1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

We have to get rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Nov 7, 2021.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

This isn’t a knee jerk thread. I was at the game last night sitting right behind the bench trying to observe as much as possible.

First.. John Wall isn’t teaching or coaching ****. He didn’t sit next to KPJ all game not did he talk to him during timeouts.

Second.. We could tell that Usman is pissed about his lack of playing time.. we screamed we want Usman and he turned around and gave us a thumbs up. But looks dejected.

Third.. Jalen Green had been in the game since ~10:42 left in the 4th.. he hadn’t gotten going on offense and Tate and a couple other players kept saying how much they couldn’t breathe so I get the sub out Jalen had ran for 8 minutes that’s hard.

Ok onto Scoot.. so last night just watching I noticed he doesn’t really have a sideline presence with his teammates. And I think it leads to on court chemistry or lack thereof. Aside from the fact that he is struggling to run point his ATTITUDE IS AWFUL!! After the last possession where Tate was blocked and CWood brought the ball up KPJ is walking back to the bench violently screaming PASS ME THE ****ING BALL! All his teammates just ignored it or turned away as if they didn’t want to get involved with his b**** session. Him and JG you can tell don’t really have chemistry.

I say all that you say I believe we will need to cut ties with KPJ by the offseason. The Cavs were right about his attitude. But if we do it sooner before he blows up the locker room we’d get more value.

2. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I’m right behind the backboard when Jalen dunks with the TMac throwback and black hat.

roslolian, BigShasta and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. a time to chill

I'm not ready to give up on KPJ just yet. But in a season when we're supposed to be "developing our rookies" I don't understand why we don't see Josh Christopher and Usman Garuba get minutes unless it's garbage time.

eliefor3, DreamR, DeBeards and 15 others like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, KPJ is the second worst player on the team getting more than garbage time minutes, they should absolutely give up on him and the worst player on the team getting more than garbage time minutes, Jalen Green.

If young players struggle, you have to get rid of them.

Also, they've gotta get some playing time for Garuba down in RGV where he belongs.

roslolian and wlekfjv923n like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

The rotations Silas continues to play befuddle me. This is the worst rookie coach I can think of, can't even develop our young guys.

DeBeards, Joe Rocket, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

KPJ doesn’t have much value to be honest. Might be able to get our second round pick back.

DeBeards and Manny Ramirez like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Think we just rushed it to be honest. Might be best to bring him off the bench while he tightens up his decision making and understanding.

I think the other guys are struggling cause of him and he is struggling more cause of them. Might be best to start Augustin (Without increasing minutes) and let KPJ run a more veteran unit while the young guys play with a vet PG.

No shame in this, all depends on how he responds. He just takes too long to take the exact same difficulty of shot he had to start the play.

MarioKissoDeath, 34to11, Easy and 7 others like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I don't think we need to give up on him, I do think we need to try somebody else for the PG experiment though. Give Jalen and Christopher a go, if they suck cool, at least we tried to see if we already had a guy. I think KP just works better as a scorer and not the main ballhandler, that certainly doesn't mean you instantly give up on a player with that much talent, just try playing to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

Ramo$e and Joe Rocket like this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Just give it until end of year and see what happens. Just looks nervous and second guessing after being given the role of point

His defense has improved and the kid is just crafty

If he is really that bad then keep playing him and let the tank continue

clos4life and HP3 like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green and Josh Christopher are playing worse than KPJ, so that's not a solution.

Christopher needs to be in RGV and both Green and KPJ should probably come off the bench.

I think we should be giving more time to the young players who actually looked good so far like Sengun and KMJ.

There's no reason why players who have been as awful as Green and KPJ should be seeing the floor as much as they have been.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If KPjr doesn't cut the mustard out top, he's a helluva attacker off the wing...a unique talent. This squad's chockful of 19-21 yr olds, What do you expect? There's a different dynamic at work with them trying to move him to PG. And, it makes for moments that appear uncomfortable right now. All these guys have growing pains to experience, and on top of that Scoot is being asked to learn the toughest spot in the midst of all this. I guarantee if he was wasn't playing PG, playing to his strengths at present, you wouldn't be saying...move him. The way he sees it, they've charged him with being the PG, and everything that goes with it. He SHOULD have the ball in that situation.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

KPJ acting like Russell Westbrook is a huge problem for the Rockets

Jalen Green is in a Kevin Durant mold, when KPJ never passes to Jalen for a open shot.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We don't have to give up on him. Let's just move him to SF and bring in an actual PG. He is still a good talent, just need to find him a proper role.

DeBeards, roslolian, bmelo and 12 others like this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alperen Sengun needs to knock KPJ out, just to him in place.
    Alperen is literally running the offense, unlike KPJ. KPJ just ballhogs at the end of the game.

If he acts whiny, Rockets need to trade him

PeterKingX and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Appreciate the game insights, it's always cool to get some highlights from someone actually there.

I anticipated the first half of the season to be kind of ugly. We're a team caught between two worlds--trying to rebuild/grow new talent and also showcasing vets for potential deals. Silas is also trying to mesh a variety of styles, attitudes and generations. Taking that all into account there is going to be friction and frustration.

Despite the above, we have played 3 strong games against Lakers, Suns and Nuggets. While I agree it's important to be aware of the game within the game, I'm more interested in how hard we work, how we compete and the outcome. In those areas we're making progress.

Hopefully Usman and Josh will get some burn in the G-League once that season kicks off. That will get them some minutes and give them an opportunity to work on their games in our system.

As for Scoot, he's not a natural PG or leader, that makes his OJT that much tougher. While I agree that attitude is critical, I'm not ready to give up on him. I will say, I'm very disappointed in Wall from your observations. John should be the first off the bench putting his arm around Scoot when he needs some encouragement or advice. I mean TF is paying you a King's Ransom to just be a part of the team, earn your frickin money bro.

Milos, 34to11, Easy and 6 others like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably better to just move him to SG and bring in a PG. SF should be KMJ.

Bring in a PG or just play Sengun with the starters. If Sengun is on the court running the offense, you can have 2 SG's on the floor without a problem.....that is, if either of them could shoot.

Y2JT likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys aren’t meant for the tanking, developing grind, and most of you even asked for it. Relax, and be patient. It is going to get a lot worse, than it will get better.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lucas didn't turn nobody around, we're just giving into KPJ's lunacy.
    Green is the future and this franchise is too afraid to say it.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a horrifying thought, I'd be afraid to admit that too. If the next Corey Brewer is the future of the franchise, we're going to have a LOT of really hard to watch seasons.

Downtown Sniper likes this.