1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a new plan to take care of our elders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Nov 28, 2021.

1. VanityHalfBlack

My neighbor’s dad just turn 85. He can no longer take care of himself. His dad lives in Tennessee, his wife is old too and can’t care for him like bathing, feeding, etc… He can’t walk or sit straight without falling. My neighbor took him to one of those caretaker places with his own suite with full care and check this out. It cost $6,800 a month for him to stay there. Life insurance can only cover so much and he was a veteran and that doesn’t cover even half of it. My question is why it cost so much to take care of our elders? What is the solution? Live till 50? Cause **** be expensive when you get older. Our body’s will eventually break down, who goin take care of us?

ElPigto and Slyonebluejay like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the solution that other cultures have come up with is for elderly folk to be cared for by their children.

3. VanityHalfBlack

thats understandable, but sometimes the children live in another state or some don’t even have kids. It’s tough. Damn come to think of it, wish I had multiple baby mamas now lol.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whelp, this is a D&D thread.

Medical care costs in the US are based on a myriad of factors.

Want to help your kids take better care of you? Take better care of yourself now.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

By having unaffordable housing and a lack of rural real estate. That’s the biggest issue here to seniors having poor living conditions. They can live out in the country in states like Texas for next to nothing while their kids live 150 miles away in the city. They then don’t have anyone to make sure they are living in a healthy condition and taking care of themselves.

The US is great that it offers retirees a quiet life with a lot of space to get away from the big cities and suburbs after they retire, but doesn’t have the best infrastructure to handle seniors when they can’t handle independence anymore.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is the future, nothing is more important than keeping old people alive.

ryan_98 and STR8Thugg like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What if you let him out there, and God forbid, he crapped his pants?

ryan_98, VanityHalfBlack and Xerobull like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

elon musk could probably sell 0.01% of one of his stocks and use that monies to support all elderly people in north america.

ElPigto and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He will but just needs to crunch the numbers and see more transparency and the prospectus first.

jiggyfly, Nook, Squirtle and 3 others like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You can't count on Millennians to take care of anything.

jiggyfly and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

In your last sentence, you answered your own question on why it costs so much money.

Who wants to wipe an old guy's butt every day?
    Bathe him?
    Cut his toenails?
    Constantly monitor him?
    Brush his teeth?

It's a LOT of unpleasant, thankless work. That's why it's so expensive.

desihooper and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When it becomes a business, it has to be profitable and the liability goes through the roof. I told my family is if the prognosis is me not being able to wipe my own ass, then let me die.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It cost my parents $70k a year to hire a live-in full-time caregiver. We got extremely lucky. She's an angel and she decided to leave her job at a caregiving company to join our family.

But then there are all the other expenses.

15. VanityHalfBlack

What if the nurse is hot? By the time we get old, we goin be livin in 40k hd. If you eyes and mouth still good to go, wipe on my friend! I'm still goin eat booty at 85! I'm from Alief!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The design is to eliminate inheritances completely and transfer all assets to corporations. You either die from a disease like cancer or from running out of money. There is no death by "getting old" in America. You die when the money runs out and your property is gone.

DonnyMost, Nook, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Doesn't Star Trek kill them all off at 70?

Yes. It's not only expensive, it's terrible. There's no easy road. But I think you gotta try and keep them in their home.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

There is a funny Tom Arnold story where he said je used to wipe his Dad's ass every day for like 3 years, doing the son thing, and then one day his dad said he could wipe his own ass the entire time. Funny.

jiggyfly, Nook, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hot nurses that not only wipe your ass but allow you to eat their booty at 85 years old cost more than 6K a month. I've looked into it and I can't afford it.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My opinion won't be popular, my plan is moving to Mexico at my old age and getting a caretaker there for much cheaper. I don't expect my kids to take care of me. Personally I don't think that should be the expectation unless the kids really really want to look after you. That shouldn't be the expectation though. We were brought into this world not by choice. I looked after my grandma for 5 years before she passed away. It was incredibly stressful especially when no one could look after her like I did. My uncle was an ass to her and would get impatient and my cousins only pretended to want to help to put up good appearances. I don't want that stress for my kids.

jiggyfly, Nook, Squirtle and 8 others like this.