1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

But but but why you gotta come with the facts tho

burlesk likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

READ MY LIPS: Porter is not a Point Guard he is a NBA Starter but not a Point Guard.

He needs to play SF and we need to get a PG to help Green. We need a leader and Porter is not it. Porter will either getting caught celebrating after a shot or yelling at the ref because he miss a shot and he does not go back and play defense....THIS IS COMICAL. Silas will not talk to him, or direct him on the court. They are a sloppy team, they do not HUSTLE.

amaru and Joe Rocket like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Progress… Keep grinding.

DaDakota, Rudyc281 and apollo33 like this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Shot selection is better. Didn't try to force those shots, but he needs to watch where the defender is before making passes.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

5 assists only 1 turnover - growth.

DD

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Seeing progress every game. He's not doing a lot of the dumb stuff he did in the beginning of the season

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No I dont think he showed potential for point guard. He showed that he can be a scorer like we all thought. Not a point guard though.

8. DaDakota

He is making great passes to Theiss as he dives to the hole, and made some great passes out to shooters that bricked. I think he is showing amazing growth as a PG.

He will never be NASH, but he can be someone like Francis or Harden

DD

Williamson, NewAge and tycoonchip like this.
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He made A great pass to Theis and missed a billion other simple passes to the rim. He will never be Harden and Harden is just as good if now a better passer than Nash imo. Francis maybe. I like KPJ he's not a point guard. We are wasting time with this ****. He would be a great small foward on this team. We should keep him as guard if we cant get a young pg for wood and gordon this year. But we need to be looking at young point guards this summer.

amaru likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Maybe, depends upon how he grows and what the organization envisions a PG to be, most of them are now scoring point guards, no more pass first.

Trae Young, Steph Curry, Lillard, Harden, Kyrie - I mean the list goes on and on....so many guys playing point are score first or at least score as an equal option to pass.

DD

Williamson likes this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we all hell bent on trying to help Green? Just move Green's a$$ to the 6th man role until he's ready. He's getting wide open F'n looks. He's just not hitting them. Everyone wants to blame Silas but the fact of the matter is, put an actual good shooter next to KPJ whether it be at the 1 or 2 and 3 the Rockets will have a floor spaced out. Kpj is doing fine as a young pg or a ball handling 2. The last few games showed it. He's actually improving in leaps and bounds. He's a good ball handler as well. His defense has improved as well. Yes it helps having multiple ball handlers. So it would be great to have someone else who we can put along side KPJ to relieve some of that pressure.
    No the Answer is not let Green do it.

palmsnbananas, DaDakota and NewAge like this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

And he'd probably have more assists if people actually made their shots.

palmsnbananas, burlesk and DaDakota like this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LMAO Harden is currently a pass first point guard. Curry plays in a system with high iq players and a world class coach. When I say he's not a point guard I mean for the Rockets because when you dont have a system and the coach gives you freedom you need a real point guard. Sure they could run a system where you dont really need a past first guard but we dont have the coach for that. Trae Young averages almost 10 assists. Lillard averages near 10 assists. Kyrie is a shooting guard for the Nets because it was evident to everyone with eyes he's not actually a point guard. Everyone you mentioned has ballhandling skills that are among the best ever. KPJ's ballhandling is seviceable at best.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You guys desperately are trying to make this a Green vs KPJ or Green vs Sengun thing. Its the only way to deflect from KPJ being horrible at his job. Green and Sengun are 19 year old rookies KPJ is supposed to be way ahead of them and other than tonight he looks worse and even tonight he barely looks like a point guard. Its not a player vs player thing. Its a sucky coach needs to take his head out of his ass thing. If we had a system that didnt put so much pressure on KPJ then he would be fine.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Porter played great tonight. He was playing the PG position very well. AND THEN, he makes one mistake and Silas benches him for the next ten minutes. He should have played the entire first quarter, then maybe 5 mins off in the second and right back in. This game was all on Silas. Now that Segun can shoot 3’s he should easily be getting 25-30 mins a game. Trade Wood and give Segun and Porter monster minutes and you will see a much more consistent team. We should be starting Porter, Gordan, Tate, KJM, Segun. Start getting Garuba more minutes or send him down to RGV. Green coming off the bench against second units will help his confidence and also give him the opportunity to be the focus of the offense.

palmsnbananas and So Saith Red like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s bringing his turnovers down…they’ve gone from over 6 a game to just over 4 which is still terrible when u only average 5 assists, but it’s still improvement

still think we need to stop this PG experiment…KPJr effectively running an offense is just something I can’t see, and he also can not shoot

37/30/64 shooting splits…that’s Russ at his worst percentages

career 71% free throw shooter is a big indicator of the caliber of shooter he is…he’s way below average

Rudyc281 and Joe Rocket like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's still making progress and we don't have anyone better, so I see no reason to make a change. When you are relatively new to the position and have yet to develop chemistry with a lot of the other players on the team, and you are running the 2nd fastest paced offense in the NBA, there's going to be turnovers.

So long as he keeps making improvement, that's all I need to see.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so he's got this going for him . . . which is nice

256327476_10159669696632320_5833707650088757671_n.jpg

burlesk, Williamson and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with everything except the everybody blames Silas. Your assumption is put a good shooter next to KPJ, not Green. Well, who can do that? Silas. Instead when Porter was on a roll last night, looking as good as I have seen him all year he benched him for 10 mins and Portland took over the game. KPJ is getting better every game. Green should be with the second unit. If Porter had a Herro or another shooter next to him, he would be averaging the 7 assists a game I predicted. Unfortunately, I don’t think that guy is on the roster. Please don’t say Brooks. Everybody knows Brooks’ only value is his 3 pt shot and they are in his face at all times. He has no other NBA level skill set.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who do you have in mind? Because I don't think they even make traditional point guards anymore. All of the pure pass first guards that are in the league are 30+ already. If you go look at the scouting reports for the point guards entering the next few drafts, every single one of them sites facilitating as a weakness.

Corrosion likes this.