1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Playing good defense, rebounding and playing within system. Zags are dominating Texas

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Compound fracture of the fibula going for a rebound? just a guess

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Defensive presence is intimidating to Texas, they won’t even try to score on him. Hasn’t been targeted of offense because Timme has been dominating.

i3artow i3aller and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Chet is having a very jalen green game against Texas.

Playing within the game and not trying to force things.

i3artow i3aller and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the beauty of Chet, when not involved on offense he’s a game changer on defense. They don’t even need his offense right now.

Rudyc281 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Can actually kinda see how Sengun and Chet would play off each other. Timme is a similar player to Alp, with Alp being a better defender. Their high low game would be deadly

Rudyc281 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

So nba teams don't use ranking systems to evaluate the drat. they use tier systems. teams find tiering to be a more accurate method because it allows to draft for both talent and fit. teams won't draft a player on a lower tier if a player on a higher tier is available because that would be passing on talent. however, when choosing between more than one player in the same tier, they draft for *checks notes* fit. Jesus. blasphemy right?

so lets assume both Chet and Paolo are both considered tier 1 prospects by the rockets scouting department. lets also assume that all the interviews, background checks, and all the vetting comes back stellar for both. the deciding factor would then be who would fit in best with our other young core.

for a team to consider Paolo clearly above Chet, or Chet clearly above Paolo, they'd have to have them on different tiers completely. maybe that happens between now and the draft. there's a lot of time for their stocks to rise and fall. but right now its a coin flip for #1 because they're on the same tier. so whoever has the #1 pick will likely select between the two of them based on fit.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

9. i3artow i3aller

10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

This thread is so sad

12 games into the season there’s nothing to look forward to except the picks in the next draft

With at least a 72.6% chance of NOT having the top 2 picks

#270 palmsnbananas, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    jimmyv281 likes this.
  11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Chet is so skinny.

Mobley > Chet

palmsnbananas likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I’m hoping for Paolo in 22 and Bates in 23. Green/Bates/Paolo would be one helluva trio to build around.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You want Bates over Wembayomama?

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

Huge linescore from Chet Holgrem tonight vs Texas: 23 minutes 4 fouls 5 boards. One assist, two blocks, 4 PFs. He goes 1-3 from the field, scoring two whole points.

Where are all the knee-jerk reactions? :confused:

Holmgren's terrible
    a worthless player
    not a scorer
    foul prone
    not the best player on his team
    the coach only played him 23 minutes, etc. ​

Holmgren gets to play with amateurs as a role player, deferring to Timme (who is much older than most Rockets) who scored a career-high 37. I guess all that lack of usage is just going to ruin Holmgren for the future.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what this post is about. Did you watch the game?
    They demolished Texas, wasn’t even close. He was a huge defensive presence and they didn’t need him to do anything on offense.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Havent checked him out yet

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think fans usually want to believe in guys with an unusual height + skill combo, but more often than not, guys with that skinny of a frame can't ever be go-to guys. KD is a huge exception, but that's because he had the floor game and lateral mobility of an elite-SG.

Look at Pokuseveki from OKC -- he's unusually skilled for a 7-footer, and has gotten a ton of attention even though he's shot 33.7 FG% and 27.5% from 3 thus far in his career. Granted it's very early, but people glossing over the fact that he's under 200lbs at 7-feet is insane, because that's the biggest reason he struggles to score. Obviously Chet's far beyond him as a 2-way player, but I can see him facing similar issues with his weight hindering him.

Now I think he'll be fine, and will show flashes as the season progresses, but I don't know if his offensive upside is as high as people want to believe, because of his abnormally thin frame.

jimmyv281 and palmsnbananas like this.
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

I am making fun of the ridiculous levels of overreactions to box score numbers that make no sense.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Chet is freakishly skilled, but there’s no way I’d take him as a top pick unless he gained a lot of weight first. He doesn’t look like a guy who is going to have a lot of luck gaining mass either. That’s just me though. His risk reward ratio is just too high in my opinion. Paulo seems like a much safer pick.

cmoak1982 likes this.