1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. HTown2017Champs

I understand and respect that.
    The "other ace" in my fantasy, BTW (since you asked "who is moved for him?"), was Chas McCormick + Bryan Abreu (and maybe a throw-in) for Chris Bassitt.

The Beard likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

Is Mullins really *that* good? He would seem like a strong regression to the means candidate, granted I don’t know a ton about him.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) Tweeted:
    Marte Mets deal is $78M, 4 years

Marteen likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Mets going nuts today.

An outfield of Canha, Marte, and Nimmo is solid

4 years 78 million for Marte

Nook and texans1095 like this.
  5. Marteen

Marteen Member

What a bag for Marte. Damn.

6. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Damm..... he got that as a 33 yr old, good for him

7. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

With Marte off the board, who does Click go after next? Any other good CF? Or does he go the trade route? I wonder what Houston's offer was for Marte.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Only other free agent I would want in CF is Chris Taylor. I don't see it happening because he would cost the Astros their 2nd pick and 500k in international signing money. Hope for a trade if you want a CF upgrade because that seems like the only real path now. Looks to me like McCormick/Siri until Meyers is back....

The Beard and punkoholic like this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Probably trade. Mullins, B. Reynolds, K. Marte, etc

punkoholic likes this.
  10. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade Luis García straight up for Cedric Mullins much less including the rest of that proposed haul.

11. HTown2017Champs

Mullins and Reynolds would likely be priced out of our range. Fantasizing is fun but I think Click wants to save plenty of ammo for the deadline.

I can honestly see Bryant being at least looked into, but there would be questions about the quality of defense whichever way they're aligned.

I really wish Jeff McNeil could play at least a serviceable SS or CF. I think he'll be on the trade block with all these acquisitions, and he would be a decent left handed hitting bench player.

The Beard and Htown Legend like this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'd love to see Ketel Marte on this team. He's an MVP-caliber player when it all comes together. He had over a .900 OPS in both 2019 and 2021. Also versatile defensively in that he can play both infield and outfield.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whoever ends up being Houston’s 7th hitter on opening day should be measured against Starling Marte; $78M/4yrs is a lot, but very reasonable for a guy coming off a superstar caliber season, and the Astros could have afforded that.

Story, Bryant, Pham, Semien, Seager, and Correa are really the only remaining impact position player free agents I think Houston should be interested in. I guess Conforto would also make some sense if he was willing to sign cheap enough to make it worth playing Tucker in CF.

#1153 Snake Diggit, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Nook, Wulaw Horn and Htown Legend like this.
  14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Entirely agree with your first point - $19.5 for 4 years was a salary that fit the budget and the general desire to limit years, while upgrading a position.

I'd narrow your list to the 4 shortstops. Pham has played very little CF since 2018 - and his bat is worse than Meyers/McCormick. He's a downgrade. Bryant is a bat upgrade but he plays a corner spot and I'd rather target players that don't require moving Tucker to CF.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pham would be somewhat of an upside play based on his ability to stay healthy and be viable in CF (at least to start most games). But he surely projects to be much better offensively than McCormick/Meyers. Pham projects for a 114 wRC+, whereas Meyers for 98 and McCormick for 93. That’s a significant difference. Pham isn’t the free agent I am most hoping for by any stretch, but if he was willing to sign an inexpensive short term deal (something like $19M/2yr plus incentives) then I think he’s a good fit for the Astros.

Bryant is very likely to be too expensive to make sense for Houston, but he’s similar to Pham in that I would be willing to take on the risk of him being able to handle CF to start most games, especially just for 2022.

#1155 Snake Diggit, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Enjoying the imagery.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screenshot_20211127-104624_Google.jpg

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Where do your numbers on Pham come from? He’s hit .229 and .211 in consecutive seasons, without much power. He’s also going to be 34 on opening day. Meyers / McCormick were better last year than that and both are more natural CFs. Just don’t see the upside on a mid-30s guy like that.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pham had injuries that had an impact on his last 2 seasons (sapped his power). Steamer projects him for .258/.354/.429 next season (114 wRC+) which is closer to his career line. He certainly carries risk, given his age, injury history, and that he’s not played CF recently. But for a guy who was worth 13.7 fwar from 2017-2019, there’s some upside there, considering his expected price.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even at the exact same salary I'm going with Meyers over Pham as an "upside" play.

Not to say I don't see a good value play in Pham, but it's mainly as a platoon with Brantley and depth if we include Chas in a trade. Unless there is a serious issue with Meyers shoulder there's no way I'm letting a 34 year old steal AB's from him. Frankly I think Chas might be an outright better player for that role next season.

Now that Marte is off the board, there are no free agents good enough to replace Meyers 2 way upside.

jiggyfly and The Beard like this.