1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Need to bring back Colin McHugh, pretty such Graveman will be getting a large contract somewhere.

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

If they asked for Meyers(Castellanos replacement?) and either Hunter Brown or Alex Santos, would you do it? Too high, too little? Is Castillo better than Berrios? Berrios got a haul.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Siri was just acquired this past off season as a flyer and Meyers was still a work in progress given the lack of a minor league season last year.

Tucker was always going to be the Reddick replacement. Had they been able to work out something with Springer within 2019 (or right after), I'm sure Crane would have been good with a 5-6 year deal. Has to be mutual interest for those things to happen though... and George seemed hellbent on testing free agency after all the other shenanigans they'd gone through.

4. raining threes

I would offer Whitley/ Javier/Chaz/Barefoot/Kessinger

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

There is ZERO reason to think Crane is "going to get cheap"

ktex likes this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Payroll is 110 mil currently with Pressly vesting and Yuli being picked up. I doubt arbitration will be beyond 30 mil which would give them 60 mil shy of the 200 mil luxury tax

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The problem with looking at fangraphs and other locations is they don't include certain realities. For instance, they only have Jake Odorizzi's AAV listed which is 8 million. However, Odorizzi has incentives that can make that salary up to 14.75 million. So the Astros have to maintain that extra 6.75 million under the tax if they aren't going over.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would definitely do Meyers and Santos; I don’t think the Reds would go for that even if they thought highly of both prospects. Meyers and Brown would probably be a fair deal and might be more likely something the Reds would accept; they may require Houston to add in a young arm that can help their bullpen like Abreu or Paredes.

Castillo is not as good as Berrios imho but he is a legit ToR SP. Rough estimation, he projects for 7-8 war over the next 2 seasons before free agency and will likely earn about $20M, so he has a lot of surplus value (ballpark $40M). If you like Meyers it’s easy to peg him for $20M+ in surplus value (if you think he’s a 2 win/year player over the next 6 seasons, it could be as high as $40M). Brown is a Top 100 prospect so his value is also very high. Santos is harder to value as he is farther away.

Berrios got a Top 20 prospect and a prospect in the 50-100 range. For Houston that would translate to Pena and Brown, which I would not want them to do. But Brown and Meyers is still a lot of value to give up.

The Reds aren’t far from competing in the Central so they may not want to trade Castillo. But if they did they could do worse than netting an everyday caliber CF (Meyers) and a potential ToR SP (Brown).

punkoholic likes this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing that wouldn’t shock me is if Houston signs one of the elite SS whose market doesn’t materialize to a 1 year deal with a very low player option for a 2nd year. Player options count in the luxury tax calculation so for example if Trevor Story doesn’t find his $200M offer, Houston could offer him something like $34M/1yr with a $10M 2nd year player option, and he’d only count $22M against he 2022 luxury tax calculation. The Mets did something similar with Kevin Pillar last offseason.

punkoholic and Nook like this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Cheaters!!! ;)

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Buck up or nut up!

13. Nook

Nook Member

From what I am hearing Verlander should be a higher percentage than that at likely the favorite and Correa is actually lower than that.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Keith Law was who Luhnow wanted as scouting director before my friend got the gig.

I can tell you in person Law is a very nice guy and quite smart. He is opinionated though… but he did get a raw deal working for the Blue Jays.

Pringles likes this.
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

[/QUOTE]

That is surprising considering he is born in GA. And lives in the off-season in GA.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bregatron likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

Story isn't worth half that.... guy can't hit on the road...

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Pringles

Pringles Member

What do y'all think was wrong with our offense during the World Series? Just a one time thing or something we should be worried about next season? For a team that was historically a great offense - being shut out in two games with one of the games being pitched by the other team's bull pen... I am slightly concerned. Not sure if the concerns are reasonable however.

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Get rid of Bregman, keep Correa, bring in Kris Bryant...or do whatever it takes to sign Correa...Correa to me is what determines if the Astro's championship window is open or closed...not only because of the player he is, but also because of the leader he is.

20. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hitting slumps occurred frequently this past season.

rockbox, everyday eddie and Pringles like this.