1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just going to ignore the play of Garrison Mathews?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by {icebox425}, Nov 17, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Obviously from the broadcast it's Gritty Gary? :rolleyes::D

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

G-Mat to the mat (taking a charge)

jch1911, harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Whoa I like.

blows Splash Brothers away

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He's been impressive. Reminds me a little of a Joe Harris. Not quite as good of a shooter but close... He's at 37.1% this year on volume and is almost 39% for his short career.

He gets spacing and often sets up in the corners. He doesn't feel like a zero on the other end. I like what I see from him so far.

palmsnbananas, Nook, jcmoon and 16 others like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Neck beard Mathews FTW!

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hungry hustle player, good shooter, quick 3 point trigger. Knack for drawing charges, and getting fouled on 3 point attempts. Good vertical. Determined on d. Gotta say it but looks the "intangibles" type. You know, boxing out, loose balls, tapouts, all that..
    Right now just 1 dimensional catch & shoot player. While good motor on d, footwork isnt great in 1 on 1. Other team regularly "sliding his a** all over" the court going right at him. But he has that confident "B-D-E" you like seeing in a role player seizing opportunity. Not afraid in big moment

D-rock, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he reminds me of a black battier

8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

these type of guys are like gold for any team. They play all out and they set an example of the effort you need to make progress. I love the guy I hope he continues to prosper.

fattz, D-rock, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  9. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Nope, but I knew yall would praise your great white hope. Predictable broken record, find fault in brothers, find praise in the players that look like you. Shocker every time.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Racist.
    Just stop posting. You honestly should be banned

11. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

"White people are not allowed to root for their own"

Room temp IQ take, racist on top of that.

ThrillaNManilla and Zen Tabak like this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am very aware that racism is alive and well in this world, but come on. The same people who are getting excited about Garrison Mathews are the same people who were excited last year about Jae'Sean Tate. We all love when the team discovers gritty role players that none of us saw coming. And I hope both Tate and Mathews are with the team for a long time to come.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He is a pleasant surprise!
    When he runs around it looks like he is about to fall on his face - seems to have issues getting the next foot down.
    But he hustles and is hungry.
    Knows what he needs to do in defence, and that is put his body on the line. Seems a passable rebounder. Good shooter.

He'll do!

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is his last name too short for you to be his Only Fan? If you add his first name, it's quite long. :D

15. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

I'm pleased to say Brooks has looked much better the last few games since I made this thread. Forcing things less and taking opportunities in the flow of the offense. Can we be happy with players black / white / hispanic / whatever and just see them as basketball players?

jch1911 and vlaurelio like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe you havent been paying attention Dort has evolved into Kawhi jr. He has been among OKC's best players now.

I like GM but this is similar to Tate his age means his ceiling wont be higher than Tate or House. He is a role player.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shut your pie hole - this is not about skin color it is about playing style and hustle.....What a ****ing ridiculous thing to say, we have enough problems in this country with the way African American's are treated, but criticism on the basketball court is not one of them.

If any of the other players on the team, BLACK OR WHITE, played like Garrison, and made shots and took charges, folks would praise them too. Heck, we already do with Tate.....my gawd!

Ridiculous comments like yours undermine the important ones like BLM.

DD

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you are talking about NBA population, majority is African American and the Caucasian are fewer in numbers and commonly less athletic so they make up for it by taking high quality shots, intangibles, effort and so on.

To call him White hope is exeggeration, but some like them for sure. Just hoop and hops.

#138 daywalker02, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  19. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Mathews isn't white, he's Turkish

20. DreamR

DreamR Member

The man has a quick trigger like Gerald Green did

I don't even think he looks at the basket before he starts shooting sometimes

The shooting of both Mathews and Armoni are a big part of why we've won our last two games

Hope they stay hot

D-rock likes this.