1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Has he been good in the OF defensively? Really curious about CF if you or anyone else has some info there.

I'd rather have him over Marte as well but my guess is Marte will come at a cheaper cost. So really just depends on the price difference for me.

Another lesser option...how bad is Kyle Schwarber in the OF? Can he play RF?

Edit: Also curious how he fared at 1B for the Sox...if he had more time to learn the position does anyone know if he could be serviceable there in the future? Since Yuli is likely nearing the end he could slide over to 1B after if he's that bad in the OF and can manage 1B. Really like Schwarbers bat though...IMO him and Freddie Freeman are the two best available in terms of hitting talent.

#1081 Htown Stros, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With the 150 innings pitched at over a half a run less than the average starter, that would qualify as a really good year.

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would put him in RF this year and move Tucker to Center. Pena/Diaz would hold down SS. What I really like about Bryant is that he can play 3B, 1B, RF, LF and is a better bat than Correa. He is insurance if Bregman has injury problems. He can move to LF when Brantley retires and Leon is ready for CF. If we have other OF options, he can be insurance for Gurriel as well. Perfect fit for our team, in my opinion. Lineup:

Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Alvarez, Bryant, Tucker, Yuli, Pena, Maldonado(eventually Lee). Wow!!!

4. Major

Major Member

And yet, worse than McCullers, Garcia, Valdez, and Urquidy (the latter two had 100+ innings due to injury, but not 150). Hopefully worse than Verlander next year. Mixed compared to Odorizzi (better ERA, worse WHIP). And that was in one of Matz' better seasons overall suggesting little upside. I don't see where he fits on a team like the Astros or why they'd want to spend limited resources on him when they have 6 starters who are at least at his general level if not better, not even counting Javier.

jiggyfly, Astrofan59, MrBear1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Hasn't he been terrible at 3B recently? I thought I had seen reports of his defense not being good, both there and in RF, and after looking at Baseball Savaant, it appears he's been a butcher everywhere...

Also, FWIW he was AWFUL offensively down the stretch especially in the playoffs. The NL West is the only NL division I followed (I bet regularly with LA and SF) so I watched a lot of Giants games and the stats arent misleading in his case. I will look up his stats in a bit but I want to say he struck out in like 60% of his ABs.

If I'm going to sacrifice defense I'd rather throw Schwarber out there. That said, I'd rather just replace Correa with Baez given him and Bryant have been projected to receive similar deals.

Edit: When you have money on a team/player I guess you always remember the bad...he wasn't AS BAD as I remembered in Sept/Oct but he did hit .245 with only 1 HR in 116 AB.

#1085 Htown Stros, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I clearly have some bias/hatred towards Bryant from losing some money in Sept lol I would be happy to have him...

But I still would rather have Baez if he's cheaper like he's projected to be. Not that they're super accurate or anything but MLBTR has Bryant getting 6/$160 and Baez 5/$100M. Sign me up for that 5/$100 if that's really what it will take...he's only 28 and such a fun player to watch. How many players give effort like him in the below...

whiskeyred and Fulgore like this.
  7. ktex

ktex Member

Um, ya they have been.

King1, lw17 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I believe your initial reply regarding Matz was in response to my comment about the Matz deal with St. Louis. I was in no way advocating for Matz here in Houston or suggesting he was a better option than any starter we currently have here. More so, just highlighting what the market could be for the “next tier” of SPs after Ray and Gausman.

Major likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tucker is not a CF. Can play there in a pinch, but he is a corner outfielder.

MrBear1 and lw17 like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Eh...They've gone with worse - Berkman, Biggio

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

How did that work out?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Which is what makes me believe we can get off Odo at any time without having to take back salary or attach an asset.

Htown Legend and Major like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I liked his post bc I thought everything other than the Stroman thing was spot on. Marte and Bryant in conjunction make sense if you are going to cheap out with Peña.
    Bryant can play LF against all left handed pitchers, can play right field if Tucker goes down (or just spot him when he needs a rest, play 3B for Bregman, play 3B and move Bregman over to SS for Peña, DH for Alvarez and play 1B for Yuli. It’s a dead bang cinch he gets 500 AB’s over the course of this year and then he becomes your primary LF or 1B next year when Yuli and Brantley are up. Probably 1B as if you had Marte he slides over to left and Meyer is your CF in 2023. It works perfectly.

14. bobrek

As I wrote... worse than Tucker would be

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

SPLASH!!!!

The Phillies announced Friday that they have acquired catcher Garrett Stubbs from the Astros in exchange for minor league outfielder Logan Cerny

16. bobrek

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Happy Thanksgiving ClutchFans, from the airport runway. Lots to be thankful for, namely a badass Astros roster that’s been to the ALCS 5 years in a row, with 3 WS trips, and a solid as ever outlook for the next few years. For all the back and forth, no one can argue that the Astros aren’t in, what, top 5 organizational position moving forward for at least the next half decade?

jklb, The Beard, Bregatron and 3 others like this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He was saying Bryant instead of Marte...I think everyone on this board would sign up for Bryant AND Marte

BMoney likes this.
  19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Happy Thanksgiving, Stros fans!

20. jayfree

jayfree Member