1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

$166m / 4 or $217m / 5

If you are willing to give him that , by all means keep him.

Having his bird rights while he's a $14m expiring gives you a lot of options to use cap space first , then resign him.

But man , I just don't know if I want to pay him the big bucks .... so often his stats are empty / meaningless & he's not a defensive anchor by any stretch of the imagination ....

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, Rockets played with new starting 5.

Wood finally returned to role of center.

Imagine how much better that starting 5 will play with more chemistry and experience.

If Silas commits to this starting unit, the Rockets will win more.

Trade is unrealistic anyway, Hornets are committed to LaMelo and he's earned that trust with ROY campaign last season.

He is their franchise player.

gfab-babyboi and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

LaMelo will never be traded unless he forces it. Wood is a really good offensive center, especially against teams that have weak interior defenses. He will never be worth the max or a starting center on a championship team, because of his defense. You need to trade him if you get a good haul for him, otherwise just keep him until the deadline next year and re-negotiate something reasonable or take what you can get for him.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think that's true. He's not going to command 40-50M per year. That's just not happening when you're on the worst team in the league getting under 20ppg in your second season as a starter (injured for half of the first) not making all-star teams.

More likely is something closer to a Jarret Allen/John Collins deal. 20-30M/year to me is probably a more realistic contract for what he'll be owed. Which isn't a terrible deal. Not like we're straddled with two max contracts already where that type of money would drive us into the luxury tax.

Wood is 26 years old right now (just turned 26 recently), not 33. If our young players begin to hit their stride in 2023, then he will be in his prime as part of that, not an over the hill vet misplaced on a young team.

The problem with Wood and the rest of our team is roster construction with a bunch of above average players and young guys needing time. At some point, we will have Garuba, Sengun, Wood, and another young big man (say, Banchero) who need floor time. Some of those players will need to start (Sengun is already making a case, and chances are if you draft someone like Banchero, he's starting day 1), which will move Wood to the bench. So the real problem is not the money, but whether he "fits" with a developing young team acquiring more assets by the day, especially young big men.

Here's another side of the coin to think about: consider the hypothetical of, say, next year this time reading headlines about Zion Williamson once again coming into camp out of shape and missing the first 30 games. Reports start leaking that he's trying to force his way out of town, that he's unhappy with NO, that he doesn't like the GM and is not confident in the organization, and that he wants out. The Pelicans have by that point drafted a top-5 player that is also a big man (maybe Chet) after finishing the season bottom-5 and they don't want to poison the well with a new coach, young prodigy, etc. surrounded by a disgruntled player who won't stay in shape.

After weeks of stories and leaks, the Pelicans move to trade Zion. By that point, we have a 27-yo Wood who gets 20 and 10 and pairs well with Chet, a trove of future draft picks and we're willing to send two over + a swap, and some up and coming young players that we can move off of (think a Tate or KJ Martin, as well as a rookie we draft next season (not the top one, obviously)). Who's going to give them a better offer? Who says they don't take it?

That's one possibility, but there are others, all worth thinking through carefully. This team is at a major inflection point concerning its future, and we cannot afford to move off of players like Wood 'just because.'

Phillyrocket likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I don't think Wood is going to command a max, but that doesn't mean he won't get overpaid. Personally I think it will be hard to get what the Magic got in the Vucevic trade; Wendall Carter is a decent center for the Magic, Otto Porter Jr is a bench player, and 2 FRP picks (8th + TBD).

Grizzles:
    Wood + Nwaba for Melton+ Kyle Anderson + 2 FRP (most likely 14 and above)

Mediocre picks but Rockets pickup defense (Melton) and shooting (Anderson but contract is up).

Kings:
    Wood + House for Bagley + Harkless + 2 FRP (most likely 8-14 range).

Mediocre talent incoming, but better picks. Bagley maybe able to get on a cheap, short deal and Markless has 1 year remaining.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there's better packages * I'm missing but I personally like the Grizz package as it allows us to start getting more competent but not too much. Melton fits with our current guards, especially if Gordon is moved, while Anderson adds some shooting plus some positive defense. Anderson would be due a contract, but hopefully we could snag him for a reasonable price. Neither would be need big minutes or the ball in their hand, but I think they help raise our floor. I wouldn't worry about losing our draft status this season as the loss of Wood would keep us at the bottom. The picks are just more "tickets/gold coins/etc" to use on trades or drafting.

