1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Do you do drugs before work or after?

jiggyfly, gfab-babyboi and J Sizzle like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

I put the proposal out there not as saying we should take the offer. More as a gauge, where even though teams are interested, it might not be the amount we Rocket fans think other teams will offer.

----
    I answered HeyMitch on this. I personally wouldn't for PJ, but threw it out since Hornets guys talking about random trade ideas for Wood. They said they may offer PJ Washington and pieces. PJ is 23 and fits our timeline.

The thing i'm pointing out is; if they get Wood, it's a rental, there's no guarantee Wood would re-sign with them; in which case, they may be hesitant to give more stuff up. If they guess Wood is unhappy, they can snatch him after he becomes a free agent; if Rockets ends up paying 30 mil 5 years, and Hornets the same; why wouldn't Wood go to a contending team for the same money.

I think right now Wood is more worried about the 'bag' than 'legacy'; so if Rockets choose to overpay, he probably will stay with us.

But should we pay? and how much.

Part of this comes down to Stone and what he's willing to do on the extension.

#282 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think if he's offered 5yrs/ $150m - $175m AND the Rockets add another piece; Ben Simmons or similar type young star. He stays

#283 hlmbasketball, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    RoadWarrior, DaDakota and jch1911 like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My apologies but there are a lot of opinions out there that makes absolutely no sense!

One is the "TIMELINE". I have pinpointed multiple times that Shaq was 24 yrs old when he joined the Lakers and Kobe was 18 yrs old. Shaq played 2 yrs of college and 4 full NBA Seasons.

Wood has only played one yr of college and 1 full NBA Season to this point.....he has no mileage on his body.

HE FITS THE TIMELINE PERFECTLY WITH OUR ROOKIES AND 1ST YR PLAYERS

rfrocket, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Who is the Shaq in this example/comparison for the Rockets ?

xaos and steddinotayto like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

He played 174 games under his belt, that's about two full seasons. The age / miles on the body is not too big of a concern for me. It's Wood's ceiling.

I know you gave a $30 m number, i'm in that $20-$30 mil range, so I don't think we're disagreeing too much.

Not you specifically, but the thing being talked about is Wood a max player. A max/franchise players is someone making high $30 to $40 ish million dollars. That's not a number any GM will easily give.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We would hate Wood so hard if he made over 20 million per. People would lose their **** after the games he gets b****ed on D, the games he disappears, when his shot selection is out of whack.

Wood probably lands a 4/100 on the market, people are going to be crying about albatross contract immediately at that price.

If we aren’t convinced he’d jump on a 4/70 type deal then we trade him for picks this deadline

Bo6, Corrosion, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

The max contract is just an excuse.

I'm just curious how desperate the trade Wood factions get after every win.

How many wins before they realize that 2 birds in bush may not be equal to what they have in the hand.

RoadWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

20ish is fair, and if he doesn't play well, pressure will be on. Slight overpay may be ok, since he took a discount currently and he is choosing to stay for the rebuild.

10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

25 mil for four years would be a GREAT deal, salary cap is increasing and that’s roughly what we pay Gordon for a sixth man role, if he wants 25 x 4 you sign him for that without even thinking, no thinking at all like non!

The question is does he think he’s worth north of 30 mil per

BallaDoc and DaDakota like this.
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

During the Losing streak KPJ and Wood at that time were playing selfish and holding onto the ball for their own stats.

Maybe you should learn basketball.

Were you not watching any Rockets games

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

So many attacks on this board, the Losing streak looks terrible and shows the Rockets need better talent and need to clear the Veterans from the Roster and trade for younger players that fit with the time-line.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

So think about it, what changed???

When you figure that part out, you can @ me then.

I'll be right here.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wood is kinda like middleton or jrue holiday on bucks...perhaps you gotta slightly overpay these guys max when you have the opportunity...especially if youre not big market where fa flocks and give you discount

BallaDoc likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would 100% agree with you IF WE ALREADY HAD GIANNIS!

But you can't get a Giannis if you overpay on these guys before you find that guy.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ppl cant appreciate what they have... if he were on lakers or gsw youd hear about wood non stop on espn... people around here would covet wood and demand we find such a player or trade for him...

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

you didn't get the memo? apparently he's shaq now according to cf's

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what?! you sir better stop insulting sengun or so help me god i will come tru the computer screen and fight you!

DeBeards, D-rock and Williamson like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who do you think is a better player, shaq or steph curry?

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You're grouping two different analogies. Obviously Shaq is a more dominant player than Wood but that was not my analogy. What was brought to mind was TIMELINE and I was simply making a comparison of how players with different ages band together to win a Championship.

Everyone does not have to be 19yrs old for this rebuild to work.

hakeem94, D-rock and BallaDoc like this.