1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] State of the Rockets Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

kpj from a mental standpoint is too unreliable to be your lead guard. his mood swings are like freezing rain on this young group. maybe we draft/acquire a starting PG and then move him to 6th man, that would be fine. but i don't seem him as the longterm starter

green has shown improvement, let him keep playing heavy minutes. and let sengun do the same as well

wood and gordon should be traded for assets this season, and christopher/garuba given regular PT

theis is useless for us

aaquaa and Joe Rocket like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hope it’s Texas

xaos, NewAge and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. gogispade

gogispade Member

no comment on commander Wall?

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Gotta say I was totally wrong about Theis being good for us, but my feeling about KPJ not fitting with Green has become painfully obvious.

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

My feeling with Theis is that they were hoping he'd replicate the success Wood had with Olynyk. Woods recurring injuries last year were partly due to him getting banged up against bigs, and Olynyk really opened up the floor for him.

Obviously, Theis ain't it. But I think that was the FO's thinking here.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could've included him but he's not playing and I felt the situation was fairly known. I think it's going to ultimately end in a buyout, personally. If they don't trade him by the deadline, I think Wall pushes for something to happen.

8. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I feel like not playing Wall is effecting KPJ development, Jalen and KPJ both could learn from Him and develop their game through Wall until he gets traded, but obviously the Rockets are tanking bro we see it lol

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I think wood is a huge piece and we shouldn’t understate his importance, granted we may want to trade him now to avoid paying him later but good luck ever finding that kind of a talent at center again.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We won’t be able to match his particular skill set maybe, but we can certainly find a better center both in the short term (next draft and Sengun) and long-term via trade or FA. I would only trade him for a reasonable haul of young players or good picks, otherwise keep him until the off-season or next season.

11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

good analysis. basically all but green and sengun should be traded if the right opportunity comes along,

AlperenSengun likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

KPJ might be a better shooting guard long term than Green. I am not saying that Green is a bust, but he needs time to develop and fill out.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Every minute House gets, a puppy cries.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mobley, not that it matters but we had that luck....just went another route, that is okay.

There should one or two in the upcoming drafts.

We also could have had Jarrett Allen. Granted he does not score that much.

mikenm268 and palmsnbananas like this.
  15. futilman

futilman Member

Wish you had mentioned John wall.

This is a team starving for veteran leadership and we are paying someone (who has always been known as a good leader) 44 million to sit on the bench.

Wall’s value cannot get lower than it is now. His impact can’t be worse than it is now on our team. Playing him 15-20 mpg can solve both problems.

16. juanming

juanming Member

1. Finally, someone agrees with me that tate should be on the bench

2. I might be in the minority but I think that Porter and green can play great together they just need a new coach that incorporates more movement and less isolation

3. The sooner they move wood or theis the sooner that sengun can start

4. Really worried about that extension with Kevin Porter this summer... Last year he had one game where he scored 50 and 10... But other games where he was awful. Kind of like this year. if his good games are only once in a blue moon then we shouldn't over pay for that

I do sometimes wonder what if we put porter at small forward instead of tate, and get a real point guard along with a new coach I wonder how good it would look

fattz, Jontro and HorryForThree like this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great job, @Clutch! Agreed on almost everything, including (1) KPJ is more of a Sixth Man; (2) Tate's inability to hit 3s makes him more of a bench player on a better team; and (3) Wood is meh.

On Theis, I think the Rockets were (allegedly) far down the road in negotiations (and may have already had a deal) with him BEFORE the draft. Had they known they'd have Sengun and Garuba before they ever talked to Theis, those negotiations go very differently, IMO. But still, I like Theis as a solid defensive veteran. Especially if the Rockets manage to get good value for Wood in a trade, I can think of fifth starters far worse than Theis going forward. Sengun could have a "Sixth Man" type role, getting a bigger role with the second unit.

We'll see how aggressive Wall gets about a buyout. If Blake Griffin doesn't give back $13M+ on his buyout with Detroit, I think he's probably still a Piston right now. The Rockets would likely want Wall to give back even more (possibly at least $20M) for them to take the massive dead cap hit through next season and forego the (minimal) chance of getting off that money via trade.

#17 BimaThug, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Man, I hope not. If 3rd year Green is somehow worse than 3rd year KPJ then he is a bust.

I think KPJ's ceiling is a sixth man. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league at some point and then comes back after maturing.

Y2JT, dobro1229 and pippendagimp like this.
  19. gogispade

gogispade Member

Fair enough.
    What do you think about Jalens ceiling?

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If it was tl;dr for you I can kind of sum it up:

trade everyone older than 22; KPj is also meh

(but you should probably read it yourself if you appreciate people putting in work)

#20 don grahamleone, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    D-rock, chadyang and Os Trigonum like this.