1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone else become a typical casual NBA fan due to the rebuild?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BallSoHarden, Nov 16, 2021.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

For the past 20+ years I have been a die hard Rockets fan, I watched about 95% of regular season games, and being out of market for the last 10 years sometimes it was challenging prior to everything being streamed.

With the Rockets being this bad, I have stopped watching as closely as before. When I was a die hard I absolutely despised two players...Steph Curry and Giannis. These are guys who I considered anyone who liked them to be casual fans. The reason being is I felt Curry winning those early rings were due to their bigs setting illegal screens and him getting open for some gimmick offense. Giannis I thought was a bull in a china shop, a taller version of Blake Griffin, not skilled just 7 feet tall and runs and dunks and the officiating was catered to him just running people over.

Watching the finals as my first year as a casual after the Rockets tanked, I found myself liking Giannis a lot , enjoying his joyful personality and comedic nature. I also thought he absolutely dominated people in the finals. Seeing Steph this year as a casual, I am blown away there is no Andrew Bogut or David Lee or Zaza setting hard screens he is just pulling up from wherever he wants and the team looks unbelievable.

I finally get what a casual fan sees. It is either that, or not having James on the team there is no bias since we are not competitive. Anyone else find themselves appreciating certain players a lot more now?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My appreciation for those players hasn’t really changed all that much. The only time I really watched them with my Rockets fan blinders on is when they were actually playing the Rockets. And even then, I try to be cognizant of the blinders and not let it take away from the greatness on display from either side.

hakeem94 and BallSoHarden like this.
  3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yes you can see the full picture only when you take a step back. Curry and Giannas are both talented and hard working players with very likable personalities.

Patience and BallSoHarden like this.
  4. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I find myself enjoying watching all the new young kids play including this latest draft class. I also enjoy watching Steph and Joker. Sometimes Luka.

BallSoHarden and hakeem94 like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

When does the season start again?

Jontro, BossHogg713 and clos4life like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Garbage product right now. Of course, I only watch Rockets games so that's to be expected.

jbond77 likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It doesn't sound like you're becoming a casual. It sounds like you're learning to appreciate the league as a whole and not just as a Rockets fan and I think that's a good thing. Both those players are awesome and a lot of fun to watch. The only reason to hate them is because of your own team's bias. It's almost emancipating to be able to appreciate the league from an unbiased perspective.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's not so much the rebuild, as it is Tilman Fertitta who has sapped my undivided attention to the Rockets, to the point where I'm enjoying the rest of the league.

Drafting Curry in my fantasy team has me giddy most nights. Now I finally can appreciate just how talented the Warriors team is. The Rockets organisation will not ever be mentioned in the same breath with the scam family at the helm.

If people haven't checked out the Hornets, they really should. They are fun as hell to watch.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dear Christ. Anyone got a vomit smiley?

Thread should be titled: Fair Weather Fans Unite! ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

11. JW86

JW86 Member

Definitely and I got it too OP. I still do not want the Warriors to win and Curry’s smugness still rubs me the wrong way, the mouth piece biting is cringe, but he’s just too good not to appreciate.

I can also admit I am wrong about both Curry and Giannis. Curry in his ability to lead, Giannis as a legit two way player. Giannis is not just running over people.

Harden I wish the best, but cannot appreciate him when he’s still so predicated on baiting. Out of those 3, Harden was always a tough one to root for, but the way he embarrassed opponents was gravy.

I don’t really watch games though, not worth my time anymore, so some highlights of teams outside the Rockets is all I can muster. Will never enjoy the NBA as just a casual I think.

Eventually I will stop following it all together, unless these rule changes continue in the right direction. I do hope some of these rookies will achieve greatness like Green, Mobley and Barnes.

Right now really love me some Jokic and when Murray returns it should be glorious. Heat with Lowry and Tucker should be cool to follow come playoff time.

hakeem94 and Patience like this.
  12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I dunno, I agree with all of what the OP said, but I have watched almost every one of the abominations of Rockets games this season too.

Does that make me a fair weather fan? I think if I sit through 48 minutes of Scoot turnovers and House bricks, I deserve to keep my title as a legit Rockets fan. There is no other reason to subject oneself to such terrible basketball.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yipee aye yah.......McLane says hi.

I'll die rather easily.

14. vince

vince Member

This just shows how special a talent like James Harden is to a team. He was capable of leading any band of misfits to a 50 win season.

In the NBA, you don’t win strictly based on talent. You win based on sheer determination and attitude. It’s the “It” factor some guys have, but everyone has to develop that…

The majority of current Rockets team is just happy to be on an NBA floor. And literally and figuratively, the floor of the NBA (bottom of the barrel).

And I’m still following along, and it’s not even frustrating. It’s a part of the processes.

palmsnbananas and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

No
    Not sure if it makes me die easy fan or not, I am still a Rockets fan, but the product is garbage and hard to watch. I try now and then, but switch to other NBA games after a few minutes

Patience likes this.
  16. Asian Sensation

Sounds like a Harden only fan.

17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I'm not even an NBA fan at the moment, I haven't watched one full game from other teams.

I guess the rebuild process is a lot more boring, I find myself turning it off after 2 quarters.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't imagine watching basketball and not being a fan of Steph or Giannis at anytime. I'm not sure what's not to like.

Regarding this year, I'm less of a fan of NBA overall less so because of the Rockets and more so because of the level of play overall. I think the foul changes have something to do with it. They've hurt scoring... they could have addressed the offensive players jumping into someone or CP3'esque flop when no one is around crap without also not calling a bunch of obvious fouls.

a lot of boring teams, too, imo....

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

The numbers are clear. I've grown to be tolerant of Stephen Curry.

[​IMG]

BallSoHarden and Patience like this.
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I loved Harden when he was in Houston: great player, winner, guaranteed playoffs every year. I defended him and criticized other superstars in comparison. I don’t regret any of it, and I don’t believe I was dishonest in doing it.

However, now that Harden is gone, it is a surprisingly big relief not to worry about it anymore. I don’t have to try to defend or justify his flaws. I don’t have to get that pit in my stomach hoping he finally plays well in an elimination game. I can admit that Giannis and Curry and Durant are great players, and I can enjoy watching them rather than nitpicking their games to look for flaws and resenting their success.

BallSoHarden and palmsnbananas like this.