1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

With what we know about Alpren, who do you think he pair with better. Chet or Banchero?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Nov 28, 2021.

?

Better front court fit with Alpren for the future?

1. Chet

40.0%
  2. Banchero

43.8%
  3. Other

16.2%
  1. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Both are unique very good prospects.

Banchero: Versatile big man that has a great inside/outside game. Good handles for a big and small the NBA body already. When I watch him I see a lead dog for a nba franchise that will avg alive 20-25pts a game and like 7-10 boards a game. A true Stud. Reminds me about of a Blake Griffin/ Julius Randle hybrid.

Chet: I don't think his star will shine as much as Palo.... cause you know flashy dunks/ step back 3's gets all the rave now. But he is a real unicorn... it's hard for me to find a comp for him. That's how unique he is. He will do all the things that make your team a winner. His ability for a guy that big is crazy... most 7'2 guys run like they got wooden legs. His defensive instincts are crazy good, just as well as his court vision. I mean he can hit the 3 as well but won't be the scorer banchero is. I know I will get flack about this comp but I sat here awhile think and I think he can impact the game like a taller Andrei Kirilenko. This dude you to piss me off as a rockets fan. Was such a impact player and I hate Utah players.

With all that being said. I think the rockets need to go with that lenght and crazy defensive upside. Alpren most likely have offense go thru him going foward. The rockets are so so lucky to have him. He had MVP potential. Yeah I said that. I think a banchero/alpi front court could hinder Alpi from truly developing into what he should be. Honestly think Alpi upside the best of all 3 of those guys. Although he plays very good defense, we can all see it would be better if he had a taller shutdown big playing with him.

And I think you always can find a 20pt 10reb guy... I mean look we got one in Wood. Randle is in that range too. Blahhh. I rather have a unique talent to pair with Alpren. And yes I know he skinny as ****. Others have succeeded that skinny and poor in muscle.

What u guys think is a better fit for the future?

2. BonziWellsGOAT

Jabari but if it's the number 1 you gotta go Banchero

3. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I want Chet if only because the team would instantly average 15 blocks per game and 20 steals.

We'd finally have smart defenders holding the team down for the first time since CP3 and the switch-everything defense got us to #4.

In terms of defense, I'd take Smith over Banchero. Paolo can be a special talent on offense but his lateral quickness and footspeed aren't elite for his size. Could end up like KAT where he needs a defensive big around him at all times.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

As long as we have SIlas, Sengun will come off the bench unless his job is threatened or they trade Wood. I dont see Silas benching anyone for whoever we get next year either he doesnt respect rookies at all so Tate will start for the foreseeable future. No sense in even discussing this.

#4 Joe Rocket, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    aaquaa and berkowsk like this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Give me Jabari, even if we’re at #1. Too many people obsessed with intangibles.

Jabari is the best player in this draft.

6. DreamR

DreamR Member

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer.

Sengun is the kind of player that can gel well with any player due to his high basketball IQ and playmaking instincts.

I will say however that for a team to be able to contend for a championship, rim protection is an absolutely necessary skill for big men to have.

There are exceptions, of course. But having it can massively improve a team's defense.

That is why if I had to go with one of those two players I would go with Chet.

I also think that, if need be, it's easier to find a similar player to Banchero in future drafts than a Chet. (except for maybe the 2023 draft with Victor)

7. Nook

Nook Member

You take the player that has the largest overall positive impact on your team and the game. That’s something the Rockets should have done with the #2 pick and didn’t. There is a chance he becomes elite (Green) but he doesn’t impact the game like Mobley and Barnes do. In this draft the player that impacts the game the most is Chet Holmgren. He is excellent defensively almost all the way around and has offensive skills and a high basketball IQ. Teams with players like that tend to win.

luckyman76, vince, BigggReddd and 6 others like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes, I agree. I feel like I valued offense too highly and made a mistake when I said I wanted Green over Mobley. But overall impact is what matters most in this game.

aaquaa likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're likely not getting either one. Silver will give us 3 or 4, after the 2 this last year.

slothy420 and juanm34 like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah. Even if we have the worst record it's only like a 50% chance to land top 3...so people should not get ahead of themselves...

groovemachine and Plowman like this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends how much Silver wants to F* us. If we don't get the top draft pick or even 2nd pick, I would keep an eye on Daimion Collins. He's 6'9 with a 7-5 wingspan. If he can knock down the three better, the guy could be a steal. He hits the boards, defends, good court vision and blocks an F ton of shots. Those arms are absolutely rediculous. Guy reminds me of Barnes, Rodman, Draymond Green.

DJ and Plowman like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

prolly embiid or jokic. but ayton would be a solid pair too

Nook likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Jabari Smith looks so smooth.

and so far he’s shooting over 40% from three.

Rockets get a top 3 pick and they are golden imo.

I think any of the top three guys makes this a really good exciting young team.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Who fits better next to Sengun ? Chet .... no doubt about it.

I do feel like Banchero is probably the better player overall.

Rashmon likes this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

People here really sleep on Wood. Wood is our building block.

vince likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Everyone should have learned the lesson last year on "pair with" when it came to Wood/Mobley, or the countless other times it came up in the past.

"Pair with" doesn't matter at this stage when you're just picking high and hoping to get a star, any star.

Lloyd Estacio, Easy, xaos and 2 others like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But there's 100% chance to be top 5

18. H. Christopher

Chet or Jabari for me personally. If we can get a top 3 pick were Gucci

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

You take the best player available with the most upside. That's why Cade went #1 and Jalen went #2. You don't take glue guys at #1.

Luckily none of the top 3 in this draft seem to be that.

vince likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

CWOOD

NewAge likes this.