1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Speak of the devil.

rockets1995 and Htown Legend like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are we sure the Dodgers - with Turner and Lux - are in the SS market? I certainly don't think they're in the mega-deal SS market.

3. Elienator

Elienator Member

Opt out after 2 and a no-trade as well. Obviously Verlander is higher risk, but his contract doesn’t look bad in comparison.

I know some people want to use the Lindor contract as the baseline for Correa, but this is more evidence to me that the Mets are overspending in ways that are not representative of other teams.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure the Dodgers feel the need to add a big name SS. I feel like if the Tigers sign one of the remaining SS (Seager, Storey etc.) then I think it increases the Correa to Houston chances. My gut says the Yankees aren't really in on Correa and they would prefer a different option. I'm not sure the Phillies will meet his money demands. As it is right now, it feels to me like it is Detroit or Houston. I think Houston will definitely offer more than is currently being floated. ANd the way things are going the last couple of days, this could all change in fifteen minutes.

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. right1

right1 Member

Maybe CC #1 signs with the Astros on Dec. 1st. I think baby boy Correa is due in a week or so. It would be really nice for him to celebrate in Houston with his Astros fam.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I agree on the everything can change in 15 minutes point.

The Phillies want another big bat to go next to Harper... and already have some young guns that need playing time next year in Bohm, Vierling, and Moniak... meaning they may not want to roll with Bryson Stott at SS just yet... because that would be 3-4 very young players in the lineup. Correa is a fit for them on a couple of levels... and the Phillies are being criticized for not making moves while their NL East competitors NY Mets have, and the Braves are getting better just by getting Acuna back (and maybe even Ozuna at some point). I'd say the Phillies and Tigers are the risks.

desihooper likes this.
  7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

8. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

With this Seager deal. No way Carlos takes less than the 10 years

desihooper and TexasRedd like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Oh sweet Jesus, Seager just signed a monster contract. Correa is better than Seager. This is not a good comp for the Astros' pursuit of Correa.

Time to usher in the Jeremy Pena era!

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

holy crap rangers; those are huge committments

desihooper likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Holy ****. $325M/10yrs is a HUGE contract. Seager is really really good but damn. Risky deal and I will be surprised if it results in any rings in Arlington.

Zero chance Correa ends up in Houston now. Put that baby to bed. Crane won’t give $350M+.

desihooper likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

WTF are the rangerz doing?

Squirtle, zeeshan2 and BigM like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's easy for the Rangers because of where their financials are currently..... Including Seager's contract the Rangers' payroll is only 141 million. Rangers have nearly an identical local TV deal to the Astros. They haven't had the success they hoped in developing players that the Astros had in their rebuild so they are doing it a little different.

14. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

You have to wonder if the Rangers preferred Seager over Correa. I would have thought Correa would have accepted an offer like that(?).

robbie380 and BigM like this.
  15. Marteen

Marteen Member

Dodgers might lose Scherzer, Seager, and Kershaw this offseason. Oof.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  16. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Not if he’s getting a better one.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’d have to think so, unless the Yankees or the Dodgers have a 10 year deal on the table. Even if Detroit came up with 350 I’m thinking he’d take 325 just to stay in Texas. There’s also the possibility that every team prefers Seager.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

****. Correa to Dodgers or Yankees?

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would guess Seattle, Detroit, Philadelphia, or the New York Yankees

desihooper likes this.
  20. Elienator

Elienator Member

Either that or Carlos just didn’t want to sign before the CBA deadline and Seager / Rangers wanted to move sooner.

Obviously this sets a comp, but are other teams going to be willing to spend like the Rangers? 10/300 is certainly looking like a reality.

The AL West is getting more competitive, but more teams spending is good for baseball.

BigM and Rockets FTW like this.