I’m very interested in seeing what he’d try to command on an extension or in RFA

6. a time to chill

I'm going to say Rockets starting PG because if that fails it puts the Rockets further behind in their rebuild timetable.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think he can continue to grow as a PG and it would be in the best interest of the team to invest in his growth now and not have to keep chasing players and role fits for the team. Chemistry doesn't appear on the stat lines. This question would be a better exercise at the end of the year allowing Scoot to complete his first full time season at the position.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He's for sure here next year, but 23-24 is anyones guess

Corrosion likes this.
  9. H. Christopher

Gone. No true PG skills. Can handle him as a 6th man.

10. alethios

alethios Member

Ask a Rockets insider - what do they hear about his future with the Rockets?

One thing seems evident for now - he can't share the court with Green. One of them has to go.

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Can we wait to see this with the new lineup before we declare anything. They haven’t really played without Theiss

D-rock likes this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I think he will still be starting guard here though I personally would prefer to trade for a young point guard and move KPJ to the 3 but Im not sure if the Rockets and Silas have those plans or are capable of making such a trade.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All the replies stating "right now" when @Clutch specifically said in 2 years

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love KPJ. I used to work with at-risk and incarcerated youths and his story and situation when he joined the team reminds me of some of the kids I worked with. And hearing him say at the press conference that this organization saved his life? Oh man. I'm rooting for the kid. But my big fear is that he doesn't work out as a point guard. Because I'm not sure he'll be effective without the ball in his hands. My other fear is that Jalen Green emerges as a player who isn't as effective without the ball in his hands. Either of those scenarios could mean trouble for KPJ. But since I'm rooting for the kid, I'm going to go ahead and predict that he develops into this role and he's our starting point guard in two years.

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I also want to add that this KPJ and Wood are playing like I envisioned during the summer. I really would have liked SIlas to wise up about Theis sooner that way we would be ahead of the curve on knowing how consistent Wood, KPJ and Green are while being given plenty of spacing. If they continue playing like this you cant fault the Rockets for wanting to stick with them where they are but I just think it comes at the expense of Sengun's development because SIlas doesnt know how to play Sengun and Wood together. If we start losing again and they revert to bad habits and Silas continues to refuse to play Sengun with Wood and give him more minutes I would trade Wood for a real pg move KPJ to the 3 and start Sengun. Its going to be really interesting to see how this season unfolds we could look like a totally different team in 2 years.

18pbr and fattz like this.
  16. alethios

alethios Member

I'm willing to give it some time but Porter looked better with the current lineup. Likewise, Green has looked good when he's the primary ballhandler and Porter was out. If they both improve their shooting or if at least Green can improve in other areas, it may work.

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

I voted “Rox starting PG", but more as wishful thinking, don’t feel very strong about it.
    The talent is there, the flashes of brilliance are there, the IQ is there, but still a lot of holes in his game, no consistent precision, and a bit of a counterproductive volatility.

In any case, I really like the dude and hope he makes it here.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm more worried with his shooting than anything else. I know people are really focused on whether or not he works out as a point guard regarding his vision, passing, assists, turnovers, etc but none of that matters if he can't shoot. No matter what position he plays, whether its 1 2 or 3, you cannot be a good NBA player if you aren't a good shooter. That's just the nature of the NBA. Coming into this season I mentioned it was the biggest thing I was going to be watching for him this season, and early returns are not good.

He's got to learn how to be an efficient scorer or nothing else matters.

Sadly I voted for "other team" because I think that's the most likely of the options. I'm really rooting for him to figure it out but it's his third year and the shooting still isn't there, the odds are against him ever fixing it.

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

Green has been a negative with everyone (Gordon, Augustine, etc,) IIRC the numbers. Eventually some lineups may bring-out Green’s talents better than others, but I disagree it is "evident for now" that sharing the court with KPJ is his main problem…

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh man, come on @Clutch 2 years from now? We might have 15 new players from today........

I am going to hazard a guess that he is here and our starting PG, but I have no faith or belief either way...

When you are rebuilding, you churn, until you land on players to keep, right now, I have no clue what roster they are trying to build, the ONLY player I am slightly confident will be here is Sengun......and even he could be flipped for a better piece.

DD

D-rock, NewAge and daywalker02 like this.