1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None of that has to do with what the Trump insurrectionists did and intended to do.

Antifa leader? Are you talking about Sullivan and that video you posted?

Man, you seriously need to check your facts and news sources.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Unironically yes. For example, if you were a comic, you could have a photoshoot holding a fake severed head of the president. Or you could make a movie about the assassination of a sitting president.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. NewRoxFan

Not sure what you are defending with this poor attempt at "whataboutism"... are you defending insurrectionists that attacked the Capital while threatening the Speaker of the House and Vice President? Or sitting congressman who tweeted a video killing a sitting congressman and the President of the United States by comparing what they did to a c-list comedienne?

jiggyfly, IBTL and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you were a comic, you could do those things. If you were the sitting chief executive of the United States, or an elected official, you shouldn't do that. Nor should you continually put out propaganda and lies about the election being stolen and illegitimate.

6. StupidMoniker

I was answering the question at the end of the quoted post. Yes, you should be able to make threats that you have no way of carrying out against government officials. We outlaw criminal threats in California, but central to that law is the threat must be immediate, unequivocal, the target must be meant to perceive it as a threat, and you must have the present apparent ability to carry though on this threat. There is no way that AOC thought Paul Gosar's video meant that he was going to try to decapitate her. It is comical to perceive it as such. There is no way that people chanting hang Mike Pence had the ability to hang Mike Pence, and I very much doubt they intended Mike Pence to perceive it as a legitimate threat to hang him.

7. NewRoxFan

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

relatedly, do you think our country benefits from congressmen posting threats against other lawmakers? Or maybe if you don’t view them as “actual” threats, videos of threats? Do you think our political discourse should go down to that level?

9. Rileydog

confirmation bias won’t allow him to do that. Some folks take a position and then characterize the facts however is necessary to accommodate the position.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

It doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't say there is a benefit (beyond whatever entertainment whoever saw the video on twitter got out of it). I just don't see it as a big deal. Preston Brooks beat Charles Sumner with a cane in the halls of Congress, I don't think a tweet is going to do much damage. This is all performative. Do you honestly think AOC believes her life is in danger from Paul Gosar, since you seem to think me not believing this is an "actual" threat is somehow strange? Wouldn't that be what an actual threat is?

11. Rileydog

My view is that the trump nutcases are idiots who have been enraged and inflamed by the rhetoric of the trump presidency, evidenced by the insurrection. I think trumpers could easily see the video as a call to arms and take action. With the gun culture prevalent in trump land, yeah, its just a matter of time before something happens. In the meantime, the country gets more polarized and heated with open threats of violence.

12. NewRoxFan

The other idiot son, his wife, and trump's chief of staff all using burner phones? I wonder why they were trying to hide their involvement?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jan-6...p-using-cash-bought-burner-phones-says-report

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There are 2 standards at play, though. One is the law on making threats if violence, the other is congressional rules of propriety for its members. I don't think Gosar's video could be construed as an illegal threat, but it was unbecoming for a member of Congress, so he was censured. If he was a comedian or movie maker or other private citizen, there'd be no problem. As for Hang Mike Pence, it seemed like merely bravado until they actually broke into the Capitol and the chances that they'd have an opportunity to try it seemed to go up. Then I think the threat took a more serious aspect.

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

crack girls after pic is better than her before. she has a nice smile and i like that she started wearing her hair up like that. and cocaine girls before pic makes her look kind of b****y and high maintenance. after pic looks like she would be fun to party with...she would probably steal your wallet and car, but she would be still be more fun than her before pic.

alcohol dude went from el chapo to danny trejo!

B-Bob likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People don't pay Congressmen to post this kind of crap that could actually put violent ideas into radical followers' heads. Just like no President should call people screaming "Hang Mike Pence" good people and Patriots. I don't believe for a second someone in that crowd of radicals busting in with zip ties and gear to beat someone down wasn't capable of carrying through with that chance if Pence hadn't been safely removed from their attack. If you think these people were all just full of hot air and harmless you are naive.

Do you defend dangerous and guilty criminals hoping you win a case and they get set free to go out and hurt or kill again?

17. StupidMoniker

When I was a defense attorney, I frequently defended dangerous and guilty criminals hoping I would win the case and they would get set free, yes. That was my job.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better you than me. If I knew someone was guilty of killing or harming people I couldn't ever do all I could to help them get away with it for money. I'd rather be broke. I guess that's why I rarely agree with your defense of dangerous people in the forum.

Rashmon and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Lmao you hit the nail right on the head with all of them.

jo mama likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

I guess he took the wrong trump Capital tour...

FranchiseBlade likes this.