1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

“I think we get content,” said Jalen Green when asked about the problem. “We have a lot of momentum going into halftime and then we just try to play hero-ball after that. The ball gets sticky and we play a lot of one-on-one and fall away from moving the ball.”

This is a common theme when you ask about Houston’s second half woes.

“In the third quarters it gets just a little stagnant,” said Christian Wood. “We might have a lead one game or it might be neck-and-neck and we start try and go into isolation. I think if we stick to the game plan that we have, move the ball, and everybody touches it from side-to-side, then we’re a hard team to beat.”

It would appear the Rockets have made this a point of emphasis to players during film sessions.

“When the ball’s moving, we’re at our best,” said Kevin Porter Jr. “We know that. We just try and keep the ball moving so it doesn’t get static. Because every time it gets static, that’s when teams go on their little runs. Our energy on offense affects the defense.”

It’s not that the Rockets are completely opposed to isolations, but they prefer to treat it as a last resort as opposed to a go-to possession. If the play breaks down or the shot-clock is running out, of course Houston prefers some shot over nothing. However, the coaching staff would rather stick to their read-and-react offense. Even calling a play is something Houston is reticent to do.

“If we have multiple pick and rolls in a play, then we’re doing pretty good,” said Silas. “Sometimes, we settle. Sometimes, we get to isolations and that sort of thing. Those are habits that we’re slowly but surely trying to break.”

Strangely, the Rockets don’t seem to have these issues in the first half. It’s not like Houston is putting up Warriors-type offensive numbers in the first half, but they’re five points per 100 possessions better in the first half.

“We’re probably just focusing more,” said Porter Jr. “Because we come out very strong and very confident and we just gotta keep that same composure and our game plan when we go into the second half.”

And that’s the answer that kept coming up during Thursday’s practice. In the NBA, focus is a young player’s kryptonite. Their energy waxes and wanes, they make careless mistakes, and they’re impulsive shot takers.

“I’ve been saying it for some time now,” said Jae’Sean Tate. “We got to put a whole 48 [minutes] together. I think we put 30 together, even 35. Those little segments – those five minute drop offs – that’s what costs us games.”

Houston’s growing losing streak does feel like it has a mental impact during games. The second half issues have been apparent as a problem for a few games now and it seems Houston gets nervous in these crucial moments to close a game out. The knowledge that it’s a struggle almost guarantees that it will continue to be a struggle – a self fulfilling prophecy.

“One hundred percent,” said Silas. “The pressure builds and you start getting tight at times. It’s like a baseball player who’s in a slump. If you’ve gone 0-for-7 and you’re up to bat, then you’re probably gripping that bat extra hard.”

“Our belief has to be there,” said the Rockets head coach. “That’s first and foremost. With our group, we have to believe that we can do it. It doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to happen for us. But without belief, it definitely won’t happen.”

#581 J.R., Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    cheke64, jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

In all honesty, he is past his prime. Spurs teams used to be league leaders in free throw percentage.

BigShasta, ApacheWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this guy realize he is the head coach? He has authority of who plays and what plays are run yet talks about it as if he is a spectator or cheerleader.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i heard from an authority figure coaches in nba are disempowered, citing the example of igor kokoskov in phoenix who didnt even have the authority to call players in circle during the practice session and everybody was just working individually with designated coaches...
    [​IMG]

Jontro and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

In frequency we are 11th in ISO and 14th in PNR. I think we will continue to mix it up but it doesn’t matter when we have such inexperienced play makers.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He has become a little senile a bit

Jontro likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Everyone is saying the right things but nobody's here teach them.
    I guess they can't, I guess they won't
    I guess they front, that's why I know my life is out of luck, fool. They living in a gangstas paradox.

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I like KPJ but I think the main reason he is failing and will never be great at his role is because of his development.

We need a Mike Dantoni who makes any PG looks good in the league to coach him specifically and part of the reason why Dantoni has been able to develop guards so well in that role is because of his system. Right now we have no offensive system of any kind of because Silas and I think that's heavily detrimental to our young players' development.

chadyang and BigShasta like this.
  10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a different philosophy with the Rockets. Here we say:
    [​IMG]

a time to chill, Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

No Nash and Harden made MDA look good not the other way around.

Remember MDA in NY and LA??

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

@cheke64 I got you lol. I was going to post this earlier today but had family stuff to tend to.

