1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

If Hornets offer:

PJ Washington (6'7") PF (39% 3p) - $4.2m (rookie contract)
    Mason Plumber (6'11") - $8.1m
    First round pick.

Wood - $13.6m

Would you?

BigShasta likes this.
  2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This forum has become full of (Sengun Only Fans) who no matter what Wood does, want him gone to free up minutes.

Wood is a talented big man who motor/energy is up and down and he will have trouble with more physical big men.

Put Wood with space and any elite or decent PG and he is deadly …it’s a reason once Theis sits he looking like the Wood that played with Harden last year to start the season

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Hachimura but he hasn't played this season due to mysterious "personal reasons." Do you know what is going on with him?

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Don't know but I think he came back to practice this week so maybe it's nothing major, physically. Probably just needed a mental break.

kubli9 likes this.
  5. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Sure, get as much as you can for him.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't. Plumbers are always great to have around, but I would never pay $8.1m for one.

7. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

No one can deny that Wood is a talented and good player. And he would've been the perfect center for us two-three years ago. But We need to look at this in the context of our rebuild.

Firstly, KPJ and JG played worse then expected, and Wood needs good guard play to amplify his play. Secondly, Sengun is looking legit and showing that he can take over the 5 spot sooner than expected. The FO is probably looking to get him as much minutes as possible (even though some times it seems the opposite), so that he can get the stamina and clean up his fouling.

So I think Wood is gone at the deadline. A good wing prospect would be ideal, and maybe a backup C since We will hopefully also move Theis.

8. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

#keepwood

RoadWarrior likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Plumlee. My auto correct.

I wouldn't either.

Right now teams like the hornets are also gambling on Wood as a rental if they go after him now. Risk of Wood not re-signing. So they may be hesitant on what to give up.

The other thing is just as Rocket fans may not want to offer the max, other teams might not as well.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I'd take any deal including Kuminga. Other than that I'm content to hold till the off-season. His price will only go up till then being featured as the 5.

DeBeards and tmoney1101 like this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Would ya'll do Wood + Gordon for Simmons? I think that salary might matchup....

12. Milos

Milos Member

Just for a little bit of context ...
    Here are the current B-Ref comps for CWood
    Nobody he compares to (after 5 years) screams 'future core piece of a championship team' to me

Career Win Shares (Best to Worst)
    Player Sim 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Christian Wood 5.1 2.8 0.8 0.3 0.3
    Landry Fields 87.4 5.3 3.4 1.1 0.4 0.3
    Larry Stewart 83.3 4.7 2.9 1.6 0.5 0.1
    Sam Smith 79.6 4.6 3.3 1.4 0.2
    Don May 79.1 6.1 2.9 1.3 0.5 0.3 0.2 0.0
    Wah Wah Jones 77.7 5.9 2.1 0.8
    Mirza Teletović 76.9 3.8 2.7 0.9 0.6 0.5 0.3
    Bill Closs 76.1 4.4 2.8 0.0
    Dick Mehen 76.1 5.6 1.9 0.6
    Tony Jaros 75.6 4.4 2.2 1.3 0.6
    Donatas Motiejūnas 75.0 4.7 1.4 0.7 0.3 0.2 -0.1

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Wiseman is still a project player did not look good last year. I would trade for Mo Bamba from Orlando then I would trade Wood for Kuminja and Moody. Also I would trade Brooks for Mo Bamba because Orlando have no shooters

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

At cost of starting Sengun?

15. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

You’re talking to a wall, dude.
    I’m starting to think this site has been overran by fans of other teams who are just here to troll.
    You don’t trade all-star level centers for picks and prospects.
    I hope the Rockets front office is competent enough to know that.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet these 2 are part of most efficient Rockets lineup in the 3 game win streak.

Learn basketball.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah but you said nothing about the defensive end, though

The problem with Wood is that he's not well-rounded enough to be a cornerstone big man. By definition that's a role player on a contending team, not necessarily someone you build around. I don't see Bosh as his ceiling; more KAT, and what has KAT ever been able to carry?

If you can get value greater than Wood, you trade. I can't get down with just plugging my ears and saying "Wood is great, no trades".

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun cannot play 35 minutes, he'd foul out.

Let him develop.

The impatience on this board is insane.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood has played his best switch D and rim protection in this 3 game win streak.

He is much better defender at the 5 than at the 4.

Have you been watching at all?

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't think anyone is arguing that Wood isn't good. And on this young team, predisposed to lot of losses, we need all the talent that we can get.

The question is more on Wood and his agent. Are they asking for something like $20-$30 million a year (fair), or are they asking for like a franchise max; like Lebron/Westbrook/Wall money.

Whatever that amount or length of contract it is, down the road guys like Green will be seeking the same.

This is why, folks are talking about potentially need to offload Wood, if we don't plan to max him.

---
    Other question is Wood will be 'featured' here, so I think he'll be happy with that. Will he also be happy to be on a 'rebuild / losing' team during his prime years. Something that we see down the road (guys like Tucker/Harden and others, don't want to be).