1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

The team that trades for Wood also trades for his bird rights, so it wouldn't necessarily be a rental. Teams like Charlotte, Toronto, and Boston are viable trade-and-extend targets, and teams like Golden State (if we're lucky) are talented enough that they could use him for the next 1 and a half seasons to strengthen their roster for deep playoff runs.

An article literally came out today stating that there is going to be "significant" interest for Wood. So you have no idea what teams are willing to offer.

2. varughese.arun

He is not the one. Trade him while his value is high.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Tanking is deliberately losing games, like I said, quit watching sports and leave it to the people who actually understand it.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why you are good with another top 5 pick when this years pick no 2 is terrible

and pick no 16 is the best rookie in the nba

whats the obsession with the high picks and losing games on purpose?

the top picks you want only can dream of becoming wood caliber players let alone being better players than him

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If 22/21 in a game is not the one, what does the one have to have 30/30?? You know how hard that is in a NBA game?

This is not a video game. For someone to avg a double double takes hard work and skill and you want to trade him?

Just curious, who would you trade him for?

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

varughese.arun likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What about the 16 games before this? I don’t want to trade Wood for peanuts and not at all if he can play this way against upper echelon teams. He does not play defense when he is up against good or great centers. He is not as effective on offense against teams with good post defense. If he can prove that he is effective against real opponents then he is worth the max and should pay the man. Basketball is not only played on one side of the court.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Other teams have the same opinion. If he's good, they want him. If he's bad, the Rockets can keep him.

If the Rockets trade him, it will likely be for a draft pick that turns into a worse, cheaper player, with hope that the Rockets get lucky with the pick or another team values the next year and half of Wood greatly giving up a very good pick/player.

I am growing to become very anti-Theis (though not his fault) for the way the Rockets want to play. If Wood is gone, Theis ends up playing.

juanming and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Trade packages that would be great value for Wood
    1. CHA - Kai Jones, Plumlee, and Bouknight
    2. GSW - Two of Wiseman, Kuminga, and Moody
    3. CHI - Patrick Williams and Cody White
    4. MEM - Melton, Zhaire Williams, Brandon Clarke
    All these teams are looking to compete now and in the future + have room to improve their big man rotation + have dynamic guards that can set up Wood

harold bingo, Mr Woods and xaos like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wood for Hachimura and KCP. Beal and the Wizards get a big man to complement Beal but also as an insurance policy if Montrezl Harrell's play this year slips or he bolts next summer via free agency. We get a stud 23 year old in Hachimura and KCP is just included for salary cap matching purposes. If Green and Porter are going to develop into the players we expect/hope for, we don't need more mouths to feed on the offensive end--we'll need players that can score if needed and also play defense (e.g. Sengun, Martin, Hachimura, etc.).

DeBeards and cbass like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it really comes down to how much that extension costs.

I'd be open to giving him ~$25m a year over 4 or 5 years.

I'm NOT paying him $219 / 5 or $169 / 4 which are his max numbers for starting in 2023 where he's paid $37.5m , $40.5m , $43.74m , $47.24m and $50.01m

If he is demanding that max contract , you can't pay him that so you have to move him.

jiggyfly and palmsnbananas like this.
  12. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

You gotta trade him asap, don't let him eat up our payroll. Get max value, continue to develop the younglings (tank) and draft well next summer. Get ride of EGo, House and Silas, we can accept the consequences as long as the decisions were strategic.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

agree. You keep him if he's agreeable to a team friendly contract. If he thinks he's a max contract player we have to move him because we're not a max contract player team at the moment.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You need FIVE players on the court, we have not had a 3pt shooting BIG in

F
    O
    R
    E
    V
    E
    R

One that also rolls strong and finishes strong. And, he is only 25 years old.

Is he a superstar? No, of course not, but he is HIGHLLY SKILLED - and someone you can build around as Green and Sengun and possibly Christopher get better.

DD

15. juanming

juanming Member

Wow. That last sentence really Hit me hard. My God you're right. I completely forgot about that . That would be a freaking nightmare.

If there's anything worse than having a bad coach like Silas it's having to play theis

Crap. I can't believe I completely forgot about that. I feel so stupid. You're right if we trade wood, then even if we start alpi.. we are screwed because then his backup is theis

Hot damn. Even if we trade Alpi and re-signed wood then woods backup would be theis

I am convinced that if theis even breathes on the court we will lose the game. Even as a backup role. I mean we could put garuba as backup center but I don't think they will

So the only solution is to keep and resign Christian and stick alpi as starting power forward. And then used garuba as a backup center backup power Forward

I don't think you guys understand how bad Daniel really is both Daniels Daniel house and Daniel theis

But theis is worse than house if that's even possible .when he gets in the game the offense completely utterly freaking stops. I don't know what they were thinking signing this guy......drugs?

#255 juanming, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

DD ..... Do you think its wise to pay CW max money over a 5 year span ?

$37.5m 2023
    $40.5m 24
    $43.74m 25
    $47.24m 26
    $50.01m 2027

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

The problem in keeping Wood is that while we have a pretty good idea of what his ceiling is, we have another center on the roster who likely has an even higher ceiling. You can count on one hand the number of centers in the league right now capable of running an offense, and you'd probably have a few fingers left over. Sengun is just barely over 18 and is already impacting games to some extent. Imagine him with 2 or 3 years under his belt. Keeping Wood will hurt his development, and our timeline right now fits Sengun more than it fits Wood.

As much as I like him, if we can get a good asset for Wood (FRP?), I say trade him (and Theis as well) and bring in a good backup for Sengun.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No not max money - but if he is a 20/10 guy, then yes - sure is.....because that is what the market bares, and he is good enough to win with, just need to surround him with better players....

I would offer him a lower extension than the max, and if he takes it, great, if not....then see what he gets and decide then.

However you do not WIN in the NBA without spending money.

I also think Sengun and Wood can play together....they are both good shooting 3pt centers....one can play on the perimeter....WOOD .....one in the paint.

DD

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think the FO is definitely trying to build up Wood's value here and looking to sell. Since Stone took over the GM duties, there have been very few stories coming out about the Rockets, and the ones that have have all been deliberate (think of all the leaks about how high the offers were that they were getting for Oladipo).

As well as Wood is playing, it is possible that the FO doesn't see him in their future plans and wants to sell high (I imagine the market for him is large). If I'm putting my FO hat on, I guess an argument can be made that Wood with the current roster collection will get the team to play just well enough to purgatory - .500ish, play-in or 5-seed playoff births, maybe a win here or there, but not championship contention. Planning for another lottery pick to round out the roster combined with more draft assets is perhaps the plan here.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think John Collins contract is the most you pay Wood