1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Chase Is On

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j@amc, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you misread me. I was talking about the Francis era and the post-Yao/TMac years before we got Harden. If we didn't get Yao, we would have been trapped in mediocrity. If we didn't get Harden, we would have been trapped in mediocrity. We were lucky both times.

I am hoping that this year's draft will turn out to be our luck again.

My point was, when we were going to lose Harden, we were not going to get another top 5 player back. We only had two options: (1) trade for a 2nd or 3rd tier star and stay mediocre or (2) rebuild from the ground up. Obviously neither option was very attractive. We chose #2 and we got lucky getting the #2 pick. So far so good. These kids still may turn out to be no better than 2nd or 3rd tier guys. But they at least have a chance to be special.

2. s3ts

s3ts Member

i misread and apologize, i'm just pissed.

cmoak1982 and Easy like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

burlesk likes this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about Julius Randle as a comp for Banchero?

Corrosion likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That wasn't even Morey's method. That was the mandate he had from Les Alexander. Morey has said on record that a full rebuild is the better way to go, and when Sam Hinkie, his protege, got his job as GM it's exactly what he did. Tanked to the fullest.

Very few teams in the history of the NBA have rebuilt the way Morey was forced to and the entire thing hinged on lucking out and getting a 6th man in trade who was ready to blow up and become an MVP candidate. How many times has that even happened?

And, ultimately, while we may have won a lot of games, we never won the championship. Please name a team that rebuilt that way that went on to win a championship. For that matter, please name a single other team that even attempted to rebuild while remaining competitive.

Corrosion, HP3, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

That is a pretty good comparison overall.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

New Orleans wins tonight, Rockets now in sole possession of last place.

This thing is ours to lose.

8. Radricky

Radricky Member

Chet holmgren come on down

9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Updated numbers through 20 games (4-16 overall record).
    • Estimated pace: #1
    • Total Team Points: #26 (up from dead last)
    • Total Team Assists: #25 (up from dead last)
    • Turnovers per game 18.5 (dead last, but no longer historically bad)
    • Turnover percentage (percent of plays ending with a TO): 17.5% (dead last)
    • Opponent Points off TOs: 22.6 ppg (dead last)
    • FG%: 43.4 (#28T)
    • FT% 68.9 (#29, no longer historically bad)
    • Zero road wins (0-11)
    Vast signs of improvement, especially during this three-game winning streak.

Could the chase be over after only twenty games?

fryjol7 likes this.
  10. juanming

juanming Member

Fool's Gold last three wins have Been fools gold soft Bulls team at home. Tired Hornets team on a back-to-back and of course possibly the worst team in the league the Thunder in our building

this happened last year to when we won those seven games in a row that had injuries and everybody thought we were fantastic and then we lost 20 in a row

Anyways we will not beat the Thunder in their building. But it's okay we just won three in a row. That should make the fans happy. Also we need to extend wood house and Silas

Last but not least we need to trade Alpi because he is the best player in this draft and he will not start on a team since we have Christian Wood starting and we will extend Christian wood so alpi needs to be traded before he gets upset

After all we just beat 3 Juggernaut of teams and so we are on the right track and we don't need alpi here on the bench only playing 10 minutes a game let's trade him his value is very high

While we are at it let's extend Daniel house

I do not want banchero chet or Smith. We have our starting lineup set that we will win the championship in a couple years and that is

Porter
    Green
    Mathews
    House
    Wood
    That's a championship lineup if you ask me

And if we keep winning games I really think Steven should be nominated for Coach of the Year

I think Daniel house should win comeback player of the year or most improved player

I think Christian should get MVP consideration since he took this team of losers and caused us to win three in a row

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Team changed when they got rid of Theis playing time and inserted Mathews/Brooks in to the rotation. Really excited to see Green with space. I got tired of sitting there watching him beat his man off the dribble and Theis/Tate’s guy coming over to cut him off each and every time.

Hoping we can see a

KPJ/Green/Mathews/Tate/Wood group on return.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

double post
    [​IMG]

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Getting Green back as quickly as possible is important to get the tank back on track. The Rockets are too good for a top tier pick with Green not in the game.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Last year’s pathetic start made me wonder if we were watching one of the poorest teams in the history of the NBA. And to the player’s credit, they improved to be simply terrible and not historically bad. Yes, I know we’ve played some good teams, but the trends we’re setting are noteworthy.

The roster appears slow and sometimes unathletic; the coaching staff is doggedly committed to a free-wheeling approach to offense leading to turnovers and constant frenetic possessions. And our defense is so porous on the perimeter and in the paint that I can’t bring myself to look at those absurd statistics. But are getting any better? Let’s look at three categories: pace of play, scoring, and turnovers.

Pace of Play

It does seem the 2022 Rockets walk the ball upcourt, preferring to play in quicksand. But how does that compare with last season? Weren’t we number one in pace of play at one point? The answer is yes.

Last season, the Rocket's pace of play was 101.16, the fastest pace until Minnesota edged ahead over the last half of the season (101.47). The current team is playing a little slower than last year (ranking at #13 this year, 100.54)

What needs to be noted is that seven teams (Indiana, Minnesota, Golden State, LA Lakers, Oklahoma City, and Sacramento) this season are playing faster than our pace of play numbers from last year. League-wide, teams are running. We did not get that memo.

Scoring

In terms of scoring, we are averaging 110 ppg through 23 games (#25 in the league). We ended last year at 109.7 (#19 in the league). Like last year, we rank last in the league in made FGs per game (38.9). We don't score all that well on the nights we don’t get as many whistles and FT attempts.

We’re also at #29 in Team Assists. We were dead last in this statistical category for portions of last season. Our FG% continues to hover around 44.4 % (#29). No noticeable improvements here.

Turnovers

Like last season we are dead last in turnovers per game 17.8 and turnover percentage (17.7% of our percent of plays end with a TO). Like last season, we are last in the league in opponent's points off TOs: (22.8). These numbers are almost identical (for the season, 16.5 TOs per game, 16.2%).

Road Wins

Last year 0-10 to start the year. 3-12 on the road in 2022 through fifteen games.

xtruroyaltyx and J.R. like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you, appreciated.

We have 1-2% improvement from last year.