1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The crowd was disappointing last night. I thought they would be at least 30k and it wasn't even close.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This season's attendance has been disappointing. My guess is it's some form of extended hangover. TBH Cougar Football has been flat out boring to watch since like 2018. You can't go 3 years throwing craps in this market and retain casual fans. Add in COVID hangover (which effects urban schools a lot more than rural college towns) and I think this fanbase is just gonna take a bit to dig its way out of this mild hibernation.

On the plus side, I think we will draw 35K+ each week in the new Big 12.

BYU, TTU, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State. Those programs will draw out casual fans and have solid traveling contingents.

MadMax, STR8Thugg, Joshfast and 2 others like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I went to TSU but I'd go see anyone of those games. I miss the old SWC. I was never a fan of the AAC, other than games vs Memphis.

raining threes and Rock Block like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

I'll be re-upping my season tickets next year for that reason alone. Coog games are way more fun than Texans games as they definitely have a much more "Houston" atmosphere. It's a little college-y and a little Third Wardy which makes it fun. Just hope the B12 schools bring out the fans. Though I'd imagine the upcoming AAC championship with Cincy would fill out considering the implications.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  5. MexAmercnMoose

Students filled their section...alumni didnt show up

Nook and raining threes like this.
  6. Poloshirtbandit

To be honest I've had almost no desire to go to in person sports even pre-Covid. I prefer watching at home.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Stop caring about UH football attendance. It’ll help keep you sane. The hardcore fan base is small by major Texas college standards. Always has been. Enjoy the quaintness of the live experience, especially when we win. And then drive 45 min. home or smoke weed in the street like a ******* Houstonian

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Nippert has a fixed seating capacity of 32,574. But they will not be rushing the field that night. instead you will see about 10 drunk UH fans running around the field bat shiot crazy looking for someone to hug...and that will be during the game.

MexAmercnMoose likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is where I've landed.

During my tenure as a UH student and alumn (the last 20 years) I've seen the school do legit everything it can to fix these problems. At the end of the day, there are forces beyond our control that govern most of this. It's like trying to grow crops in the desert. Sure, you can do it, but you have to put in 10 times the effort for 1/10th the results than the schools shooting fish in a barrel out in bumblescum or schools that have their favored status, power, and resources enshrined into law.

UH is not either of those things and will never be either of those things. It's a metro school with a modest ceiling for fan support. That's fine. We'll keep chugging along and punching way above our weight. People who point to attendance are basically sipping champagne in the losing team's lockerroom. What matters is the scoreboard, and we do just fine there.

Hippieloser likes this.
  10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Has anyone ever had an offense, defense, and special teams touchdown in a single game? Maybe he can do it against 1-win UConn. Make history.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Drop a Thomas Jeffy for your Metro day pass, go to Kim Soo for your belt test and Kim Son for some takeout tempura, then back to campus and the UC to watch the first 30 minutes of Mad TV before switching to SNL, while Vietnamese classmates in black dress shirts with personal pool cues walk down the stairway to the campus gameroom, to hustle or get hustled by single moms and Gulf War vets who have all worked together on PowerPoints in the Melcher computer lab for Bauer group projects.

#6611 Dairy Ashford, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Never would have guessed this team would play for a Championship. Odds are against us but this is all house money from his point on.

Go Coogs

13. ExTexanNowEastCoast

You forgot about Frenchy’s Fried Chicken.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was ankle deep on the way there during Tropical Storm Allison and waist deep on the way back, when they still served gumbo and jambalaya. The next day China Star and a food truck they put next to Oberholtzer were the only things open, even though campus only closed for a week. Summer session '01, so Teach for America and possibly Special Olympics were on campus at the time too.

Nook likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man I spent way too many lunches in law school at China Star lol. Wish that Pink’s had been open back 100 years ago when I was there. :)

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

China Star was my go to back in the day. No MSG KUNG POW!!!!!!!!!

17. PhiSlammaJamma

They should move this to prime time and move Michigan to 4pm, because everyone in the NCAA will be rooting for Houston to win this. They should get a lot of eyeballs.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Going back to campus is a trip. It's unrecognizable (in a good way).

I remember being so desperate for non-dorm food I would schlep all the way to the Law School to go to their Subway (which was god awful even by Subway standards).

The real mccoy was going to Timmy Chan's though. $3.33 would get you enough shrimp fried rice to last a week.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Timmy Chan's was my go to place. I also frequented Mr. Henry's steakhousee. I wonder if either or still there.

20. Poloshirtbandit

Timmy Chan is still on Scott. Around my mid 20s my stomach stopped being able to handle it so I stopped eating there. I don't know Mr Henrys.

solid and DonnyMost like this.