1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

It would not really matter because Chet guards three spots on the floor straight up and switches extremely well, it would basically be positionless basketball. Chet also in on the perimeter often on offense.

2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Banchero's off the dribble game reminds me of Carmelo or Michael Beasley. Sliced up Kentucky with the midrange and made it look smooth and easy. Fun to watch. I want to see more playmaking from him, but he looks like the real deal.

Was really impressed with Holmgren's vision and rebounding. Passing with that height and length..he just drops it over defenders. Really looking forward to Gonzaga vs. Texas.

3. MystikArkitect

I'm gonna need a minute.

Nook likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

KPJ
    Green
    KMJ
    Tate
    Holmgren

5. Nook

Nook Member

Wow, okay.

First recently history shows that college players that rely on their physical strength to get buckets in college struggle more in the NBA than players that rely on quickness. So some of efficiency is likely to go down in the NBA. Having said that, he IS extremely strong and he is fairly polished and he can use both hands and will get buckets in transition and on pin downs. He also should be a threat from the three point line and has the potential maybe to beat some off the dribble. He will likely get a decent amount of rebounds because he is active and hustles. Offensively he is going to likely be a star and score 20 points a game or more.

The problem is that he doesn't especially move well laterally and that limits him defensively to guarding 5's and some 4's. So he won't be able to switch on defenders like teams want in the NBA. While he has to defend 5's (as some 4's are perimeter oriented), he also is not a defensive shot blocker or post presence, so teams will be able to score in the lane on him. As a result he will need to play next to a very mobile 4 or 5 that also is a post deterrent like Evan Mobley. That really is a hard combo to find in the league. Also, the other option is if he goes to a team that had a really dominant defensive 1-3. So in short, he is limited defensively.

He is a player with a high floor. He is going to score in the NBA and likely will have decent to good efficiency if he takes good shots. He should be good early on in his career as well. However, he is physically limited positionally and defensively and that will likely keep him from being a superstar. He can be like a Jamal Mashburn (had Mash not gotten hurt). The closest comparison in recent times at this point in development (freshman in college) is Jabari Parker. They are similar level prospects. No I am not saying he will be a bust like Parker, only that they are similar value wise when it comes to at the same age.

I think anyone that gets him will be very happy with him as long as they don't expect him to be a franchise player. He is likely a high scoring, high energy all star level guy with flaws that are hard to hide defensively.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Great showing by these guys.

I'm happy with either, just want a frontline big this draft with star potential.

Chet brings more defense as of right now and his stat lines might be amazing this season. Paolo looks like a better scorer as of now, nba ready body wise.

7. MystikArkitect

I see this as well. He kinda reminds me of Cade Cunningham. Does a lot of things fundamentally well and looks physically the part but doesn't really have an explosive first step or a physical advantage over NBA players. Could struggle at the NBA level where the players are bigger than you and you spent a year or more dominating lesser opponents.

Nook likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with a lot of this but I think Banchero is a much better athlete Parker but Parker was more a little more polished skill-wise.

The Mashburn comparison is a good one but I think a Mashburn 2.0, right now I lean Banchero because I am afraid Holmgren will be an injury risk because of his freakish size but even then with this team it might be worth the risk because of the upside.

I am full-on team tank because this draft is looking to be very deep with some great prospects.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Reading that piece, Julius Randle is a good comp for Banchero. Offensively gifted, similar size and athleticism, not a great defender.
    All star level player, but maybe never a top 5 player.
    Chet has top 3 in the league potential, he also has out of the league in 2 years potential.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Which ever can help right away .

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think both are helping right away. I think Chet fits better personally. The defense plays right away

12. Nook

Nook Member

Parker in high school and as a freshman was a pretty good athlete. He wasn't as active as Banchero, but Parker had a really strong first step. He just has gotten very lazy in the NBA and doesn't show it often anymore.

Yeah Mashburn is the best comparison I could think of as far as production is concerned.

