1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Correa could do 3rd. He would probably play center field if the Mets wanted him to and offered him 10 years $350.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Oh I don't doubt that he could, he just doesn't seem like that guy

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I was told today, by someone who spoke directly with Click a couple weeks back, that Correa is definitely gone. I don’t know if that’s still the thinking right now but I take that to mean the Astros offer is their only offer and they don’t expect him to take it.

BigMaloe, Marteen, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you think?

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Obviously he’s not going to take our current offer. I’m guessing on the part where we don’t intend to make a better one.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

it's 10 year or bust for Correa.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that should be a MASSIVE red flag. He knows he's not going to be worth it. He wants a team to be on the hook for several years of garbage from him and honestly I can't blame teams that pass on that.

There's never been a 10 year deal that worked out. They are flat out stupid and they say something about the mentality of the player...they want long term security so they can stop having to try so hard all the time.

8. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

is there any evidence that players that get ten year deals - your megastars who have been motivated their entire lives to be the best - "stop trying." and if so, is that evidence equally consistent with the fact that the back end of the deals are when players naturally experience age-related decline.

it's also not right to think of it as AAV for every year, and therefore the player "costing" the AAV at the end of the contract. the way both sides look at it is that the payment is more for more productivity at the front end, and less for less productivity at the back. the AAV is just an accounting simplification.

Elienator and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I know that when free agency started the front office believed strongly that Correa was gone but charted out a path either way. I have seen or heard nothing to lead me to believe that they will resign Correa other than the fact that the Astros have addressed their rotation (Verlander) and bullpen but have stopped short of adding a bat.

It's my personal opinion is that he is not coming back.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The timing of Correa's FA lingering while all the possible replacements sign elsewhere is either a negative (taking them out of the running for some good bats) or a positive (gives them cover for why they didn't sign Baez, Semien etc.) depending on how much of a cynic you are about Astros management.

whiskeyred, TheresTheDagger and Nook like this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Very assertive and equally wrong.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Astros ownership and management are very shrewd. I wouldn't put it past them. I do know that everyone has always told me that Crane really wants to win but also drives a hard bargain.

SamCassell likes this.
  13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A-Rod's two deals both worked out OK. Betts's deal has already resulted in a title for the Dodgers. But the majority of these long deals are very recent so there's not much sample size. Obviously Pujols and Cano didn't work.

Milos likes this.
  14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't recall when A-Rod signed his extension, but in the 10 years from when he signed his 10 year deal, A-Rod averaged 42 home runs, 124 RBIs, and a .970 OPS. He finished top 15 in the MVP voting every year, including 3 wins and a runner up, and won 6 silver sluggers and 2 gold gloves.

He tailed off quickly after that, and the Rangers failed in fielding a competitive team around him, but it's pretty unreal consistency, health, a production.

15. TheresTheDagger

10 year deals always look massively stupid in the context of past history and the current market.

They also tend to look a lot better as years go by. Is there anyone in the market for a shortstop/impact player who wouldn't take 24 year old ARod today for 10 years at 252 million vs. todays market?

Nook likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The first A Rod 10 year deal worked out alright enough.... though he forced his way off that team, the 2nd 10 year deal was a disaster, he signed it in 2007 and got progressively worse every single season after that till they finally paid him to go away.

#896 Bobbythegreat, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I’m sure the steroid scandal has something to do with his regression over the years.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Neither. Yankees are not spending that on Correa, especially after his Jeter comments. Dodgers could have just kept Seager. I don't think anyone is going to give Correa the money he wants. His back is a HUGE issue.