1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas needs to get his dad on the phone to help him fine tune this system

Jontro likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He almost made the family proud last year when the Rockets lost 20 games in a row. Paul's record is 23 losses in a row with those 7-win Bobcats.

Jontro, aaquaa, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i bet he made his father proud but he still probably have some doubts if hes gonna continue the family tradition the right way

5. steddinotayto

Steve still got time though--he's halfway to 22 losses in a row right now so who knows.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas:
    [​IMG]

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

fckbandwagons and steddinotayto like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

This is the first installment of a two-part conversation examining the Houston Rockets’ offensive struggles to start the season. We are joined by Gibson Pyper, head coach of Heritage High School in Wake Forest, N.C., and popularly known as @HalfCourtHoops on NBA Twitter. Pyper’s X’s-and-O’s expertise offers a unique lens into the Rockets’ 1-12 stretch.

TimDuncanDonaut, D-rock, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thank you @J.R. Good stuff here

D-rock likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

I think I know the offense now: Make sure you get the ball to Mathews.

Last 4 games:
    Offensive rating: 108.1 (18th in the NBA)
    Defensive rating: 106.3 (8th in the NBA)
    3pt %: 38.2 (9th in the NBA)

Regular season:
    Offensive rating: 100 (29th in the NBA)
    Defensive rating: 108.1 (17th in the NBA)
    3pt %: 32.9 (24th in the NBA)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Took him long enough to realize that Wood and Theis were a problem as they both clogged the paint.

DD

DeBeards, aaquaa and D-rock like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Run 41 when 5 out doesnt work. Stop stuffing the lanes with 2 big bodies when you want to run an open concept and are staffed with those type of players. Silas was being stubborn beyond belief to anyone who studies the game even a little bit. Once his "job was on the line" miraculously the coaching was alert and pro active.

At least make the games watchable and put the players in positions to flourish. Nobody is expecting much, but being the worst team in history is a bad look for this franchise - they can tank and not be so obvious about it.

DeBeards, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas has ability to help team to a mediocre offense or defense ranking.

That is he is when he's at his best with optimum conditions.

But he is not capable of doing BOTH at same time even with optimum conditions.

And we all know he is fully capable of producing THE ABSOLUTE WORST offense and/or defense in entire NBA at ANY TIME.

Coaching matters.

hakeem94, DeBeards, Imanimal and 2 others like this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm still ignorant on what in the **** Silas is doing with this team.

DeBeards, BigShasta, Imanimal and 3 others like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas offense has to be the most static 5 out I've ever seen.

He originally preached ball movement as well as off ball movement when he was hired but the offense is increasingly becoming less creative.

And I love switch defense but Silas does not truly understand how to utilize it successfully.

Silas prefers hybrid defense which he also stated when hired but he failed to institute it properly and it failed badly although not nearly as badly as team is executing switch defense THIS season, defense is worst in NBA bad right now.

Silas really does not have personnel to run a switch or drop coverage and really should be running more zone.

And I very much doubt Silas has ability to evaluate personnel and acquire best fits. His obvious favoritism whereby he only praises certain players like Wall, Boogie, House, Dipo even Green and is not as demonstratively positive towards others do not give me any confidence going forward either.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly. He needs to go, but I think he has a 5 year contract. Will Tito eat it?

DeBeards, TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

In some of the rest-day and post-game interviews (and echoed by beat writers), is that some of the concepts were taught, but the team wasn't absorbing it well, so the coaches 'curtail the curriculum'. Not sure how true this is or if the coaches are giving themselves an out. My hope is by 2nd half season, the teaching is ramped up again, but the defense is still really bad at times.

A lot of defense is effort, discipline, and focus. Things like boxing out is not a 'complicated' thing to learn, either you do it or you don't.

Personally, I rather the coaches teach too much than not enough. Let the players tell you if they're getting overwhelmed.

---
    Kinda joking here, but if someone goes to a staffing agency for an office job. They give people basic tests like 'typing'. When draftees come in for try-outs, do the teams ever make them take any mental tests. Watch a clip, and multiple-choice, ask them what kind of defense is getting played. The game at highest level is mental as it is physical.

In middle school, our gym teacher made 10% of the grade mental. We used to have to remember things like size of a basketball court.

#618 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

a top 3 pick offense

Hail mary shots from Garrison is one of the main plays we run.

#619 cheke64, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I really like Silas as a person and just want him out as the head coach. Tito should keep him on as a consultant or other role within the organization. Maybe working with Stone. No clue as to how to coach important aspects such as defense. I’ll say it until I am blue in the face…..any positive player development, discipline, or bold coaching moves is from John Lucas not Silas. CJ McCollum spoke about Green and Christopher the other day and said that they have a bright future in the league because of Coach Lucas….interesting that he never mentioned Silas…says it all right there!!!

hakeem94, aaquaa, D-rock and 2 others like this.