1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The problem I have with your analogy (and probably others share this problem) is that it only makes sense when the older player is the one carrying the team. The timeline in the lakers example only lines up because Shaq was by far their best player, much better than Kobe, and clearly capable of being the best player on the best team in the league. They were building around Shaq. If you've got a 19 year old and a 25 year old and you're trying to figure out if it lines up, you need to be sure that 25 year old can be the best player on the championship team if you're going to max him. I think it's pretty clear that Wood is not that guy. If he was, the decision would be obvious.

I'm not arguing that we should get rid of Wood, I just don't think your analogy fits our situation.

DeBeards, YOLO, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  2. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

I say we trade Green & Sengun right now for picks.
    At some point they are going to want a max contract and they will be old by the time the guys we draft in 2026 are good.

gfab-babyboi and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Let's not ever talk about trading Sengun, not even in jest.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He is completely unproven and I am not ready to bank on him becoming a superstar yet. Hell, we just got SUBSTANTIALLY better when he was removed from the rotation.

jayydela, jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you ready to bank on Sengun?

He needs good complementary players around him too.

DeBeards likes this.
  6. Williamson

No. He, like Green, has shown immense potential, but he hasn't proven anything. He currently can't even stay on the court for 20 minutes because he fouls so much. More importantly, even if he emerges as the next Nikola Jokic, I don't think Wood complements Sengun well. We have seen over and over again that Wood really needs to play the 5 to maximize his skillset. So does Sengun. I don't think they're a good pairing.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agreed, Randle is better than Wood.

So far.

But you just described a journeyman's career to a "T".

DeBeards likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you're saying but that's not my point. The point is timeline and fit. You and others are looking at Wood being Shaq....NO, NO, A THOUSAND times NO that is not what I am saying nor him being the best player on our team (Although he is currently).

Wood is a good player, not great but I think with him and the nucleus the Rockets have IF they add another piece or two, they can win a Championship. Similar to what Phoenix is doing.

There is more than one way to build a Championship team; Detriot and Toronto comes to mind. Detriot won as a team and so did Toronto. Sure, Khawi got them there but Siakam won it for them.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

So who plays the 5 if Wood traded?

You just agreed that Sengun is too foul prone to stay on the court.

And he will not put up the offense that we'd lose with Wood gone.

That said I disagree that Wood and Sengun cannot play together, I liken them to Wood-Olynyk from last season.

DeBeards likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

So what’s the best deal we can get for Wood? A first and salary fillers? Two first seems out of the question unless they’re heavily protected and not likely to convert

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think Sengun and Wood will pare better as Sengun develops his 3pt shot. Both players can guard the parameter and the paint. You got to give them time

12. Williamson

I still think Sengun is the 5 of the future with us. And I don't think Christian Wood is good enough to pay the money he expects to get in his next contract. He's already said he thinks he's a max player. .I don't agree at all. So I'd rather get what we can for him now than overpay him and be trapped for 4-5 years with a Tobias Harris type contract on our books.

Corrosion, jcmoon and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Williamson

I don't. Wood has looked terrible a the 4 all season next to Theis. And Sengun isn't quick enough to play the 4.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is plenty quick enough to play the 4. I don’t think he has the stamina to play long minutes right now though

DeBeards likes this.
  15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I know you're joking, but this what the 76'ers did. Remember, they traded the ROY, MCW, before his 2nd season. This was actually masterful in my opinion. Then they drafted 4 lottery picks in a row that missed their rookie season( Embid, Noel, Simmons and Fultz). One could argue that everything was the right move except taking Fultz. There is a strong case to be made that if Tatum and the 1st rounder that Phi gave up for Fultz had never happened, PHI would maybe have a ring.

Just saying, the 2 years away from being 2 years away rebuild has been done, and was done well.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. He's only 19. It took Capella a yr to build stamina to play a full game

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

3 teams is nothing, especially if he chooses where 2 go. Lebron James with your logic could b considered a journeyman

Wood on the other hand bounces to a sht ton of team.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, you cant separate the two concepts. When you are talking about a timeline, it has to be within the context of your best player. Your best player determines your timeline, you pick a player to build around, and then you try to win in that player's prime. That's what a timeline is, it's not arbitrary. You can't say "thats not what I'm saying" because your comparison only makes sense if we are building around Christian Wood. And we obviously aren't.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No, he is not, that's crazy talk.

He does very little defensively and I like Wood.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Williamson

Maybe in 2003. Now most power forwards are really small forwards. I just strongly disagree. And we've looked terrible all season with two bigs on the court whether it be Wood and Theis, Theis and Sengun, Wood and Sengun.

jiggyfly, Corrosion, Milos and 2 others like this.