First 5 games:

Passes made per game: 257.2 (Last in the NBA)
    Assists per game: 21.8 (20th in the NBA)

Last 5 games:

Passes made per game: 275.4 (20th in the NBA)
    Assists per game: 21 (23rd in the NBA)

Top 3 players with the highest isolation % on the team:

Christian Wood:
    Freq 13.4%
    PPP: 1.3
    Percentile: 92.4

Kevin Porter Jr:
    Freq: 11.6%
    PPP: 74
    Percentile: 25.3

Jalen Green
    Freq: 8.1%
    PPP: .63
    Percentile: 11.5

Pick and Roll Ball Handler:
    Freq: 18.3%
    PPP: .69
    Percentile: 6.9

Pick and Roll Roll Man:
    Freq: 6.5%
    PPP: 1.13
    Percentile: 48.3

Isolation:
    Freq: 7.6%
    PPP: .94
    Percentile: 65.5

Does this man even know his own team? And also, "if we have multiple PnR in a play, then we're doing pretty good"....like you can't say you want to have a high pace team and expect to run multiple PnRs in a play. I'm confused/ignorant. Someone clarify this quote for me please.

1st quarter
    Wood: 10
    Theis: 7.3
    Tate: 7.7
    Green: 7.9
    Porter: 8.6
    Gordon: 6.3
    Sengun: 5.4
    Houston: 4.3
    KJ: 4.1

PPG: 26.7

2nd quarter
    Wood: 7.9
    Theis: 7.8
    Tate: 6.4
    Green: 9.1
    Porter: 9.2
    Gordon: 7.5
    Sengun: 4.4
    KJ: 4.8
    House: 3.2

PPG: 26.8

3rd quarter:
    Wood: 9.9 mpg
    Theis: 6.5
    Tate: 6.8
    Green: 8.2
    Porter: 8.0
    Gordon: 6.5
    Sengun: 5.9
    House: 5.0
    KJ: 3.4

PPG: 25.1

4th quarter:
    Wood: 7.3
    Theis: 5.9
    Tate: 8.4
    Green: 8.2
    Porter: 8.2
    Gordon: 8.9
    Sengun: 3.6
    House: 3.8
    KJ: 6.9

PPG: 25.2

cheke64 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thank you! but too hard to digest these numbers for me, is there a qualitative summary of it all?

14. steddinotayto

I just pulled numbers to reflect the quotes from the article @J.R. posted up. Like the three main players--Wood, Porter, and Green--all say that the ball needs to move more and it tends to get sticky. That's true because the Rockets are still near the bottom in the number of passes they make per game. Meanwhile, two of the players that complain about the ball being sticky lead our team in isolation players per game but produce at a below average level. Kind of weird isn't it?

On the other side, you got Silas saying something close to competent in that the team needs to run more PnRs, one of the basics of an NBA offense right? That's fine and all but wasn't this the same guy that said earlier in the season that we needed to play at a fast pace to catch the opposition off guard? That's where my ignorance and confusion comment comes in....like PnRs function more in a half court offense thereby slowing things down. You can't maintain a high pace if you're also saying "if we have multiple PnR in a play, then we're doing pretty good". Like what do you want, Silas, because it's highly improbable to maintain a high pace with a high frequency of PnR plays?

As for the bottom set of stats with minutes played, I just wanted to show the minutes distribution...maybe there's something there that's causing the team to stall horrendously in the 2nd half. I did bold KJ and House's 3rd quarter minutes on purpose because it doesn't make sense to decrease his minutes as the game goes on for the sake of giving House more minutes. Right now, House has done little to earn the PT he's getting whereas KJ brings hustle, energy and can do the dirty work that can help build momentum rather than tear it down like what a House chucked 3 or ill-advised drive would do.

ashleyem, Rockets4Life13 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

BigShasta likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

Point differential this season: -9.2
    Point differential last season: -7.9
    2013-2014 76ers (1st year of the Hinkie era): -10.4
    2014-2015 76ers (2nd year of the Hinkie era): -9
    2011-2012 Bobcats (Stephen should know this team fairly well): -13.9

I think we can catch the 2013/2014 76ers tankfest but the 2011/2012 Bobcats is a tall order.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

Just saw this hilarious tweet by @treyk3

other than being absolutely hilarious, there might actually be some truth to this.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bobcats was one of those newer expansion teams that never got off the ground and had to be revamped into a different brand.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94, steddinotayto and BigShasta like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]