1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: 2022's version of Scottie Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like him. He understands the importance of spacing and he can shoot it.

hakeem94, ickaruto, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Big fan of this dude.

he actually kind of reminds me the most of a slightly shorter/less wingspan Mobley with a better outside shot already and probably more forward like already but not as good defensively or at passing.

he’s like a combo of Mobley/Barnes/Chet/Paolo. Like a jackknife type player.

also unless my math is wrong he’s very young for his class. Birthday in May 2003 so he turned 18 just as he was finishing high school so tons of upside still. I mean they all have to a of upside potentially at that age but he’s 6 months younger than Paola for example.

3. H. Christopher

Dude could be #1 pick. Very good 3+D as a rookie next year automatically

larry cook and D-rock like this.
  4. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

5. MystikArkitect

Would not mind this guy at all at #3 or #4 if we draft that low. Definitely a good year to be in need of a power forward.

hakeem94, Denovo and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

I'm going to focus on Smith, Ivey and others in the 3-6 pick range in addtion to Chet and Paolo.

Smith may well be the best player from this draft, but I'd like to see more from him to get a better feel for his potential.

D-rock likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How about trade Jalen Green and the Nets picks for Chet and draft Paolo or Smith

C Paolo
    PF Sengun
    SF Chet
    SG Kevin Porter Jr
    PG convince Fox/Young/Luka to sign. easy enough. then profit

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/29/nba-draft-stock-watch-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren-jabari-smith

Jabari Smith gains traction as a top-two pick

The major subplot to everything happening in Vegas last week was the continued emergence of Auburn’s Jabari Smith Jr, who put together a trio of strong performances at the Battle 4 Atlantis and is building a legitimate argument as a potential No. 1 pick. While I wouldn’t venture to label anything as a consensus right now, I do think there’s increasing steam behind Smith taking his place as the No. 2 prospect in the minds of many of the league’s decision-makers, which was reflected in his placement in last week’s mock draft. Based on the buzz in Vegas and what we saw in the Duke-Gonzaga game, the prospect with the best chance to usurp Banchero at No. 1 is Smith, not Holmgren.

Smith is an entire year younger than Holmgren. He’s big and skilled. And he plays both ends. The composure and competitiveness Smith has displayed through his first six college games is an extremely positive indicator for what may be coming. I thought Smith’s 22-point performance in Auburn’s double-overtime loss to UConn last week spoke volumes. He played a poor first half and picked up his third foul on a mental mistake in the closing seconds. He bounced back with an admirable performance the rest of the way, finishing 12-of-12 from the foul line and contributing heavily to his team’s efforts. The Tigers fell short, but most teenagers playing under the type of microscope Smith has on him would have a difficult time bouncing back like that.

The level of focus and competitive intensity he’s brought to every game has won him a lot of fans in front offices. It’s easy to nitpick his shot selection, but I’m not all that concerned yet—not only is he shooting 43% from three and 84% from the line, but he’s made the most of a situation where his guards tend to be a bit sticky with the basketball. He's also been so much better defensively than expected.

The smart money remains on Banchero going first—the odds are he’ll offer whoever wins the lottery far too much star upside and bankable floor to pass on. Still, I’ve spoken to a number of high-ranking individuals around the league who think Smith offers the most upside of any player in the draft, Banchero included. Imagining scenarios where a GM with tons of job security—say, Sam Presti—wins the draft lottery, it’s not out of the question that Smith could be the guy.

D-rock, Denovo, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  9. JayZ750

Love it. Alpi-Smith would be one heck of a 4-5.
    * Both guys can defend.
    * Both guys can dribble.
    * Both guys can extend with range. BTW, Jabari already has 1 more 3 in college than Mobley did his whole year (and is shooting 43% vs. Mobley's 30%)
    * Both guys can pass - Alpi obviously dominates here, but Jabari is averaging more per game than Mobley did in college.
    * Both guys are SOLID screen setters (this is a very underrated skill in the NBA imo, and is part of the Warriors dominance.

