1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Astros vs. Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2021.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Agreed but there's a pressure and tactical change you can force on them if you show you're willing to go whenever. I think it's worth the effort early on tonight. Run for the sake of running and see if it makes them change things up any to protect from D'Arnaud's Piazza-like arm.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It was an incredibly important inning in an elimination game.

ramotadab and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

One issue with this is there over abundance of left handed arms. Crazy how many lefties the Braves have. Just a matter of time before we rock every lefty they have which started to happen already in Game 5.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

This is how I see it as well....... winning game 6 means nothing if we don't win game 7.

I would personally save Garcia for game 7 and piece things together in game 6 with the bullpen options. Garcia only threw 70 pitches last time out so maybe that plays into it. I also think that the Astros want to get Urquidy extra rest as well.

ramotadab and Squirtle like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think there’s a huge difference between running your ace out on short rest and expecting him to throw 6 scoreless innings vs what Houston is doing with Garcia. Houston knows they have 10 pitchers they can use and still have enough arms for Game 7 with Urquidy, Greinke, and Framber each able to throw 2 innings. I will be shocked if Garcia throws more than 3 innings and I’ll even be pleasantly surprised if he throws 3. I think Houston will be very happy to get thru 5 innings tonight with Garcia and Odorizzi.

6. HardenVolumeOne

Astros and the rockets both win tonight

todays date is 11/02

as you all know the number 112= Houston in gematria

deshaun watson was drafted round 1.. pick 12.. wouldn’t shocked if deshaun Watson was traded today

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Not sure why many feel Urquidy starts Game #6 and not Greinke. Urquidy has shown he can come off the bench and I would rather have him backup a guy that has been solid and hungry to win a ring.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I think that they want 3-4 innings out of him. They certainly want him through the line up once and if he is pitching well they may let him go out for the 4th inning on a short leash. People are still of the mindset of the last 100+ years where you trot Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax or Randy Johnson out there for 8-9 innings and it doesn't work that way. We will likely see Jake Odorizzi today for an inning or two without him shuffling through the line up a second time.

I am always concerned going through so many pitchers that you will get exposed because someone won't be "on", but I think we will see EVERYONE on a short leash with no margin for error unless we are up early. Graveman will not likely be available for game 6 but for a couple innings in game 7 if needed.... It is a major role of the dice but Valdez is likely available in a game 7 scenario as well.

The Braves need to get up early because the Astros get better offensively as the game progresses....

I really hope we see a lot of aggression on the base paths as they cannot stop the run at all.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Siri is all gas, no brakes. I'm guessing he was told to stay put until he got the signal.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Need a roof report.. looks beautiful outside, so anticipating the open air. Wind wasn’t a factor much in game 2 but there were some balls that looked crushed off the bat that just ended up dying (doubt it was truly just a roof open effect, but who knows given how infrequent they’ve played open roof games).

ramotadab likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think the pitch count very much plays into it. The most he's thrown this post season is 76 in Game 6 against Boston. He hasn't been over extended and should be still fresh-ish. I don't disagree that it's a big risk throwing him on short rest. But I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at them today and survive for game 7. We'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I get it. But was Roberts right in using Urias in relief in NLCS game 2? Scherzer in game 5 of the NLDS? I think with hindsight, the Dodgers might regret their choices. The Urquidy decision worked out if Garcia's got good stuff tonight. If he doesn't, then it's a what if we may debate long afterwards.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Unless they burn him today, they should have Urquidy in game 7 with extra rest... he will have pitched that clean inning in game 5, but will have not pitched otherwise since game 2 ..... and Urquidy is someone that really does better when rested.

ramotadab and Htown Legend like this.
  14. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

Is it 7PM yet............................

Tfor3 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

No, how the Dodgers handled their pitching situation was malpractice.

Scherzer had a dead arm against the Astros in 2019 as well and it just loosened up in pre game warm ups against the Astros.... the Dodgers were on notice and Scherzer is like 37 years old. As for Urias, I know he had a history of pitching in relief and was young..... but he struggled against the Braves and actually cost them multiple games. We will never know if the odd schedule for him caused the struggles, but it seems reasonable.

Then again I don't think the Astros lose the 2019 WS if the Astros didn't ride Cole/Verlander without a planned rest down the stretch of the season and then let Verlander pitch on 3 days rest.... again, an older pitcher on short rest.

I trust Strom on this.... and contrary to what think, there is no way this is Baker's call to start Garcia in game 6, that was Click and Strom.

joshuaao, Houstunna, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  16. jayfree

jayfree Member

2019- Astros won 3 straight vs Yankees
    2019- Astros won 3 straight vs Nationals
    2020- Astros won 3 straight vs Rays
    2021- Astros won 3 straight vs Boston

The Astros can win 3 straight vs Braves. Let's GO!

#8236 jayfree, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Didn't they also win 3 straight vs the Yankees in the 2019 ALCS?

BigMaloe, Nick_713 and Tuckankhamun like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Agree with this - but I actually think this makes it worse. If Garcia was an ace of some sort that they thought they really needed today, I could sort of see it. But outside of the one game vs Boston, Garcia has been somewhere between bad and awful the last month. And now we add short-rest to the mix? It just seems like an odd and unnecessary move when you have a fully rested Odorizzi who's pitched outstanding when called upon in these playoffs. Hopefully I'm wrong and Garcia throws 3-4 lights out innings.

ramotadab likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

it sure does

BigMaloe, Tfor3 and the shark like this.