1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texas Governor's Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Jul 5, 2021.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually really like Beto, but I'm not delusional - his comment on banning assault rifles was a game ender for his career as a state politician in Texas. Frankly, if he's serious about wanting to represent people, he'd probably do better to move to another state the way Hillary or Romney did.

As it is, he has no chance for Governor barring his opponent being caught molesting a child (which is not something I'd ever wish for, no matter the political benefits). The average Texas voter will vote for a crazy like Allen West before they vote for someone who will take away their guns. The gun fetish is pathological and it's why all my European and Asian colleagues at work just shook their heads with dismay when we've talked US politics.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Even if a republican was caught with child p*rnography or dead hookers in their closet, they’d beat Beto in a race. He’s a bad candidate and a weirdo.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gun nuts continue to use the "too difficult to define an assault rife" with their "scary looking guns" argument. There is no need to allow people to purchase and own weapons designed for military use. I used to have a Remington 30-06 hunting rifle. I didn't need an assault rifle for hunting.

I don't know if there are newer polls, but in 2019 when the last wave of efforts to regulate the number of guns
    57% supported...
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/most-americans-support-stricter-gun-laws-new-poll-says

67% supported (note poll source)...
    https://thehill.com/homenews/news/457481-two-thirds-support-assault-weapons-ban-fox-news-poll

56% supported...
    https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_090919/

61% supporting...
    https://news.gallup.com/opinion/pol...nalyzing-surveys-banning-assault-weapons.aspx

The most current poll (March 2021) seems to suggest that the majority (61%) of people either strongly support (42%) or at least somewhat support (19%) an assault weapons ban
    https://www.vox.com/22348212/joe-bi...-assault-weapons-ban-boulder-atlanta-shooting

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think “gun nuts” believe Beto only wants to ban “assault weapons”

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn’t this generic cut out politician lose to Ted Cruz??

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, because all Texans love to role play as soldiers fighting the US Gubmint or North Koreans etc. with their AR 15's.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's not about that. It's about taking away things people already own even though you bought it legally. Imagine if the government decided that gasoline trucks are bad for everyone, and told you that they were just going to take it away from you. Not that they were going to stop making them, or stop you from buying or selling one unless you had reason to own one, but to just take the one you already own. We didn't even take fully automatic weapons back in the 80's. We just stopped companies from making them to sell to private individuals.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

all ear

what else ?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I like him too. Whatever you feel about his policies you know he cares and isn’t a politician first, second and third

he doesn’t stand a chance and no other D would either

but he does provide energy that could help down ballots like he did when he ran for senator

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Beto won't win the primary anyways.

If he does I'll just have to vote 3rd party.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't see it. He was a fresh face when he ran against Cruz. Now, he's seen as a 2 time loser. Again, I voted for him and would vote for him again, and my friends who knew him from childhood tell me he's a great guy. I just think his political boat has sailed. He needs a political reset like Bill Clinton had as governor of Arkansas.

ryan_98 and subtomic like this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i actually dont think his "hell yes were going to take your AR" comment is as big a negative as the overall perception that he is just boyishly goofy and likes to skateboard and jump on tables. its just not going to fly with your average texan voter and especially your average texas rural voter...and most suburbanites.

most texans might even agree with his policies over abbots, but its all about image. we voters are that shallow.

all the abbot campaign really needs to do is just put up a bunch of billboards with this photo and no text. run a bunch of ads with this photo and him skateboarding.
    [​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Or you can vote for abbott.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely need an alternative to Beto

Rocket River

15. NewRoxFan

Well, start naming names... any large city mayors? Or state senator or other elected official?

The current other name is an actor. Look to past examples of an actor in their first pubic office... Al Franken in MIN, Arnold in California, Jesse Ventura in, Sonny Bono in California, Fred Gandy in Iowa... you really have to go all the way back to Ronald Reagan to find one that was effective.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Eva Longoria

pgabriel likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

While we are waiting for that better candidate... O'Rourke is talking about real issues facing Texans...

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

he is an “extreme left”‘candidate that bring out the left

he also actually go “door to door” and bring out lot of folks that way

simply put, he has a strong following in TX

imo

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He doesn’t have a chance in hell here in Texas, At least not this decade. And if and when it does happen then I’ll be dead

Thank God

Rocket River likes this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He is a good retail politics guy - I think one of the few who actually campaigned in all Texas counties.