1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Correa, Seager, Story, Baez, and Taylor are all unsigned. Bryant, Pham, Conforto, Castellanos, and Schwarber could all slide into Houston’s lineup nicely assuming the Astros are ok with bad overall outfield defense.

I don’t necessarily predict Houston to sign any of those guys, but there’s a lot of offseason to go despite the high volume of early activity.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Screaming Fist

no way in hell they sign Seager or Correa. Won’t sign Taylor because of the QO. I also don’t see them signing Story or Baez as the

3. raining threes

So he traded prospects for guys to fix the Baez mistake and then doesn't re-sign them even though the money was comparable.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. raining threes

Exactly

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

But the advanced stats show Neris as a comparable pitcher to Graveman but continue on with your click hate.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. raining threes

Has Neris pitched in the playoffs/WS successfully? They're making about the same money.

To disagree with Click's moves doesn't mean I hate him. I actually kinda like the fact that last year he admitted his mistakes and traded to rectify his bullpen mistakes that he made last off season.

#1366 raining threes, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  7. raining threes

Give me what Luhnow left Click minus the draft picks and I'm very happy.

BTW, shouldn't you be blaming Hinch for the loss of those picks?

8. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Gotcha. Your post made it seem like you didn’t like him. I wouldn’t blame Neris for the overall Phillies success. There are a ton of reliever that are on non playoff teams that are signed to deals similar deals to relievers who have had playoff experience. Neris should benefit with a better defensive infield as well as coaching/better pitch selection.

9. Jeremy Williams

Sure. Preference was for Neris.

10. raining threes

Wrong, if you think I'm doing a bunch of 1 to 1 choices, then how many 1 to 1 choices to I have to point out before you start to realize there's a pattern. It's not so much just Castro, but when you combine the three Castro/Odorizzi/Baez moves that could've given you the money to get a solid SP which if the Stros had done they probably would'e won the WS. Now it appears Click has repeated last offseason's mistake by overpaying a slightly above avg Neris. Tell you what get back to me when Click needs money at the deadline and doesn't have the money to make moves because of moves like this one.

I dont think Luhnow is infalable. Obviously he failed in the Gomez/Fiers trade. It's just he understood finances and player values better. But that's to be expected.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. raining threes

The coaching aspect is a real wildcard. We dont know if that's an upgrade or not.

12. raining threes

Yes, Click did some good.

He admitted his Baez mistake and re-built the bullpen at the deadline.

As far as his offseason signings the last two years, I've been unimpressed and his overpay in FA isn't good either. But this doesn't mean I hate the man.

13. Landry's Tooth

Dj, Arenado, and larry walker all hit well on the road while in Colorado... story, not so much...

Hard pass for me...

14. raining threes

I was using him as an example as the type of pitcher you could've gotten for the money you spent on the other three FA signings.

Say Sonny Gray or one of the Cleveland pitchers as another example.

15. raining threes

I really like this plan. The everyday lineup would be even better with Bryant. Do you think Click could sign Bryant then a guy like Galvis on the cheap in case Pena isn't ready and stay in budget?

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would like Bryant but he is probably getting more than the 5/125 Hemingway suggested. He's a Boras client and I expect something closer to 6/160. I read an article that seemed like Boras propaganda suggesting Bryant looking for a contract the same size as Rendon. I don't see that happening though.

I would expect the Astros would need to move some salary if they signed someone like Bryant, Story, etc. Trading Odorizzi and non-tendering Montero would potentially save up to 17.85 million when you include Odorizzi's incentives. I think that would allow them to sign someone to a large contract and bring in a SS like Galvis.

17. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Why do you think the Astros won’t spend into the luxury tax? Seems to me Crane wouldn’t mind going over the threshold since the team is in all-in mode.

18. HTown2017Champs

Odorizzi is likely on the move as he and Dusty seem to have bad blood. And there's really no room for him on the roster.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

First, we don't know what the luxury tax will be. Also, the pitching staff is getting pretty full right now so I expect some type of movement. However, adding Bryant and a Galvis type would put the payroll over 220 million. Crane has done that 1 time before and that was pre-pandemic.

Verlander, McCullers, Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Odorizzi, Javier, Pressly, Neris, Stanek, Maton, Baez, and Montero

That's 13 pitchers right there with no room for a lefty like Taylor or any of our other young guys like Abreu or Dubin to have a shot. I seriously doubt Odorizzi is going to be okay with being in the bullpen when a LARGE part of his potential income is incentives based on innings (up to 6.75 million). He has already been a cry baby once. I doubt Click wants to keep him around if he can free up the money to use on something else.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man the Rangers, WTF are they doing.

Should we spend all this money on some upside projects that can benefit us long term. Nah, lets throw money at a guy who likely won't be any good by the time we're ready to compete again. Lose a pick this year, and win a few extra games to hurt our draft next year.