1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Oct 30, 2021.

?

What pick will the Rockets have this year?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2022.

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. #2-3

48 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. #4-6

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. 7th or worse

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , not much at the top of the draft at the point guard spot and the team really doesn't need more bigs but .... if you land in the top 2 , you have to take the best player , not the best fit.

I think you could play Banchero at 3-4-5 , he's really versatile and a strong defender. He really reminds me of Lebron , just a little bigger.

Holmgren might be able to play the 3 spot too , he's got exceptional handles and is a great passer & reliable shooter. The only question is lateral quickness

Sengun
    Wood
    Banchero / Holmgren
    Green
    KPJ

That's a really big team .... but puts a lot of pressure on your guards to perform defensively.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Caleb Houstan would be neat pick here at the top 7 picks, supposedly the guy can shoot, and his last name. They need a SF.

Plowman and GOOGOOMECHUCK like this.
  3. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Banchero could run point for this team. Not even joking.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , he could . Like I said he reminds me of Lebron in that aspect - There's nothing he doesn't do at a high level on that end of the court .... but I don't think you want him guarding opposing points or shooting guards as a general rule. He can probably defend 3-4-5 at a high level but you'll need wing / perimeter defenders along with him.
    Same goes for Holmgren .... You don't want that guy defending 1's & 2's on the outside.

I'll be thrilled if we can get either one of them .... I have a feeling the Spurs win the lottery and Banchero.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

Weak, shallow draft with a lot of bust potential at the top. Aim for the highest pick possible and hope Banchero or Chet exhibit some semblance of an NBA position they can play at an elite level.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We're gonna catch fire and win too many games to be in the top 6... and everyone's cups will runneth over.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We need number one to get that franchise big to develop with Green and Sengun :cool:

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Isn't there some lengthy french kid that scouts are raving about as well? I am always a little cautious with guys like that and Chet, that are way too skinny for their size - it could go either way, but they of course posess some physicality that is very rare when you combine it with basketball skills...

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Silver is probably going to spread the wealth with some of the other sorry teams.

I also think we’re picking between 3-5.

11. dmoneybangbang

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think you gotta go with one of the two bigs (Banchero/Holmgren) if they stay atop the board, and move from there (trade Wood?). I like Banchero more, mostly because of Chet's crazy-thin frame, but he has less defensive upside than Holmgren. Not to mention Mobley's success as a lanky, skilled, mobile 7-footer bodes well for Holmgren, though he's even skinnier (and more perimeter oriented).

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a can't-miss classic SF in this class. There are a few guys who could rise (AJ Griffin, B.Mathurin, O.Dieng, C.Houstan, Kendall Brown etc).

13. csc177

csc177 Member

Jalen, Sengun & Banchero and trades for some vets gets us back in the hunt for relevancy.

Sorry KPJ I’m losing faith. Wood is as good as gone from future plans; both nice trade assets

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

At 1-7, we are tied for #2 (2nd worst record).

The last two games are good examples of the types of games we need to have. Looked good in the Lakers and Suns (for a half) before losing them. Need our guys to see their potential. Just need to fall short of it this year.

For those commenting on draft strength, please continue. My impression from those comments is top 2 or bust?

sydmill and Y2JT like this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

Houston's picks for 2022:
    2022 Own + DET pick if outside top 16* + POR pick if outside top 14* + BKN pick + MIL pick
    Doubtful the DET pick will be conveyed and POR will likely be in the lottery, so our 2022 + BKN/MIL picks, which will likely be in the 23-28 range. Unless we get a top 3 pick, I think we should consider bundling these picks in trades for veteran talent.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston’s 2022 picks:
    Own (currently 2nd)
    Brooklyn (currently 24th)
    Potential swap with Miami (currently 27th & wouldn’t swap)

Houston will receive the two most favorable of its 2022 1st round pick, Brooklyn's 2022 1st round pick and Miami's 2022 1st round pick protected for selections 1-14 and Miami will receive the least favorable of the three (via Houston's right to swap Houston or Brooklyn for Miami); if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyable, then Houston will instead receive its pick and the Brooklyn pick and the less favorable of Denver's 2022 2nd round pick and Philadelphia's 2022 2nd round pick

Detroit pick was sent to Oklahoma City
    Portland pick was last year
    Milwaukee (swap) pick was last year (also have 2023 Milwaukee 1st)

sydmill, alethios and mightybosstone like this.
  17. mightybosstone

So, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Houston has the Detroit pick anymore, and I don't remember them ever having Portland's 2022 first. Also, they swapped Milwaukee's 2022 first rounder for their 2023 first rounder in the Tucker trade. And because of the Oladipo deal, the Brooklyn pick could turn into Miami's pick if the Heat finish with a worse record than the Nets.

As far as I know, the only firsts Houston has right now are essentially two of the three firsts between their own, Brooklyn and Miami. And they get the two highest picks of the three.

sydmill and J.R. like this.
  18. mightybosstone

Beat me to it.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

Victor Wembanyama is phenomenal and in the '23 class (17 years old). Smooth 3 point shot with NBA range, can create space off the dribble, major shot-blocking/altering presence. Rail thin, but the sky is the limit. The best three-point shooting big man I've seen in ages. Others will join the tank-a-thon to get him.

LikeMike likes this.
  20. alethios

alethios Member

Yeah sorry, that was outdated info that I pulled from the sporting news site. thanks for the correction, @J.R.

J.R. likes this.