1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A lot of times with a question like that it’s pretty clear to me. That one seems pretty tough.

If looking at only the era they played in. Not how Curry would do in the 90’s, early 00’s. Or, Shaq now I guess I would say Shaq by whatever amount.

What’s your opinion?

Joe Rocket and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed! I think Wood will get a contract similar to MPJ. However, I think a 6'10 player who can avg a double double, shoot 35% from 3pt range and who's able to play defense is extremely valuable in the NBA.

RoadWarrior, D-rock and tycoonchip like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I generally agree with you. Though that is only one variable of building a team. There are somewhere between several to many more than that impacting what you should do with a player.

I could sit here and practically write a 5-10 page essay on the pros and cons, risks of signing Wood or trading him.

Shaq vs Wood changes all the other variables as well.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

The teams that find the Christian Wood, not the ones that pay them the max, are the ones that succeed long term.

It’s really simple.
    -Extend/re-sign him
    -Trade him
    -Watch him walk
    -1.5 years until free agency

Are you prepared to pay him (say) $23M+ over 4/5 years?
    Is Christian Wood the best player(or 2nd best player) on a championship(or even playoff) team?
    Is Christian Wood attracting other stars/players to Houston?

5 years, $163M (Bam Adebayo extension)
    5 years, $158M (Kristaps Porzingis)
    5 years, $125M (John Collins)
    5 years, $100M (Jarrett Allen)
    4 years, $130M (Pascal Siakam extension)
    4 years, $120M (Kevin Love extension)
    4 years, $109M (Al Horford)
    4 years, $106M (Julius Randle extension)
    4 years, $100M (Nikola Vucevic)
    4 years, $92M (Aaron Gordon extension)

Rockets will be in the lottery this year. Probably next year too.
    Then (Summer of 2023) Wall, Wood, Augustin comes off the books. Porter(RFA) & Tate are free agents then too.

Wood is 26; 27 next year. (Young 26, not old 26; just turned 26 on September 27)
    28-31/32 through any possible extension years.

Deuce, DeBeards, Jayzers_100 and 8 others like this.
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

Wood is better than all of them.

6. xaos

xaos Member

If he is better than all of them then we should get an amazing haul for him if he is to be traded. Imagine the haul Bam would get if the Heat wanted to trade him.

DeBeards, BallaDoc and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think only 2 players on that list have won championships... and only one with their original team

smoothie and xaos like this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not racial by no means and I hope you don't take it as such but from your assessment, it seems as though English is not first language.

I gave an analogy based upon the TIMELINE of Shaq and Kobe compared to Wood and KPJ, Green, etc.

I did not say Wood is the equivalent to Shaq. as far as dominance.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think Wood fetches more on the trade market than Bam, Porzingis, Siakam, and maybe Vucevic or Gordon.

My opinion though.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is all i've been saying you either need to trade him or extend him or he could walk its not personal its business. If the Rockets feel he's worth it then they need to offer him an extention, keep in mind that means that whoever we draft and Sengun will have less minutes to develop at the 5 unless SIlas all of a sudden wants to play Sengun at the 4 and even then how do we know if the next guy we get is a generational player or not.

DeBeards likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the analogy was perfect, IRREFUTABLE, thats why it was 'misunderstood'...

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wood haters,
    [​IMG]

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wood is not a problem nor sengun...SILAS IS A PROBLEM, you can never know what you have in your players or rookies if your coach is the worst rookie in the worst way....

DeBeards and Joe Rocket like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is sarcasm right?

DeBeards, jboslett, Patience and 4 others like this.
  15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No question. I think Wood's financial range is closer to John Collins/Jarrett Allen, which means 20-25M/year. They are both young players, Collins got 25M/year after contributing to a deep playoff run and making a number of big shots, Allen got 20M/year after averaging 13 and 10 while being 23 (he is averaging 16 and 11 now). Wood probably sits somewhere in the middle of those two deals - not quite Collins, but slightly higher than Allen.

DeBeards, jch1911, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not necessarily
    harden was also a lot better than many players but the haul may not have been so great for him....

oth
    jrue holiday yielded 3 frps.....

DeBeards likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just randomly jumping in here.

The answer is clearly Shaq. More rings, three Finals MVPs, actually made 3 all defensive teams, was the clear best player on his team almost every year he was in the league until he started to decline, ROY, 15x all star, 3x all star MVP, 14x All NBA (which puts him tied for 5th all time... Steph is currently at 7 here, btw, and obviously will be at 8 and could grow that, but 14 seems like a stretch to reach now), two scoring titles, one mvp.

Steph has him on the MVPs... noteworthy though we also know Shaq got robbed at least once.

As impressively, Shaq's teams only had a losing record maybe once (and i think that was a Miami team he got traded away from). His first year he took a 21 win Magic team to 41 wins and that's basically his lowest win total outside that Miami team (and a shortened season one year where the team was 31-19 but not apples to apples). The Warriors, of course, languished as a meaningfully below .500 team (26,36 and 23 wins) each of Steph's first three years, then two years ago only won the 15 games.

And I'm a HUGE Steph fan. If you told me you had Steph as your second best PG ever, I'd be ok with that. I just think on the list of all time greats, outside of Magic, top 10 isn't heavy on PGs.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Shaq was dominant period. Steph requires a bit more to win.

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  19. VoR

VoR Member

Not a true PG. Too undersized as a SG.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

While i was looking at some stats earlier concerning Wood i was surprised that 18 of the top 30 players in the NBA so far in Winshares is at the Center position right now. I was surprised.

Shaq, has a lot of those career rewards though because of no Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, etc through almost all of his prime. Which helped his stats as well. When you lay it out like you did in your post it is very clearly Shaq. I don't hate Curry like I did Stockton and Malone but I will just fine if he never wins a Finals MVP just sayin'

xaos likes this.