1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are so lucky to have Jalen Green on this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 31, 2021.

1. vince

vince Member

The speed is pretty amazing at the NBA level. I think that is what separates the G league from the NBA. Guys in the G league are there because they have good fundamentals, but it is nowhere near the gazelle like speed of the NBA.

When the mind catches up to the NBA speed for Green, we can make a better assessment of where he is. Right now, he’s in a track meet, and he lagging behind.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Not to be that guy but, draft #2 rookie salary is not too shabby. From highest to lowest.

Wall - 44.3
    Ego - 18.2
    Wood - 13.6
    Green - 8.9
    Theis - 8.2
    KPJ 1.7 mil
    -------

8 mil is not terrible, but given Wall is not playing the rook is third highest paid on the court.

Can't let old man lebron beat you to the basket on defense when you had a head start.

Teams are targeting him on D, it's an issue. Rest of team may not always be able to hide him.

#42 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    NewAge likes this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

A smart player would have made a easy pass to the corner. But Green tunnels when he drives.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I know another player that played here for 8 years who we were lucky to have, but people wanted to hate him instead

enjoy what u got now, it won’t be getting better any time soon

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

There is a valid argument to be made that Carmelo Anthony is the NBA's worst defender. And he just rejected Jalen Green's drive with authority. Concerning.

amaru, CXbby, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We are,

could have ended up with a pick in the teens but landed the second pick.

I have complete faith that by December, Green is going to calm down, settle into his role and begin to put on nightly performances that extinguish all of this doom and gloom from the normal offenders.

xaos and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m never going to give up on a young player this quickly. He has talent, the question is can he become a good ball player.

xaos and NewAge like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, I remember that... This time we did draft the baby Jordan, hopefully he'll have a better career than Harold Miner...

BigggReddd and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Most fans/people are reactionary these days.

I do think he's going to have a longer development curve than Mobley/Barnes etc, but that's okay. It might mean an inefficient first 2 years or so, but he clearly has a lot of the necessary tools to be a great offensive player in the future. He's quick, explosive, with range and skills in his toolkit. Right now he's just way too thin to finish consistently in the halfcourt (and/or through contact), and his frame even hurts his 3-ball, because he doesn't shoot well off-balance, which he often is when he's creating shots off the dribble. His handle is solid but obviously still developing -- I'm not too worried about that.

He's been pressing the last few games because he's in a slump, but I think his play will improve as he adjusts to the speed of the game. That said, if you're expecting a star ASAP, you're probably going to be disappointed. But he'll show flashes, like he did vs Boston.

Green's also at a disadvantage from not playing with a PG. I actually think Wall would've been good for his development, in retrospect.

amaru and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell that to Luka, or to Sengun.

DD

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We're very lucky. He's teaching us why you don't draft raw athletes and just hope they can learn how to play the game one day with picks that valuable.

Hopefully we do a better job with our top pick in the next draft and one of these days Green becomes a quality player.

amaru likes this.
  12. DaDakota

This is nuts, tons of us wanted Mobley - what "IT" factor are you talking about? I don't see him with anything other than a "Happy to be here" look....don't see him as super competitive at all.

I hope it is just confidence etc....but frankly with a NUMBER 2 PICK - I expected a lot more right away, not a guy that looks like he should be in the Gleague learning fundamentals of basketball.

He is a LONG LONG way off, and if it takes until his rookie deal is up, that he becomes a good player, than this was a MAJOR mistake on Stone's part.

Number 2 picks are not supposed to be 2+ years away.

DD

NewAge likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

More pining for Mobley? JFC. This is beyond annoying. After 6 games? Downright ridiculous to be making concrete statements for one guy over the other.

34to11 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine Blazers fans did the same thing when they picked wrong at #2 in the 1984 draft as well.

15. DaDakota

Mobley to some of us was the obvious pick, you know the ones that don't get all excited because someone can dunk, but look at things like, can he run the PnR, does he play good positional defense, does he have a unique advantage? (To be fair Green's is speed, Mobley's is skill at this size) Speed is great, but skill is better....take Skill 100 out of 100 times.

No one HATES Green, I am personally disappointed he is just not more NBA ready, the guy is too soft, too weak, has no change of speed, a major hitch in his shot, and NBA vets are eating his lunch.

He had 1 hot game - which was a nice glimpse at what he might become, but even Corey Brewer had a hot game.

Green is the number 2 pick you should get a starter at that point, I will say it again, Green needs a GOOD DOSE OF PINE, put him on the bench, start EGo, let Green learn.....because Green and KPj learning at the same time, is a turnover problem - let them learn by playing them with a couple of vets then ease them into starting.....

Green is the furthest away and needs the most work....hell Sengun is more ready than Green by a long shot.....

We will still lose, but at least the guys will get more shots up, and learn the NBA game faster than running back trying to stop the other team's fast break.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4437244/jalen-green

DD

#55 DaDakota, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Talk about hyperbole. There are infinitely worse defenders than Melo, you can find them in the box score under "DNP."

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Zach Lavine after 6 starts as a rookie:
    38%/17%/69% shooting line; 9.8ppg, 3.67 apg, 4 rpg, 3 TOpg

Bradley Beal:
    29%/34%/94% shooting line; 12.2ppg, 1.8apg, 3.5rpg, 1.8TOpg

Anthony Edwards (first 6 starts after coming off the bench 17 games):
    42%/38%/83% shooting line; 15.7ppg, 3.33apg, 4.7rpg, .5TOpg

18. DaDakota

Which is why I have been SCREAMING that Green should not be starting and should be coming off the bench....

DD

RocketOrg likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

exactly and known of those guys are even in the league now (sarcasm)

This is why if you venture over to the D&D section of the forum learn what you can from having a conversation. Otherwise, take a lot of it for what is blustering and hyperbole. Some of those very same posters are in this thread already calling it a wrap. It goes without saying that they are really really really f*cking stupid and just enjoy hearing themselves bloviate and argue their opinions on the daily.

If you read this you know who you(s) are. idiots

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

He's 19, give the kid some time to go through his growing pains. Both physically and NBA wise.