1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oakland Relocation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Jul 22, 2021.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Bloomberg Business Week recently ranked El Paso number 10 in “Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies”.
    More than 75 of the fortune 500 companies have a presence in El Paso or Juarez.
    Baseball enthusiasm is far far better than in Anaheim.

msn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

That makes me think we should delete 5 Eastern franchises and add 5 Western.

3. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for the facts.

It's not going to happen, ever.

4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

You are probably right but not because it wouldn't work. While poking around I found this juxtaposition in unrelated articles, El Paso is the safest city in North America & Juarez is the most dangerous.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What happens in Juarez, stays in Juarez

Nook, SWTsig and Stephen66 like this.
  6. Orangecru$h

Orangecru$h Member

We don't want to be in the same division (or even league) as other Texas teams. That is boring. Cowboys and Texans are not in the same division or league. I'd rather root for the Rangers in a different league.

Being in the same league as the MLB elite (Yankees, Red Sox) gives us great national exposure, and has contributed to our rise...

7. Buck Turgidson

Yep, the cartels have a code.

Also curious, @BlindHog, what's the cable/satellite potential viewership across the border? # of households and such that would be actual/potential viewers for whatever potential sports networks they'd have?

8. msn

msn Member

Agreed with your post. Just wondering if you remember the saveourrockets.com movement, who spearheaded it, and which fledgling-but-already-awesome fansite was connected with it?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course. I don’t think Jeff is here anymore though.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The powers that be in Houston (political and business leaders) basically told Bettencourt to shut up if he wanted a political future in the Houston area. They told him he didn't have to support the revised package that was being put on the ballot, but do not ACTIVELY go against it. I think he just said it was "better" than the first proposal. Bettencourt is now ruining the future of Texas as a state senator.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Holy ****. Rumor I’m hearing is that the A’s want to buy the Tropicana, tear it down, and build their ballpark right there on the strip. That would be about the ballsiest thing ever. Talk about a premier location.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

That would be AMAZING. Reminiscent of the historical showmanship displayed by the Athletics' former owner Charlie Finley.

Nook and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It would be incredible. I can’t see it actually happening, but they’re playing for keeps if they pull that off.

juicystream likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hank McDowell likes this.
  15. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Considering that Stern and his pack of devils helped move Seattle to OKC, I'm 100% certain the Rockets would be in Kentucky if Toyota Center wasn't built. You said it best, media markets matter way more, but back then it was a game to see how much taxpayer money you could squeeze out of a city.

tinman likes this.
  16. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Cartel assassins are way more cautious when their targets are armed.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You sir are pure

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hard to imagine that actually happening. Why pay the extra cost to be on the Strip and potential security issues with so much foot traffic, when you could build close by and it not really make a difference attendance wise.

19. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Imagine being an Oakland fan, watching the perennial cheapskates of the league leave and spend billions to go to Vegas, and become top spenders every year.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

That ownership group has never really shown a willingness to spend, so I’m guessing they’d just pocket any extra cash. If they build on the Tropicana though I think attendance will be off the charts.