1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you’ll see past your bias and see that he’s had some pretty good plays.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s funny you dudes want to take out a rookie with potential for a career back up with a noodle arm, and claim because he lit up the worst team in the league that the offense works with him.
    Goalposts are moved for freaking Tyrod Taylor? But not a rookie with potential?

Weird people.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Rookie has some potential 2 b another savage, Yates and hoyer. Not worth the time play Taylor, draft another rookie qb. If mills manages to win back the starting spot next off season we give him another shot.

Currently he is no where ready for us 2 commit another season. Tyrod has experience, mills already got his opportunity and he fking blows majority of the time. Mills Doesn't deserve to start even if our team is sht.
    Not gonna learn anything except get ptsd.

JamesC, mario_v and Fulgore like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Says you. Someone that thinks Tyrod Taylor should get starts.
    Mills is in every way a better prospect, you see what he can do so you know at the end of the season. He’s flashed enough against some of the best teams in the league. But you idiots want to crown Tyrod for lighting up Jags

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Personally I’ve seen enough of Mills. I'd start Taylor just to keep morale up in the locker room.

B-Bob, Fulgore and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Mills’ range is anywhere from a mid level backup (AJ McCarron) to a mid to lower level starter (Goff, Dalton). The one good thing about being this bad is there is no hurry to find a franchise QB. They can draft best player available next couple of drafts and then draft or trade for their guy.

But yes I believe Mills will be in the league in 5 years.

7. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

MIlls won't do enough to prove he is a franchise QB. Maybe we don't draft a QB in first round because the class is not very good. But it's not because Mills is great.
    He might have a better ceiling, but he is not a better QC than Tyrod this season. There are plenty of players need to be evaluated. They need a viable QB for a few games.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this completely. I’m just saying I’m not going to write Mills off after 6-7 games against some of the best teams/defenses in football.
    These dudes haven’t given him a shot since he was drafted. No matter how many flash plays he has. They don’t want him to be good.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The schedule is about to get easier

10. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

You actually ok with this subpar mediocre garbage of a QB? No wonder why the mcnairs make hand over fist and annually increase season ticket prices lmao yall narrow minded fans don't care one bit as long as they have players that look like you at the important positions yall will swallow it all down and find positives in trash. Disgusting.

Fulgore likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look like me? Lol

Shut up with your racist ass.
    Your black power propaganda schtick on here is old.
    If Mills was black you would be supporting him harder than anyone you clown

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There were some positives, but yes, against backups, and a called soft defense. It's hard to say how much the positives actually translate...

3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Jags are quite better than us if we have Mills. Maybe we'll get to see that later in the year. It'll be the game I look forward most to, actually. Two rookies dueling.

Tyrod had us going toe to toe with the Browns, as well. A team some people picked for the Super Bowl. Now, not so much, but being as good as the Cleveland Browns with this team would be a huge plus for us. (Except for in the draft)

I'm only saying that to highlight that you're underplaying Tyrod here, while probably slightly overplaying Mills a bit.

I don't know what the correct answer is with this team at the moment. You don't want to the entire team to quit. Because of that, do you start Tyrod? You also don't want to lose too much draft position, either, complicating things. I think this team is a 6 game winner, easy, with Tyrod, which says something about him. He's vastly underrated, due to injuries.

My biggest worry with Mills is that he'll be "good enough" to some and "not Watson" to others, and it will put us in an endless rebuild.

We know Culley isn't the coach of the future. He's not been great. He's a leader of men, but doesn't seem to be an X's and O's type of coach. Ironically, this isn't dissimilar to O'Brien. And that works for a couple seasons at most if you're not winning.

I still am of the opinion that Mills will have a career at about the level of a Case Keenum. Career backup that may end up starting a random game or two or three if his starter gets hurt.

I'd like to see him develop into more than that. He's got some potential. I just don't think he should be starting games for the next two years or he'll get ruined.

#473 Two Sandwiches, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Honestly so far he is no better or worse than any of the first rounder of 2021. Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields and Lance have all had their ups and downs so far. With the exception of Jones all the other rookies are at the bottom as far as rating and qbr goes.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Continually thrusting Mills out there is simultaneously damaging to young receivers because how can you accurately assess? Its why Mills should sit and allow a better QB to play so that the other positional groups get a fair chance at sticking around or not. Otherwise it will be another excuse train down the road in that "Player X should/should not be here because he didnt have a competent QB to begin with"

Shut down the Mills experiment ASAP and regroup for 2022.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Verbal Christ the hypocrite.

Should shut down Green and let the better player in Gordon start. His lack of ability is detrimental to the growth of the other young players that have shown more ability.

17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Mills has started 85% of games that we have had. And we are 44% through with the regular season.

In the NBA, Green has started 100% of the games we've had but we're only 7% through with the regular season.

Basically Mills has had 5-6x more opportunity as Green. Thanks!

Fulgore likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Same amount of games. In a much worse situation for Mills

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Oh wow.

I guess, Knicks are guaranteed to finish top and Clippers on of the bottom. Same number of games.

If the Lions win the rest of their games they got 9-8. If the Pistons win the rest of their games they go 77-5. But yes same number of games!

Fulgore likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Your argument isn’t exactly helping you. Yes, there are more games in NBA season to evaluate. Which makes the NFL games more important to get an actual evaluation. There’s no way to do it 6 games. And even still, Mills has flashed way more than Green in short sample size, and far less enviable circumstances.