Jabari is what I wanted Mobley to "look like" to take him at 2. Obviously, judge a book by its cover issues, but Jabari just looks more fluid and a better spacer than Mobley did in college, while albeit not being the defender of Mobley (though he has so far matched Mobley's 90 DRTg and is very good at defense himself).

At the moment, I'd be ecstatic with him as the pick.

larry cook, D-rock, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Yes, so far he is a top 3 pick but Pablo is more polished player than Smith right now, but Smith is a better defender than Pablo.

Pablo is a LEAD DOG on a Championship team, Chet is a #2 on a Championship team, but Chet can be elite on defense and passing. However, it does not seem he wants the ball every time down the floor. Jabari Smith wants to be a LEAD DOG but he make mistakes but can be a solid #2. Jabari, is 6'10 and moves likes me 6'5, he is physical, good defender and he can play inside and out. I would love to see a Duke vs Auburn matchup!!!

ickaruto likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

This dude is so smooth and impressive:

I think this draft may have a nice trio of bigs that makes getting a top 3 pick worthwhile. Jabari's size/frame, IQ, and shooting touch is just so tantalizing as the focal point of Auburn's offense.

D-rock, jiggyfly, ickaruto and 3 others like this.
  12. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah, it's crazy how smooth and polished he looks while at the same time oozing potential. I don't think we'll see another KD, and I know there are at least 2 KD-lites every draft, but Jabari is the closest I've seen in recent memory. Closer than Mobley, Chet, Poku, and JJJ. Jabari looks like he actually has some shake and off the dribble shooting.

He has some similarities to Michael Porter Jr, but with way more defensive potential, intensity, and no injury history.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy with this kid too. He looks really damn good.

D-rock, dmoneybangbang and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have not been checking for Smith but from the little I have seen I like him over both Paolo and Chet, he seems to have all of Banchero's offensive ability and is a better athlete.

This is gonna be a great draft and I need to start watching more of Smith.

D-rock and arif1127 like this.
  15. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

He's my #2 pick. Aside from his handle, most well rounded player in this draft with ZERO bust potential. He can shoot, play defense, pass a bit. The NBA bloodlines are a massive plus, NBA families almost always outperform their draft slot. Smith is a #2 on a title contending team at his best, a Mobley/AD-lite type player. At his worst, he's John Collins/Christian Wood, a 3-&-D Center with all-star potential.

#35 Tuckankhamun, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    D-rock, palmsnbananas and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Funny, but it wasn't Kwame's fault he got picked #1 overall. He goes #7 and he's remembered as a decent role player that played a decade in the league.

Crashlanded19 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. JayZ750

Guys…. Smith is the real deal.

another game another dominant performance.

3-6 from three so now shooting 49%!!! From three. He’s over 80% from the line. Conclusion… not a fluke. He can f’ing shoot.

4 assists. Another decent assist game. He can pass.

3 steals. No blocks but he’s getting steals or blocks or both every game.

yes, still hasn’t played a top tier team and opponent…

but I love this dude.

D-rock, Denovo and ickaruto like this.
  18. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Video shows good and bad plays. Good game for him overall. Shows a little vision and passing, but very much a work in progress. Some careless TOs. Same with his handles. It's all functional for a 6'10 guy..probably above average actually, but I think he has the potential to improve a lot more.

D-rock likes this.
  19. JayZ750

Yeah, he's clearly not a SF. PF/C for sure.

Whereas Banchero is also a PF, but would be more adept at playing SF/PF than PF/C imo.

Maybe one day he improves his handles enough to be a SF type, but i don't really see it. Same way with Mobley... people keep pushing that narrative, and while it might work in some non-traditional way on teams that "fit", on the whole, he's a big.

But its all SO SO functional.

He's Mobley, with a much better shot, so far, but not quite the defensive upside, but A there anyways. What's not to like?

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Banchero has way more handles than Mobley.