1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If the expectations were MJ or Kobe level of play in his prime, he would be the unanimous number one pick though right?

I don't even think Cade is a particularly strong number one pick overall. His floor is high but his ceiling is rather pedestrian for a number one overall pick.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The upside. That’s what gets people drafted that high.

NewAge likes this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I saw a few but I don't think anyone believed that was the actual player he would become. My ceiling for him was Vince Carter for example

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Name one person.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look it up. You can find a bunch of videos on YouTube too.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just go through the Jalen Green should be the pick thread

7. fchowd0311

I mean if it was very common you should just link the posts themselves. I for one made the comparison of play style and explicitly each time mentioned it stated I'm only referring not style of play and not level of play.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So you retroactively put qualifiers on comparing Green and Jordan, but want me to spend my time to go find the asinine posts comparing the two
    Wow

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

10. dmoneybangbang

Jalen Green made the MJ and Kobe comparisons….

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen's weakness is being too humble that he always plays second fiddle to a bummy cocky pg. Coach finds out Green is the man and then use him as a pg. Where is 5 star Devin Askew at? He was running point for Jalen Green. He's doing a second year in college after a horrific season with Kentucky and transferred out. He was a pg with 0 driving skills or any type of offense but swears he needed the ball in his hands like KPJ.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s weird people claiming that MJ and Kobe weren’t thrown around when talking about Green.
    I’m not even trying to find ways to denigrate the kid, I like him and think he has huge upside. I want him and Sengun to be the future.
    But there was a lot of hype early on that probably wasn’t fair to the kid.

Just in that thread I posted above, he was compared to MJ, Kobe, AI, Jaylen Brown and a whole host of others

NewAge likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

MJ didn't have court awareness or a reliable jumpshot early on... What he had and what made him GOAT was the killer instinct and the near-pathological competitiveness.
    JG is not the first to be compared to MJ on talent alone, there were quite a few "Baby Jordans" from Harold Miner to Andrew Wiggins. None of them had Mike's mental edge and neither has Jalen.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

With all due respect to Green non-fans and fans, my toe curls whenever I see the Kobe/MJ comps.

To say we have the next MJ is really highly improbable. The last top ten all time great we drafted was Olajuwon, that's 37 years ago. It's a once in half a century kind of odds.

Maybe the Lavine comp is more realistic. That's not a knock on JGreen, all this pressure and expectations being put on a kid, is unfair to him and unfair to our own sanity.

#334 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I could never see the Kobe/MJ comparisons. He reminds me a bit of Clyde Drexler only in the way he moves well in a straight line and can jump out of the gym. He has a long way to go with consistency before he'll ever be at that level, but I think he could get there.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It happened all the time in the off season, but now they only do it in sneaky ways... like talking about Kobe Bryant's rookie numbers or how MJ was still in college at that age.

The implication is that Green is still the next Kobe or MJ, we just need to wait for it and ignore him playing like one of the worst players in the entire league... and this is after all the talk about how he'd win ROY before it was proven just how raw and awful his game is right now.

17. dmoneybangbang

It’s only the the people who want to denigrate Green and those who wanted him who keep bringing this up….

All you posted was someone claiming we drafted “M Jordan”….. Why aren’t you going back to the pre draft threads? Green is the one who compared himself to Kobe in his pre draft interviews because of his work ethic and attitude….

This kid has been a consensus top prospect and was a top 3 prospect even before his G League stint.

cmoak1982 and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

A MJ level prospect would not only be unanimous number one overall but would be considered a once in a decade lucky draft year to have such a high level prospect.

Think Zion or LeBron level draft hype.

19. dmoneybangbang

I thought people knew Jalen Green was talking about work ethic and his attitude when he made those comparisons.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

it was definitely getting brought up…MJ and Kobe were getting tossed around so loosely

cmoak1982 likes this.