* I just don't see a GSW trade that would make both sides happy. Do we want Wiseman? Do the GSW want to give up Kuminga for Wood? Is Wood a good culture fit for the GSW? IDK? But Wiggins didn't seem like it and he's doing much better now.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How about EG/Augustine for Eric Bledsoe? Clippers can use all the firepower they can get. We can then waive Eric Bledsoe.

This can solve the issue of having John Wall play a significant back up role by opening EGs and Augustine's minutes. Bledsoe only has a partial guarantee next season so we can just eat that salary up. We then open up a roster space to make Garrison Matthew a 3 year offer. Clippers would have to throw in an SRP or 2 in there, plus you generate a $7M TE or so.

fattz likes this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Christian Wood + Gordon

For

Isisah Jackson + Chris Duarte + Myle Turner

BallaDoc likes this.
  9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Houston In: Hield, Bagley, Thompson, 2024 SAC 1st (top 3 protected), 2026 SAC 1st (top 3 protected)
    Houston Out: Wood, Gordon and House

Sacramento In: Wood, Gordon and House
    Sacramento Out: Hield, Bagley, Thompson, 2024 SAC 1st, 2024 and SAC 2nd

Houston gets younger, sells high on Wood and gets good picks. Houston can also flip Hield to a playoff team for a 1st Rounder and Thompson for a second rounder.

Sacramento adds talent and vets next to Fox to make a push for the playoffs.

DCHAMP and BallaDoc like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Houston Out: All the fans who want to throw games and perpetually tank for draft picks.
    Houston In: Sportsmanship, pride and a little bit of dignity.

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Knicks: Kemba, Kevin Knox, FRP (top-10 protected)
    Rockets: John Wall, Danuel House

OKC is covering 27M of Kemba's salary, so I'd assume here that the Rockets agree to cover 27M of Wall's salary for this season and next season. After the trade they'll take ownership of the 9M this yr and next season owed to Kemba (which next year can be far more easily bought out on our end) and NYK take over ~17M of Wall's salary. Wall gives them an upgrade over Kemba, House an upgrade over Knox which is valuable for a win-now team.

For us, Knox is a young player who is worse than House. We probably let him ride the season out on the bench or buy him out. Either way, he's an expiring contract.

Kemba rides the bench with us and we have the same headache we currently have with Wall but with a worse player. But we acquire a FRP which will likely convey here, and most likely be in the 13-15 range, so a very valuable piece. I think the FRP makes the trade worthwhile for us, a starter to replace Kemba and a solid veteran SF that has playoff experience makes it worth it for NY.

12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Kemba's salary is 8.7m. You'll need a LOT more players to make that trade work, the ESPN trade machine has the wrong contract details. You can't trade on the buyout, that contract has ended. He has a new contract with the Knicks.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/kemba-walker-8059/

xaos likes this.
  13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

14. xaos

xaos Member

Just for the next few years we have our picks. Just because our philosophy on how we want to build the team is different doesn't mean we lack pride/dignity/etc. You're putting a lot of people in a bucket of "no pride/dignity/sportsmanship" because their philosophy is different than yours, which is high-school level thinking (cliques mentality). There's good arguments on both sides. I believe Clutch is pro develop the young guys and draft high for this period. Are you saying he lacks dignity?

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Ok, explain to me how there's any sportsmanship in deliberately losing? (here's a hint, the two are literal opposites of each other.) Like I say, it's VERY obvious which of you have ever actually played sport without it being a video game.

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

With news of the alleged desire to move Kemba Walker and Clippers recent struggles (lost 3 of 4)... ALSO I AM JUST SPIT BALLIN' IN THE RANDOM TRADE IDEAS THREAD so CHIIILLLLLL

HOU - LAC - NYK - PHI - ORL

LAC: Wall (HOU) + House (HOU) + Reed (PHI)

NYK: Bledsoe (LAC) + Joe (PHI)

PHI: Gordon (HOU) + Ibaka (LAC) + Walker (NYK) + FRP (HOU) protected + FRP (ORL) top 10 protected

ORL: Kennard (LAC) into TPE

HOU: Simmons (PHI) + Knox (NYK)

@D-rock

D-rock likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

This post made me lol. Thanks for that. I was hoping for a conversation but instead got a laugh.

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Ah good, the feeling's mutual. I find your entire perspective on sports a complete and utter joke. Off to the ignore list with the other tools like Bobby you go :).

19. xaos

xaos Member

Not sure how I will go on with my life now

20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member