1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chase Is On

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j@amc, Nov 8, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's the thing though. A number of us expected it sure, but it's the ones who continuously tried to make themselves believe this team was going to be competing for a play in spot and be that competitive off the bat that are mad. They set unrealistic expectations as if this team clearly wouldn't be one of the worst teams in the league and reality will continue to set in.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both solid options.

I'll add that one of the things that concerns me about Paolo is actually how physically mature and strong he is. He already weighs like 250 lbs. I wonder if he'll be as dominant when he has to face guys who as big or bigger than him. There aren't a whole lot of 18 year olds as stout as him at 6'10.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I found it insane that people (some with basketball knowledge) believed that this Rockets team would be competing for a play in spot. First, the team doesn't have a real point guard and the ball is handled by two scoring guards that are very raw and turn the ball over a lot. Second, the backcourt defense is atrocious and it isn't all effort. Neither backcourt player has especially good defensive instincts and lacks the experience to know where to be and what to do defensively. As a result any defensive system involving switches is going to be a huge failure. Inside, the Rockets are theoretically mediocre with Wood and Theis, but the reality is that they don't really play well together.

On offense the spacing is terrible because the backcourt is so young and inexperienced. No one other than Gordon has every really won or played a high winning type of basketball. Last, it isn't like the Rockets have Pop of Larry Brown out there coaching them either.

everyday eddie and YOLO like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Banchero doesn't move well laterally, which will limit him defensively.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm not even going to front--I've seen ZERO clips of Banchero so I don't know what to expect. Is his footwork solid? If so, I think that's where his learning curving from college to the NBA could lessen a bit. Strong forwards with good footwork tend to have an easier time adapting to the NBA life of facing guys as big or bigger than they are.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bingo. There's only one current player actually playing, that has experience playing winning basketball at a high level. And out of all people it's EG. Theis has been with Boston but hes been nothing more than a role player that needs to be on a good team to contribute. He's actually overpaid for such a mediocre player but cashed in on the right team at the right time. He was always going to be exposed on a bad team because he isn't that good to impact a game to begin with. Other than that there isn't a single player that knows or has shown the capability of leading teams to wins on this roster. All of that continues to be huge question marks and will continue to be until someone actually shows accession towards being a positive impact player. Assuming said player will turn into this or that is meaningless when it comes to actually evaluating how good a team really is

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Banchero is a fairly well polished offensive player. He can finish well inside and can hit open shots from the outside. He can even put the ball on the floor some. He will likely score 20 points a game or more in the NBA with minutes. The issue with Banchero is on the defensive end. He doesn't have good lateral movement and isn't fluid. Also he isn't a great playmaker.

He has a really high floor but I question how high his ceiling is. I don't think he is a franchise type player.

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

Low end....an engaged Jahlil Okafor?

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes. His footwork and fundamentals are very solid. He's skilled at practically everything, but doesn't strike me as particularly quick or athletic. When I watch him I am strangely reminded of Shane Battier. They are totally different players at totally different positions. But I am reminded of how Battier was able to dominate in college because he was more polished and smarter than the competition. In the NBA, however, he was just a roleplayer. He was a roleplayer that had a long and productive career, no doubt, but a roleplayer nonetheless.

Chet's highlights are a whole lot of fun to watch. He does exciting things at his size. Even Paolo's highlights seem a little boring to me.

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d say an Okafor/Horford hybrid

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

I remember Duke Batter--that dude DOMINATED college basketball. If it weren't for the influx of high school prospects he would have been a top 3 pick easily the year he got drafted.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Low end is better than that. He has the speed and game to play some outside of the lane and is a better athlete than Okafor. Banchero is going to score in the NBA, he just may not do anything else. I guess an absolute worst outcome is Jabari Parker but that is really unlikely.

steddinotayto and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. steddinotayto

That wouldn't be so bad though I guess it depends on what a team is really wanting out of picking this guy #1.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Well that is the thing. He will be a long term NBA starter and likely an all star at some point - but is that good enough for the #1 pick? It is the Elton Brand situation. A big that can score and run the floor but has issues defensively on switches and doesn't block shots. Antawn Jamison comes to mind, maybe a Jamal Mashburn type player...... good but not great.

Chet Holmgren on the other hand has a higher spectrum because of his frame. He could end up injured and out of the league or he could end up a first ballot Hall of Famer and MVP. Holmgren has a far wider skill set.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a stud, but like Nook is saying I don’t think he has the upside Chet has.
    His face up and dribble drive is great for a big guy. Good athlete but not elite. Can shoot.
    Really can’t go wrong with Chet or Paolo. Chet has legit unicorn potential but could also be a massive bust too.

Squirtle and steddinotayto like this.
  16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Son of Mike Holmgren?!

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes!

Squirtle likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I hate to say it because he plays for Memphis and folks seem to be putting a lot of attention on Banchero who garners all the mainstream Duke attention, but don't just overlook Jalen Duren. he has like a 7'5 wing span at 6'10/6'11. very very talented big. He's already physical in the paint and a workhorse.

Denovo, Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Duran is solid too, could very well have a Dwight type career.
    Don’t think he has the offensive upside of Paolo or Chet. And Chet is an even better defender and longer.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah He's not going to have the offensive freedom at memphis to the level of a Paolo/Chet. And he understands that. He's accepting to be a Bam type player there with the roster they have this year which is what Penny is trying to do

cmoak1982 likes this.