1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With what we know about Alpren, who do you think he pair with better. Chet or Banchero?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Nov 28, 2021.

?

Better front court fit with Alpren for the future?

1. Chet

40.0%
  2. Banchero

43.8%
  3. Other

16.2%
  1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

#1 Jabari
    #2 Banchero
    #3 CWOOD

palmsnbananas and burlesk like this.
  2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I just want a big with star potential and all of these guys fit the bill.

IF (keyword) all hit thier potential Chet is the best pick for his unicorn skill set as a two way player. Chet and Green also complement each other. Chet might never be the lead scorer on a championship team but will fill all the other gaps, including defense. Green might develop into a great scorer with solid defense but Chet could potentially be a game changer on that end.

But if Chet is a bust due to his physical limitations, Paolo could possibly walk into the league and be a 20 pt 10 reb player for a decade. A bigger Carmelo or rich mans Randle is a perennial all star.

But I honestly I'm taking a hard look at Smith. He is athletic, has a shot, puts the ball on the floor and is younger than both Chet and Paolo. He can score and has shown some ability to defend. He may turn out to be the best player in the draft, I don't know.

I also may change my mind as I see them play this season with new info about their skills. Really I just want a draft pick and a seat at the table to choose one of them this year.

Find a superstar to win a ring, don't settle for being decent.

#42 OkayAyeReloaded, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jaden Hardy also a legit top 4 pick in 2022.

Rockets will have options if picking top 5.

burlesk and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am very skeptical of Chet simply because of his body frame - I can see him either be very injury prone or getting pushed around a lot and note being effective. But if we are just talking about fit, I guess he would fit better than Banchero. Isn't he said to be a Durant kind of player - or maybe Giannis. Meaning he is almost more of a three on offense.

Jabari Smith seems to be an even better fit as a big guy that can stretch the field and play the 3 - he would also fit nicely next to Green. But if we can choose between all the prospects, i would still take Banchero right now, despite other players being a better fit. I would just still take the best player and worry about fit later...

NewAge and hlmbasketball like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Best player and most ball dominant player are 2 different things.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Honestly I am not qualified to label Someone the best player - he just looks like the one to me. If others disagree that’s fine! My main point is, don’t draft for fit, draft the best player (or maybe a combination of best player now/potential for best player in the future).

7. juanming

juanming Member

We won't be bad enough to finish in the top three

Since we have changed our lineup we are much better and will win too many games

And that is just with benching theis. We win two games over quality opponents and we have not even started alpi yet. When we do that hopefully we will be even better than now

Point being I think it is a pipe dream to get jabari Chet or banchero

Are starting lineup next year will be this:
    Porter
    Green
    Tate
    Sengun
    Wood

I defy anybody to disagree with me. Tillman Stone and Steven all love Tate wood and Porter we are not changing a damn thing we are not tanking

I know it look like we were tanking earlier in the season but we were not that is from playing Daniel..

I think Tillman Steven and stone got together talked about firing Stephen and they all concluded it might be Daniel's fault let's bench Daniel and sure enough they're playing much better

So there you go

I think we will try for the play in

honestly I think the draft in 2023 is much much better with Henderson Bates and wambanana

but again we will be too good in 2023 to get one of those three so our team is actually set we just need them to start alpi at power forward in his team will take off
    Of course since I am so much smarter then the front office they won't do these changes till the end of the year such as starting alpi... And when fans complain and say why didn't you start alpi sooner, The Narrative from the Rockets media will be "he wasn't ready we didn't want to rush him and ruin his confidence"

I guarantee that's already The Narrative being written out guarantee it to explain their dumbness of starting Daniel

They will never ever ever admit that they were dumb enough in the first 18 games to start Daniel so the narrative will be "we needed to give alpi more time to get confidence"

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the love of god stop it with the double C lineups.

On no planet will Sengun ever be a Forward in the NBA, lol.

palmsnbananas, D-rock and sydmill like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I mean... like... I mean c'mon like... I feel like you know that's not the only difference but like... I mean like you won't say what the glaringly obvious other change is?

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If both Wood and Sengun can get their 3-pt avg up to 35% they can play together.

D-rock likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like Banchero 1st and Jabari 2nd. These 2 can dribble the ball fluidly and guard sg/sf and space it out for Sengun or Wood. We don't need another paint clogger like Chet. I like Chet more than Sengun

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agree, except for Chet better than Sengun. I think Sengun is a star in waiting. I think Chet is good, not great.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

Edit

I'll hedge my bets here and say all of this is subject to change. Chet or Smith could easily be the go to number 1 by the end of the season. Early days still and these things are fluid

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think it would be ideal to get someone who can provide some rim protection. Not too worried about fit alongside Sengun at the moment.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I could be wrong but I just don't see Chet being the #1 pick, he may be lower lottery. To me he's closer to Bol Bol than KD.

NBADRAFT NET compared him to KD....No way!

HTown_TMac and palmsnbananas like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet has guard handles and isn’t a traditional center

D-rock likes this.
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Wood is nice. The problem we have with him is that he's not a #1 or #2 option on a championship team, even if he improves a little. He's not a guy that takes over games. He's a guy that can put up good numbers in the flow of the offense. The problem is those good numbers may lead to him getting paid like a superstar when he's a free agent. I wouldn't care about that if it was just a luxury tax issue but it may hurt our cap position and prevent us from picking up other free agents while we're still rebuilding.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Banchero is the better fit with Sengun and with Green/KPJ for that matter. Chet may, if he puts on weight and avoids injury, be the better player long term. He has the higher ceiling. But Banchero's floor is much higher IMO. I think Banchero is a double double guy in the NBA tomorrow with the chance to be a 20/10 in the near future. The fact that Banchero is a 3/4 and Chet is 4/5 leads me to think he would be a better fit next to Sengun (who I think is better as a 5 btw). And the PnR game with Green/KPJ and Paolo would be nasty. For me it is Banchero all day compared to Chet. As for Jabari Smith, I'm conflicted. I think that Smith has a higher floor than Chet and a higher ceiling than Banchero. Whereas I see Banchero as a mix of Chris Webber's game in Carlos Boozer's body, I think that Jabari is, potentially, a rich man's Rashard Lewis or John Collins with better defense than either.

Tangent: I think the Rockets are pretty well set at Guard with KPJ/Green/Christopher/Brooks (though I would be interested in a change of pace pg like Andrew Nembhard) and at Center with a Sengun/Garuba combo (though I would probably look to add an end of the bench big like Badji or Cockburn to have some size and 6 available fouls against the Jokics and Embiids of the world). What the Rockets lack in terms of future foundational pieces is at forward. Martin is the only guy that may fit that category (as much as I love Tate).

19. BonziWellsGOAT

I agree he's not KD but I don't see him dropping out of the top 5. Too much intrigue as a prospect. He would have to have an awful season or get hurt

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Banchero could be the best player in this draft, but there is no denying that he is one of the most ball dominant.

And his defense is good, not great. Certainly not elite.

Rockets already have 2 young ball dominant building block players in Green and Sengun (3 if you count Jaygup too).

Everyone says to forget fit and draft best player but if you have 4-5 ball dominant players then your team will suck, no matter how talented.

Is Banchero a generational talent is the better question.