1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travis Scott Astroworld festival disaster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was reflecting on my concert going experiences and I can recall several instances where people would fall in the crush of the crowd and the people around them would make a point to help the fallen person up. These were usually heavier 'metal' type shows with some big, rough dudes in the crowd, and sometimes a few fists would fly in the most pit, but they always made a point of helping each other out.

So I'm not sure if this is generational, demographic, age-related, situational or whatever, but it seems like these people didn't seem to have that sense of concert camaraderie I used to see.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It sounds like people were so packed together that in many of the cases there wasn't room to bend down to help someone up.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. Xerobull

I wasn't there, but I can say I've been packed in like a can of sardines at a concert and when someone goes down, you call to make a hole to help them up. I know it's situational, but I have a hard time believing that if these people had that sense of community there, it could have saved lives. It's on the concert companies and the entertainers to foster this attitude.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know at the recent metal/rock concerts/festivals I've been to - you typically still have a mix of older and younger fans, it's a pretty interesting mix but I still see the typical tactic of helping each other up and even pausing the concert - so hopefully that continues to be the trend and is passed on.

With that said, this event definitely should have been handled better and I feel bad for all that were hurt or lost their life for a damn concert.

Squirtle, Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

That's true re. Houston but tbf to Travis- his fans are pretty diverse racially.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21103461/hfd-activity-log-travis-scott-concert.pdf

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...fds-official-astroworld-concert-activity-log/

At 10:02, two minutes after the public was allowed in, the log reads: Venue fences damaged, no control of participants.
    At 10:30, “more police requested behind merchandising.” after the crowd tried to break through a barrier.
    At 10:54 “Approx. 100 participants jumping fence into purple lot.”
    At 11:34 “Two participants jump fence into Texans practice field.”
    At 12:59 “Participants attempting to get under fence.”
    At 15:21 “HPD requests assistance to yellow lot for large crowd trying to go over fence.”
    Over the next several hours, crowd control incidents, property damage, and injuries were logged with stunning regularity, minutes apart.
    Then at 21:28 an entry in the log reads, “This is when it all got real.”
    At 21:30 “HPD reports multiple people trampled, passed out at front of stage...”
    At 21:32 “HPD report of unconscious female in middle of crowd.”
    At 21:35 “HFD radio operator advised we have at least 5 9-1-1 calls related to unconscious person in crowd. Report of possible CPR.”
    A flurry of ambulances and emergency transport vehicles started to flood the scene minutes later, with the ever-escalating calls for help.
    The last legible entry came at 23:38, “HPD Murworth@Kirby, Male unable to walk... 17 total transports... 11 CPR - 9 total fatalities...”
    The fatality count was actually eight at that time, a miscount, but a ninth person, Bharti Shahani, 22, died from injuries sustained at the concert on Wednesday.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Skipping through the Travis Scott Netflix doc. He does seem to have a strong connection with his young fans, but the danger seems looming even before the reality of last week.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. Xerobull

News flash: young men are idiots.

Pole, whag00, JumpMan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It’s only a matter of time before the 10th death is announced. There’s a little boy in a coma - his dad who was with him has to be distraught. The survivor’s guilt must be unimaginable. Prayers for this boy and his family.

10. marks0223

Supporting Member

RIP. Just awful.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I just thought about it, but being trampled to death is actually pretty painful and horrific. Unless someone stands over your trachea and you slowly asphyxiate has to be repetitive head trauma or bleeding inside. Like getting punched to death in every direction

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Or a clown being stabbed to death.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This has to be the most inexcusable one. The only one for which I don't put Travis or Livenation or HPD at the top of the blame list. They get blame and the father should absolutely sue them but the father will have to live with his decision to take his son there. Horrible decision making imo. Some folks bring their kids to rap, rock etc. concerts and that's still not the best decision making. What business does a 9 year old have at a rap concert/music festival? C'mon.

#313 ferrari77, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    King1 likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only 9... Horrible and I can't imagine what his father is feeling who had his son on his shoulders when all of this happened..

King1 and Xerobull like this.
  15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think it depends on the type of festival...for example, ACL here in austin markets itself as family-friendly. you see lots of kids. the artists are not dropping f-bombs constantly. admittedly, i have not been in years, but i cant ever remember cursing from the stage.

a travis scott show is different. it seemed to be a constant stream of f-bombs. thats definitely not something for young kids and i think its pretty sad that parents would bring their kids to a show like that.

maybe im just getting old...i constantly hear parents cursing in front of their kids...i even have family who do it in front of theirs. i make a point to watch my language around kids, but ill hear their parents or even grandparents cussing around kids.

ferrari77 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Ugh just heard about the 9 year old; really had hope he would survive but that absolutely sucks. It's all around horrible

Patience, B-Bob and King1 like this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've seen young kids riding on parents shoulders in the pit at GWAR shows. Not sure its appropriate for a 5 year old but what do I know my kids were at home asleep at the time.

REEKO_HTOWN, ferrari77 and jo mama like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LiveNation is the organizers of this thing
    and they seem to be given a free pass on things

Rocket River

BossHogg713 likes this.
  19. marks0223

Supporting Member

They will be sued for 10s to perhaps 100s of millions of dollars.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

To hell I go

[​IMG]

LosPollosHermanos and Bono like this.