I want to see how Holmgren holds up this season. If Holmgren is able to play and avoid injury I would likely take him because of the huge upside. There are also a couple others worth following as well. Banchero is perfect if he is there and you are picking 2nd or third and Holmgren and or Hardy or Duren are off the board.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

I'm leaning Boba Chet. I'd be more concerned with Holmgren's rail thin skeleton frame if there was an injury history there, but there's not. He also plays with great toughness despite his slight build. 7'1 with a 7'6 wingspan.being hailed as the best shot blocker we've seen since AD. Then on the offensive end this guy is a three level scorer with an incredibly rare handle and playmaking abilities for someone his size. Put some extra meat on those bones and it's Chet by a mile.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually, I have watched Banchero in any real depth so I can't really compare I just know he looks the part more than Parker.

He like Parker could just be more skilled and developed than who he is currently playing and those things don't work as well in the NBA when he is playing with people who are also a size athletic match.

Mashburn was ahead of his time his game would have translated very well to today's NBA, with all of the spacing.

Nook likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His passing angles on his overhead passes are ridiculous. Those can't even be tipped because his reach is so high

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

his outlet passes are insane yet perfect. He passes like Sengun out of the high post. His handle makes you think this will get stolen a lot… but it doesn’t and then you realize you’re just thinking it because of his size. Same handle on a 6’8 dude and you’d be like “great handle!”

So if I knew for sure he could “handle” real bigs both in terms of physicality and injury potential… the fit with Sengun is a no brainer. 2 supremely high IQ players, both with inside out capabilities, both great passers, both great defenders (or at least as good as their body type allows), pick setters, etc, etc.

But don’t get me wrong… Banchero looked great too.

just think for now not only is Chet the higher upside unicorn player he’s also the better fit next to Sengun and from a pure winning perspective. Two guys that just play the right way. Nvm that Chet could potentially slide 3-5 positions at times.

Chet/Sengun/KMJ/Green/KPJ (but I’m on the I’d rather have a “true”’PG boat) would be crazy potential (but sadly just potential until it proves otherwise).

#136 JayZ750, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The more I think about it, the more I think we don't really have to worry about drafting a young point guard, especially if we can get both Sengun and Chet who can both pass and handle the ball. All you really need at that point is to sign or trade for an older vet pg who can hold the fort down and play defense like Lowry.

JayZ750 likes this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

Rockets better land the #1 pick for I'm already daydreaming of Holmgren blocking shots or ripping defensive boards and hurling touchdown passes effortlessly down the court to a wide open streaking J. Green. Getting goosebumps now imagining the basketball jazz Alperen and Chet would be creating together.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I considered the Randle comparison a few years ago, but that was more because I hadn't seen him enough (plus he's grown a lot since then)

Banchero's scoring arsenal is on a different level than Randle. He has a far smoother J, is taller/longer, more poised/under control, and overall just has everything you'd want in a go-to offensive player in the frontcourt. And unlike Randle, he can score in the flow of the game, but also he can carry the offense if needed.

If AD is a big, and Tatum is a forward, Banchero would be the big/forward combination of the two, if that makes sense. He's one of the smoothest offensive players at his size/age I've seen.

Holmgren on the other hand reminds me of a Porzingis/Evan Mobley mix. His frame will always scare me, and I think it hinders his max-upside, but as long as he's not asked to be the go-to guy, I think his impact will be great. Offensively, I think he fits best as a #2 or #3 on a great team, but could be an All-NBA defender if he's paired with big(s) with muscle/toughness inside.

I think when you watch Evan Mobley's defensive impact on a Cavs team where Jarrett Allen is the primary C defender, that's what I could potentially see from Chet -- a guy whose length/mobility causes a ton of problems in a switch-heavy league.

--

As for the Rockets, I'd lean Banchero, because I think he's the best player in this class. But Holmgren might technically fit better with our roster, and especially next to Sengun, due to his length/rim-protection.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I can see the Paolo comps.
    Chets defense is elite, what sets him apart is he has the same offensive capabilities as Paolo as far as handle and outside shooting potential. Not as smooth as Paolo.
    I would be happy with either honestly.

I still think Chet has a far higher upside, with Paolo having a way higher floor.