1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It wasn't Jon Daniels, different GM

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Maybe wife is afraid of New York, too much expectation, media, stress, crazy people.

They get to stay in Texas at least, her parents live in Texas.

Carlos should go to the Rangers, why not

Squirtle likes this.
  3. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

NY will have crazy expectations. For sure.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would be more interested in what other observers saw. Especially a more detailed account.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Expectations that no human being can live up to over 7+ years probably.

How does Cole feel about NY these days?

6. Nick

Nick Member

I'm sure the Astros brass enjoys Chandler's poking fun at "formulas" and basically saying anything they say right now regarding Correa is basically bullshit.

Nook likes this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I'm sure he still sleeps alright with 300 million, ha. But agreed, he's gotta be at least partially second guessing his choice.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

A rich franchise kicking the tires on top free agents isn't news. Correa and Seager reps are going to be contacted by *a lot* of teams: that's kinda how this works.

BigMaloe, crose, Elienator and 2 others like this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

With some uncertainty in the market, the Astros are being smart by not bidding against themselves. Correa was not going to sign with Houston before testing the market, and there's no need to throw out a 10/$300MM offer if the best he can get on the open market is 6/$180.

I'm sure they've asked him to give them the opportunity to match his best offer. I still believe Correa wants to stay here if the money is right.

BigMaloe, Plowman, DVauthrin and 5 others like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Team with most money interested in good free agents, more at 6.

Bregatron, SWTsig, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Member

That you'll get MVP production at SS and be able to trade him to a big market team if your team struggles?

Major, Elienator and marks0223 like this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's probably not even top 5 in MVP this year and that is without Trout in the mix. We already know he's not top 3.....

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

Even so, he did give an MVP-caliber season, and even that misses the point. You can move a big contract as long as the player is still productive.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am getting tired of reading this. Of course the Astros offer isn't in Correa's ballpark, but what Correa wants isn't in the Astros ballpark either.

As far as his worth goes, that isn't set by a highest offer if that offer is an overpay. His actual worth in such a case is somewhat less. Seldom do contracts over 5-6 years work out. Because someone might offer 8-10 years doesn't mean they wont regret it somewhere down the road (likely).

Having said that, Correa isn't wrong to go after such a deal if someone offers it, that is where he wants to play, and money is his overriding imperative.

Should he get such an offer, it wont mean to me the Astros were cheap or didnt want him. It means they were wise enough not to tie their hands to a bad deal.

Nook likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Carlos Correa rips New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter

If someone wants to alienate the Yankees and their fans, all they have to do is criticize one of those legendary players. That is something that Carlos Correa will end up learning after his criticism of Derek Jeter, saying that the former Yankees’ shortstop did not deserve to win any of his five Gold Glove awards.

Carlos Correa clearly not going to New York Yankees or Miami Marlins
    Those comments clearly show that Correa is not heading to the Yankees. Likewise, he is not heading to the Marlins either, as that would be a relatively awkward conversation with Jeter. Now he has to pick from the other 28 teams in the league for his next home.

https://calltothepen.com/2021/11/10/carlos-correa-rips-new-york-yankees-legend-derek-jeter/

arkoe, mikol13 and everyday eddie like this.
  16. megastahr

megastahr Member

you realize they paid a lot of arods salary in the trade to yanks. They paid him to play for the yanks lol.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

My mistake. Thank you for the correction.

rockets1995 likes this.
  18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

They paid $67M of his remaining $179M and received two years of Alfonso Soriano and a prospect that busted (Joaquin Arias) in return. They traded Soriano after two years for Brad Wilkerson, Armando Galarraga and Termel Sledge.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

If you don’t believe me, that’s your choice. But, I’m not coming here and lying/embellishing anything. I hate people who troll online. Also, I have a background in Journalism as that was my major at UT-Austin in the early 2000s.

I flipped my TV to MLB Network and the hosts were interviewing Click. I summarized what he said to the hosts as best I could. At the time, I tried to find a clip of the interview, but couldn’t via Twitter. I just found a link to the interview via MLB.com, so here it is:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-click-on-astros-outlook

Trying to embed it, but it keeps telling me the video can’t be found.

#219 DVauthrin, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  20. leroy

leroy Member

He wasn't wrong. Jeter was a vastly overrated defensive ss. It was just as much a travesty that he won 5 GGs as it was that Adam Everett, possibly the most underrated defensive SS in the history of the game, won none.

rockets1995 likes this.