1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Screaming Fist

Why not just use that money to sign Story and trade for a CF like Reynolds or Mullins if they still want one? It will cost a lot but I think each of Brown, Leon, and Lee have high bust potential. Also, those two moves probably get you near or at the 50 WAR threshold and return the Astros to "superteam" status. Even if they can't land a CF via trade, I think relying on McCormick, who has performed well in the majors, carries much less risk than banking on Pena and a cheap stopgap SS.

2. Elienator

Elienator Member

I assume he's willing to wait for this reason. I'm sure setting himself up long term is the goal, but there are also going to be a lot of teams willing to do a short, record level AAV contract if he wants to wait it out another two or three years if he doesn't find a long term situation he likes. If he can do a Scherzer type deal he could theoretically wind up with higher overall compensation over 10 years and even if he doesn't stay healthy he's booked 120M+. I'm sure that's only a fallback, but it's not a bad fallback option.

Milos and Major like this.
  3. Elienator

Elienator Member

It's possible the Rangers just liked Seager more than Correa. He's been better offensively and his overall skill set should theoretically age a little better. He's also a lefty which they may like better with their lineup. It's also possible the Rangers and Seager both wanted to get something done before the CBA expiration and Correa wanted to take his time or wanted more to sign right now.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Starters:
    Verlander
    McCullers
    Valdez
    Garcia
    Odorizzi

Bullpen:
    Urquidy
    Javier
    Baez
    Montero
    Taylor
    Maton
    Neris
    Stanek
    Pressly

Extra arms: James, Solomon, Bielak, Dubin, Bermudez

There's got to be a trade coming soon, right? Even if we carry 14 pitchers, there is a glut here. On the plus side, our bullpen looks very deep and very effective. It looks like this will be a strength of the team as opposed to the weakness it was last year until the trade deadline.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's also possible that Correa doesn't want to play for that worthless organization

rockbox likes this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Rangers are a lump of dogshit.

The Beard and The Drake like this.
  8. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

Is anyone able to provide a brief summary of where 'Stros are today with any free agent moves or roster changes? Here's what I've seen so far:

1. Verlander signed to one-year
    2. Offer out to Correa
    3. Graveman gone, Stubbs gone

Are there talks of us seriously going after any other big names? Does anyone have a good feel for when some of the big chips will start to fall or can that literally happen at any minute?

9. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On another note, considering the glut of starting pitching we have available, I feel that Jose Urquidy could dominate out of the pen. Let's say he bumps his velocity as a reliever and sits 96-97, with his ability to control his secondary stuff and pound the zone - that's an elite set up guy, right?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whenever you have a pitcher that has 3+ effective pitches and can go 5, you make them a starter. Urquiddy’s biggest issue last year was his shoulder. When he started games, he usually pitched pretty well.

But whatever the issue with his shoulder was… at the slightest dip in velocity on the fastball, he’d get hit hard.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Urquidy has more value as a starter. If you want to move starters to the pen, I would start with AAA/AAAA guys who have good stuff.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

80% of the big chips have fallen. Are you living under a rock? Lol

Squirtle likes this.
  13. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

lol kind of. I saw the non-Astros deals. Just wondering at this point in time, what would Astros need to do to have a A+/- offseason. Are we eyeing anyone to replace Graveman? Are we targeting any other SPs and/or relievers?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Money is not the same amount and other teams will want a lot for Reynolds and Mullins.

I don't see a ~$210 budget (including benefits) as cheap. If Story is an option, Astros should just go the extra AAV and keep Correa. Though both would likely push payroll over $210M. I would be all over Reynolds or Mullins. I'm guessing Pena would be needed as they both have a lot of years left and it would tough to match up value without him. I don't see Astros trading Pena unless they sign a top flight SS.

On McCormick vs. Pena, I think both will be needed to play a lot even if McCormick is coming off the bench on Opening Day.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Astros signed Verlander
    Astros lost Graveman, Y Garcia, and B Raley in Free Agency
    Astros signed Hector Neris.

They also put Kent Emanual on waivers and lost him to the Phillies.

Squirtle likes this.
  16. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

They signed Neris to replace Graveman and right now the rationale thing would be to be patient and get a tier B player instead of overpaying the top talent left. They also could trade for a CF or SS. You have to remember that teams are chasing the Astros so need to overspend like the rangers are doing. IMO that would make the off-season a successful one.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston added Verlander and a very good RP in Neris. They have lost Graveman, Raley, and Yimi Garcia. Greinke and Correa are unsigned. Houston has a moderate need to add another strong bat to deepen their lineup. That would likely need to come at CF, SS, or C. Story and Correa are the available star SS. There are no good CF or C available in free agency. Other options include trading for a CF (like Cedric Mullins from the Orioles or Joey Gallo from the Yankees) or signing a corner OF (Conforto, Bryant, Schwarber, Pham, Castellanos) and moving Tucker to CF. Willson Contreras also appears very likely to be traded, and would represent a big offensive upgrade at catcher.

Outside of that, I’m sure Houston is looking into trading for another good SP to upgrade from Urquidy/Odorizzi. Means, Lopez, Marquez, and Castillo are potential options. That move is less likely and less necessary. The only other move would be to potentially add another good bench player, either a bat or a SS who can serve as insurance in case Pena doesn’t pan out or needs some more time in the minors.

Lots of offseason remaining.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Click all but guaranteeing they will tender Montero and reiterating they expect Baez to be productive, their bullpen looks set:

Pressly
    Neris
    Baez
    Montero
    Maton
    Stanek
    Javier
    Odorizzi (or Urquidy, whoever isn’t the 5th SP)

Josh James looks like a non-tender candidate, but if I were a rebuilding team I would be trying very hard to trade for him.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Correction: Verlander is basically on a 2 year deal, with a 2nd year player option. And like others have said in terms of the big chips, they're all basically gone. The only ones left out there are Correa and Story in terms of SS.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It’s gotta be Correa or Story. and if it’s Correa, use Pena for a CF like Mullins.

If it’s story, hopefully it’s a short term deal to allow Pena to ramp up and take over. Outfield would be very iffy though