1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also super tradeable for this reason.

When the Rockets unload Wall for Lillard, Tate will be involved

heypartner and Jontro like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

pls also take kjp

Squirtle likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Tate is a solid player but being 6'4 he is very limited who wants to plays inside. He is not a good shooter but a hard working defensive player so he should come off the bench. Martin should start over him.

txtodd, Squirtle and PatBev like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

How good is Tate? Good.

D-rock likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to hit his threes, or he is too much of a liability as a starter.

Absolutely love the guy.

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I wish Tate was about 4 to 5 inches taller but If Garuba brings the same level D and can produce offensively it won't matter. I think the Rockets will be a hell of a team in a few years.

D-rock likes this.
  7. j@amc

j@amc Member

I agree. Currently, the Jalen Green and Tate combination needs some work. Their games don't naturally complement each other all that well. At this point, Martin's game seems to offer more dynamic play on both sides of the ball. It's a credit to Martin that he's earned his minutes in the rotation. Hopefully, the coaches will continue to reward his hard work.

On offense, Martin can get his points off the ball with sharp cuts and finishes above the rim. It also certainly helps the Rockets defense to pair KMJ's athleticism with Green's liabilities.

While Tate is a reasonable one-on-one defender, opposing players know they can get to their shots against Tate if they are patient. But they fear Martin's weak side help.

I would challenge Tate to provide a spark off the bench. Ultimately, that's the role that he'll need to grow into over time.

Squirtle likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I'm not sure if you'll remember that past so long ago when we were competitive and we had a stocky, defensive player whose only real offensive contribution was a corner 3? Not much taller than Tate, was fundamental in winning a championship not long after we moved him...

9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Your Tate vs Tucker comps are fine, but Tucker has always had the same (or better) quickness than Tate plus 15 pounds and tons of strength on him. It's possible that Tate could grow into that position, but at every level, Tucker has been an in-the-trenches forward.

I don't have a problem with Tate. I just think unless he becomes a lights-out 3-point shooter that he's going to have a hard time holding down a starting job. And the production that Martin brings is quite real. Both seem like serviceable options on this Rockets team. Right now, I think Green and Martin make a better pair.

Squirtle and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A smaller PJ Tucker.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

needs to get that 3pt shot down!
    get in the gym tater! do the real hustle...

12. dmoneybangbang

Poor man's Scottie Barnes!?!?!

snowconeman22 and Corrosion like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree that the Tate-Green combo is rough. And KJ adds a dimension missing in starting lineup, rim protection plus 3ball.

But IMO the odd man out is Green.

Green has a really good 2 man game with Sengun but requires MAX space and pace to go super saiyan.

The starting unit would play 5 out like Silas prefers while 2nd unit would be 4 out, which is to both Green AND Sengun's strengths.

So I would surround him with Sengun and physical perimeter players like Theis, Snipa, Augustin, JC, etc.

He should still get his 36 minutes and be part of death lineup but let him be the microwave off the bench burning down opposing teams 2nd units.

Let these guys deal with 1st unit:

KPJ
    EGo
    Tate
    KJ
    Wood

I'd even throw Garuba into that 1st unit.

#215 D-rock, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Dobbizzle and FrontRunner like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

He certainly gave Lebron conniptions.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I wouldn't be against that as a starting unit. It'd be nice if we could play EG as a partner to both KP and Green, would be a positive on both ends I think. Hopefully JC and Garuba will get good run in the G-league so we can see them develop because I just don't think Silas is on that at all right now.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

One of the best contracts in the NBA.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.