1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don't think anybody thinks that turnovers are okay. They are not. He definitely has a lot of improvement there. But '19 year old rookie have some aspect of his game that needs to improve' is not shocking news.

It is not hard to see he has strong instincts, high bbiq, good passing ability, sets good screens, hustles every ball, is much better on defense than advertised, even shoots 3s. That deserves at least 20 minutes on this team. And it is not about whether he is the next Hakeem or somebody else.
    He is fun to watch, and people like watching fun, unique players. He has potential and people want to make sure it is not wasted.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be fair Parsons was like the 3rd best player on a team that should have gone to the conference finals if it wasn’t for the Dame dagger. Easy to forget how good he was as a 3rd option before he got paid. Still a douche but was solid before his age really showed on his knees. If Sengun can be the third best player on a contender that’s still a decent find in the mid lottery.

But holy hell I think he can be way freaking better. I see touches of Pau Gasol when that guy gets the ball in the high post. If Adelman was still able to coach at his age I would never shut up about how we need to hire him back.

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I would be hesitant to criticise either of the rookies at this point. They are very young, came to a bottom team with no structure, no vets to learn from. They both have a tough road ahead of them.

On the other hand, Alperen is already better than expected and ready to play. And not getting minutes even though he performs well. So that is usually the first thing to point out before criticising his game. On top of that it is very hard to get into rhythm in limited minutes. It would be kind of unfair in that sense too.

Hopefully he gets more minutes and we can take the **** out of him.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Or they will have to trade Wood and let Sengun be the full time starting center.

noppeper, aaquaa, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, all of my Sengun minute related posts are assuming that Wood is on the team. Things get much easier if/when he's gone.

fattz and Easy like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The ideal situation would be trade Wood and Gordon for a good quality veteran PG and some good picks. Let either KPJ or Green come off the bench taking Gordon's 6th man role. Start Sengun at the 5. I wouldn't mind keeping Theis as the backup center.

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Might I interest you in a good quality veteran PG who is already on the team? :D

slothy420, Easy and fattz like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

I’m for Alpi getting all of the minutes he can handle.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Thank you for that thread! I checked out the lineups Alperen played in after reading the suggestions there, actually no line up not containing Theis and Wood together got meaningful amount of time on the floor to get tested, and Alpi
    This sounds good. But i don't think KPJ will accept a 6th man role. That's precisely why I am done with him. He is talented and has value but you can never depend on him at the end of the game, and probably he values himself much more than he really is. So I would also go ahead and trade him as well.

CHAMPBOY and aaquaa like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. BonziWellsGOAT

Honestly I would start Green, KPJ and Sengun and have JC as the sixth man. Screw it they need all the NBA playing time they can get.

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with you there. But two things. One, KPJ's trade value might not be very good precisely because he is still a gamble because of his attitude issue. Two, if Eric Gordon can accept a 6th man role, why can't he. It doesn't mean he will have less PT. Same with Harden in OKC. His game actually fits well in that role.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't let all the kids play together and expect them to learn. This is not high school basketball. You need some veteran presence on the floor. I think that's why Silas tried to keep Theis in the starting lineup. It didn't work out very well. It has been good with Gordon there after Green went down. But EG is not a full time PG.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am actually not against playing Wall in limited minutes.

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He would suit better in a team where it is clear that he is a complementary piece rather than a main piece. This reminds me of Jordan Clarkson, he was thrash in Cleveland but is serving well in Utah. I think Houston is not the right place for KPJ. I believe he can assume the role you suggested on a stronger, well-established team, with few minutes though.

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member