1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty pessimistic tone from MacT there. That’s the first real mention I have seen of Schreiber as a legitimate prospect. At 26 and with numbers boosted by Asheville I don’t see it. But he did get some time in CF in Corpus so maybe they liked what they saw there; if he was able to stick in CF he would become a lot more interesting. Even if that’s the case it’s hard to see much ceiling since he doesn’t walk and doesn’t have baserunning value.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I thought the Tamarez and Melendez facts were glowing even if Tags's prose was not.

Tamarez was a low 90s fastball/changeup guy, but Tags says he's touching 98 (which usually means sitting mid 90s) and has a slider that eats up RHBs to complement his change which likely has reverse splits. Tags mentioned control issues, but Tags isn't a prospect guy and probably didn't notice that Tamarez nearly axed his walks in half towards the end of the year (last two starts were rough though).

On Melendez, the height thing usually limits velocity except in short spurts which leads to a reliever. If he's sitting low to mid 90s starting, that is fine for a starter especially considering he probably has a low vertical approach angle (i.e., shorter guys tend to have lower release points) which would complement a rising fastball (see Javier). Considering he's an Astros pitching prospect, I think odds are good that his fastball rises well.

#1982 Joe Joe, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.milb.com/news/houston-astros-system-still-bubbling-at-the-top

Interesting tidbits and quotes. This stood out on Whitcomb: he and Yankees top prospect Anthony Volpe were the only 2 minor leaguers with 25+ 2B, 20+ HR, and 30 SB in 2021. Purim’s mentioning Whitcomb’s exit velo is noteworthy. With his physical attributes and slash line he could be terribly underrated, although his k rate is a yellow flag to me. Huge opportunity for him when he reaches AA next year.

I think Matijevic is underrated.

#1983 Snake Diggit, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Best I can tell, here is the final list of Astros prospects who will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft:

C: Papierski**, Shaver, Manea*, Salazar*, Diaz**, Holderbach, Rodriguez, Perry, Alvarez

IF: De Goti, Wielansky, Valdez*, Nova, Hensley, Mendoza, Santana, Carrasco, Ramirez, Cueta, Urdaneta

OF: Dawson*, Matijevic*, Costes, Julks, McKenna*, Adolph, Schreiber, W Abreu, Rodriguez

P: Torres**, Blanco**, Hansen, Mushinski*, Donato, McKee, Scheetz, Hernandez, Lawson, France**, Conine, Macuare**, Daniels, Ruppenthal, Peck, Moclair, Conn, Record, Deason, Bravo, Serrano*, Freure*, Collado, DeJuneas, Benedetti, Cabral, Henderson, Rivera, Jimenez*, Taveras**, Garcia, Ceballos, Rodriguez, Bellozo, Ramirez, Bojorquez, Gonzalez

Mostly worried about Diaz and Taveras. I understand the risk since neither guy has played above High A and neither has had a ton of pedigree before this season. But they both have very high ceilings.

#1984 Snake Diggit, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Bermudez and Berryhill were the Astros chosen minor league players of the year but neither appear in MLB's top 30 prospects for the Astros. Bermudez looks pretty solid to reach the majors and I'm not sure about Berryhill. For those that know, do either have a shot a long MLB career? I just though their omission from the prospect list was strange.

6. HTown2017Champs

I've heard Bermudez only throws two pitches, which hurts his chances at sticking as a starter. But there could be an opening for him as a reliever, and perhaps a move to the pen can increase his velocity.
    As far as Berryhill, he has a weak arm but is seen as at least decent in other aspects of catching. He's also been given reps at 1B. Supposedly the Astros changed his swing mechanics when acquiring him from the Reds, which he attributes to his breakout (from an interview I saw).

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One upside to minor leaguers getting perpetually screwed is that since they are not in the MLBPA all prospects who are not currently on a 40 man roster are unaffected by the lockout. The minor league seasons are not at risk.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

That is a very nice development

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

A conversation starter for those who are tired of hearing about the strike.

