1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the better player in 5 years Sengun or Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Who will be better in 5 years?

1. Green

47.6%
  2. Sengun

52.4%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

He got to the #2 pick by hiding in the g league (a con) where no defense is played and the entire purpose is to showcase players. Garuba's play there the last couple games should dispel any delusions about the g league, he's putting up a 30 PER and looking like Wilt Chamberlain. If we are to take the g league seriously at all then Garuba would have been the #1 pick since his last game is better than any Green had.

GotGame15 and DaDakota like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Personally I want Sengun to end up being the better player in 5 years. This is by no means me raising the white flag and calling Green a bust but if we're forecasting Green to be, at best, a Bradley Beal we would still need a solid number 1 as I view Beal to be in that gray "Is he a legit alpha or second banana?" area. Sengun has that potential to be the solid 1. His fundamentals are evident, his poise and instincts are elite for being 19, his defense is better than advertised, and his offense will eventually come. Like he can legitimately be a better version of Marc Gasol and that guy can be a solid number for a championship-contending team. He can anchor both ends of the floor when necessary.

If Green becomes the Robin to Sengun's Batman or the Beal to Marc Gasol I'll be perfectly fine with that.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're unhinged dude. There are ways to debate and make points without pretending to be some internet tough guy. Just saying.

4. gah

gah Member

If he were a 23 year old, then yeah, but the kid is still 19. If you compare him to other teenagers you'd have to recognize he's above average at everything but defense, and even then he's shown he will be fine there if the effort is there and the body fills up. You're right in pointing that evidently there's a lot of room for growth, but it's to be expected with 19 year olds. I was pro Mobley, still think that not picking him was a mistake, but Green still is a great prospect, these first 17 games haven't changed that at all.

As for Sengun, he's my favorite player on the team already but with him there's worry about his body and length. There's an athletic threshold to make it in the league and we've seen him pass it but there's also another one to becoming a consistent dominant player. He doesn't have good length for a center or good mobility for a full time PF. One reflection of my worries is how his finishing around the rim went from excellent in Turkey to mediocre, with multiple instances of getting blocked even after beating his man. I don't want to doubt a 19 year old who's so advanced but with Jalen you can actually see all of the room for growth. With Sengun I love what I see but actually wonder how close to his limits he is.

5. conquistador#11

the other guy we and the Rockets coveted, 2/10 last night with 4 turnovers 6 points, Fade for who? Barnes has posted an avg around 10 pts in his last 6 starts. Some here would consider it career over, 6 games. Rookies gonna rook, keep adjusting and improving .
    Giddey has won the rookie of the year in this instant gratification ROY campaign*

*for now

harold bingo and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, whatever, you don't like criticism, or debate, don't post.

DD

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

OK you will have a target on your back when Jalen Green becomes more consistent and starts to meet the expectations from the troupe who never wanted him here to begin with - not that unusual for you you're used to that kind of attention, but going outside of your norm to froth at the mouth and pick cyber fights? Quite unbecoming. Do you though.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Rookies are going to rookie -- you said it. Problem here is that certain people didnt want Green so now they will trash and bash and hold him up to ridiculous qualifiers - as a rookie. Shrug.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  9. gah

gah Member

This kind of argument is too low for you, I think you're better than that. The G League is a more competitive environment than college. Jalen Green probably had a target on his back and he still showed his talent against grown men. If it was just a showcase, why are the new Ignite guys not showing out. Garuba has been a proven pro in very demanding environments for a while now, he's supposed to ace the G League, let's give the credit to him instead of making it an indictment of the G League.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the BS line everyone was saying....and yet, look at the 2 guys drafted out of the G league.

One is the most detrimental player to his team in the entire league, and the other scrub hasn't been forced into the starting lineup so he's not hurting his team as much only playing 8 minutes a game.

The G league is a lower level of competition and develops players worse than top NCAA programs and certainly worse than the better pro leagues overseas. I wouldn't think anyone would even attempt to argue that anymore.

Also, what would "showing out" mean? Green was trash in the G league, he wasn't even a net positive to his team. He put up a 0.44 WS/48 in the G league....there's 7 players on the current G League Ignite putting up a better number than that.

Let's face it, the G League narrative died when Jalen Green and Kuminga flopped.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If it were Mobley struggling here they would be all over themselves in making excuses just like the Pro Green guys are and contradicting the very thing they are upset about - therein lies the problem. Lines in the sand are drawn and nothing that will happen moving forward will change it- NOTHING. Jalen could achieve All NBA status and these downers would still find something to complain about! It would be one thing if their track records were better but you have proponents who argued at one time that one of the Morris twins would be the next Chris Webber and others who thought that Donatas Motiejunas was some revolutionary post player. Its 100% an ego thing.

12. gah

gah Member

Wow, you know that after 18 games? Your ability to jump to conclusions is higher than both their verticals combined.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I knew it before they were drafted, it was obvious to a lot of people that didn't buy the BS hype.

14. gah

gah Member

Yeah, I feel confident in thinking that Mobley could be struggling just as much here offensively with this crapshoot of a team while Green would reap the benefits of the better structure, in having a very good point guard for all 48 minutes on offense and a good rim protector to cover for him on defense.

15. gah

gah Member

As high as you might feel about your opinion level yourself by recognizing predictions are not reality, there's no scientific certainty about this subject and that you in fact might be wrong. Time wiil tell.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's your assumption that I was the only one. There were a lot of people who weren't fooled into buying into the Green hype.

There's never "scientific certainty", but it was pretty clear to those not fooled by flash over substance that Green would struggle due to complete lack of basketball skills despite his freak athleticism. No matter how many times unskilled freak athletes struggle in the NBA, the flash of raw athleticism will always get a certain type to drool on themselves.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not a single rookie in the draft would have flourished here with all the dysfunction. Not one. Issue with ego posters is that they alone think that their vision and ability to spot talent would have "fixed" the ROX problems. Its just a dodgeball contest around here now I guess everyone should just get used to it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....there's one on the team right now that is flourishing here right now.

He's just not awful at basketball so he doesn't need his fanbois making excuses for him.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree Sengun has a higher ceiling. But there's no need to trash Green. You don't know the future. Nobody does. Don't act like you are superior to everybody else.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sure and what excuse do the rest of the guys on the team have for not flourishing? Specifically Porter but also Wood, Theis, and others have been terrible.