Astros Prospects by Proximity to MLB
    ETA Prospect Position

2022 Jeremy Pena short stop
    2022 Joe Perez 1st baseman
    2022 Forrest Whitley starter
    2022 Jonathon Sprinkle reliever
    2022 Shawn Dubin reliever
    2022 Joe Record reliever

2023 Korey Lee catcher
    2023 Luke Berryhill catcher
    2023 Colin Barber outfielder
    2023 Pedro Leon versatile bench
    2023 Yainer Diaz DH /bench bat
    2023 Hunter Brown starter
    2023 Jairo Solis starter
    2023 Jon Bermudez* reliever

2024 Will Wagner 2nd baseman
    2024 Justin Dirden right fielder
    2024 JC Correa pinch hit/run
    2024 Alex Santos II starter
    2024 Elvis Garcia starter
    2024 Misael Tamarez starter
    2024 Jaime Melendez reliever
    2024 Jimmy Endersby reliever

2025 Tyler Whitaker out fielder
    2025 Zack Mathews starter
    2025 Chase McDermott starter
    2025 Spencer Arrighetti starter

2026 Gaby Nieves short stop
    2026 Colt Gordon starter

IowaAstro and Nook like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’ll play:

2022: Lee, Papierski, Pena, Matijevic, Norel, Bermudez, H Brown, Dubin, Whitley, Record
    2023: Berryhill, Leon, Nova, Kessinger, Perez, Endersby, Macuare, Melendez, Torres, Rivers
    2024: Whitcomb, McKenna, Y Diaz, Barber, T Brown, McDermott, Henley, Taveras
    2025: Whitaker, C Gonzalez, Jimenez, Tamarez, Robaina, Santos II
    2026+: Santander, Lorenzo

My current “of the future” 26 man roster:
    C Lee 2022
    1B Y Diaz 2024
    2B Lorenzo 2026
    SS Pena 2022
    3B Perez 2023
    RF Whitaker 2025
    CF Leon 2023
    LF Barber 2024
    DH Matijevic 2022
    UT Kessinger 2023
    C Papierski 2022
    IF Nova 2023
    OF McKenna 2024
    SP Whitley 2022, Dubin 2022, Santos 2025, Melendez 2023, H Brown 2022
    RP Bermudez 2022, Macuare 2023, McDermott 2024, Torres 2023, Tamarez 2025, Taveras 2025, Robaina 2035, T Brown 2024

#1991 Snake Diggit, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I could see him getting a cup of coffee with the Astros in a Taylor Jones role but more likely he will get an opportunity as a fringey DH/LF/1B with another team.

Htown Legend likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For next season, I see Pena, Leon, Lee, Paps, Norel as position players getting a shot, but Leon, Paps, and Norel have 40-man roster issues.

Pitchers...tough to say who makes their debut besides for Brown, Bermudez, Dubin, and Whitley.

Tamarez, Robaina, and Melendez are wild cards for me. They should be in AA next season, and once there, they could be called up at a moments notice or it could be 2024.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like the list.

I need to look over the farm rosters, but at a glance where are: Brewer, Barefoot, and Daniels? Do you think all 3 are outfield busts?

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Mine:
    C) K. Lee / Papierski
    1b) Joe Perez
    2b) Lorenzo
    3b) Nova
    Ss) Pena
    Lf) Barber
    Cf) Leon
    Rf) Whitaker
    Dh) Barefoot
    Bench: Brewer, Whitcomb, Kessinger

1sp) H. Brown
    2sp) Whitley
    3sp) Santos
    4sp) Ivey
    5sp) Solomon

Cl) Dubin
    Su) Solis
    Bullpen: Torres, Melendez, Conine. Bermudez, T.Brown, McDermott.

Now that's suspending the reality that trades will be made and new prodigies will be found in signings or draft.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

High strikeout rate in the minors is the biggest red flag a prospect can have and all 3 of those guys strike out a lot. Given that all 3 were older/college prospects I don’t have a lot of hope they’ll improve in that area. But all 3 have very high ceilings so who knows. But I like those other guys better.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The biggest problem I have with this list ( and this exercise ) is that none of those guys have a scouting grade that projects them to he all Stars, most are projected to be below average or organizational depth.

That's why the current young all star level players should take up some of those roster spots.