1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude was already bully balling grown men at 19. Crazy how much of a freak he was coming out of highschool.

bmelo, marky :), NewAge and 1 other person like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Good post ....

During the summer league & early part of preseason he was terrible in the pick and roll and I voiced much the same concern. Wondering if he was destined to play mostly off the ball.

He's improved by leaps and bounds in that aspect in a few short weeks .... I want to see him initiate the offense more often , particularly pick and roll situations with Theis and Wood.

He's also gotten others a lot of open looks because of his aggression both on and off the ball .... I want to see him play with Wood & Sengun. Don't believe we've seen that lineup in the first 3 games.

My expectations haven't really changed at all , I'll be content with 16ppg with 3-4 assists. What matters more than the actual scoring numbers is the shooting metrics and limiting turnovers.

His defense doesn't concern me much either - he hasn't been good but the effort is there. He'll improve.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think he can average 20 points a game but he needs to be aggressive all the time and a little selfish. If he is not hitting from the outside he can go to the basket easy. Also, help out Porter he needs to bring the ball down the court half the time and the other half leave the ball in Porter or Sengun's hands. Sengun is a nice Point Forward for our team.

DreamR and CVcrew like this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I want see Jalen Green take the league by storm.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We all do.

DD

csc177 likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Can you stop eating? If you're going to hold a 19 year old kid to a high standard I'd expect you to not be a fat slob.

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

???

8. csc177

csc177 Member

I think Jalen finally got a taste after the early career high. I knew he'd snap out of the early 9pt shooting nights. He actually looks more comfortable with the ball in his hands vs playing off ball - when he's a playmaker, some of his passes are simply ELITE....and I think the more he sees his shot fall the more effective he'll be at the off ball spot.

Reports have said that Jalen was a "dog", a gym rat, and a "competitor".... we shall see as the season progresses. I get the sense he might not mind losing (as long as he gets his numbers and is in the ROY talks)....that's fine because we're going to do a lot of losing this year and next.

....excited to see how this all plays out.

xaos and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. King1

DD is fat

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That over the shoulder pass to Theis on the pick and roll was pretty to watch. I want him and Sengunt spamming pick and rolls along with KPJ.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

be as it may, was that a quality post in your view?
    BTW, Daryl Morey is fat, too… :)

12. King1

Yes. There's a huge (no pun intended) difference between an elite gm and an obese dork on the internet who is always wrong. He feels the need to criticize a 19 year old kid in Green, I'll criticize a fat old loser

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My expectation is that he a erages close to 20 point and low 40s shooting percentage. His scoring and shooting percentage will go up as he gets used to the league.

The only negative I see about him is that he avoids contact like Tracy. Hopefully he isn't as soft and doesn't become a chucker

14. i3artow i3aller

Light the fuse!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surfguy, DreamR and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice highlight package for game 3:

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

16pts/3-4ast, 3-4reb game I think is reasonable. It's a bit different for Green than other young prospects - dude is super flashy and super young and the vets want to shut him down just like they did to young Kobe. He's not able to fly under the radar like let's say a Scottie Barnes doing the "awww shucks" routine. We have already seen it - vets putting in a little extra effort to put Green in his place. I'm cool with that - vets hating on Kobe was ironically the thing that made him one of the best. Dude just needs to clean up some edges around the consistency in his shot and get a few more fundamentals down and he will be a solid 20+pt/5ast guy on decent efficiency in a year or two. As others have mentioned - he already looks like he has improved significantly since Summer League presumably due to his strong work ethic. People have to realize this is just the beginning for him. I'm not ready to compare him to the GOAT as a player just yet, but after watching some early Jordan the other day - his frame and athleticism at his age is definitely very Jordan-esque which is to say his physical package is built to dominate - it's just going to take a little time for him to be able to put the muscle on because he is much younger than Jordan was entering the league.

xaos likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Utah is a really tough matchup for young kids who are still learning the ropes......none of our youngsters looked good.

Jalen is going to have good games, and bad games, the key to being an NBA player is consistency - both him and KPj are striving to find that......Sengun too......

Most of these guys as I said in the game thread, would not be playing on a playoff team or would be end of the rotation guys......they just need to learn how to succeed playing the NBA game - both individually and together - it is a long marathon folks.

Gonna be a bumpy ride.......but that is why we are fans....

DD

csc177, Corrosion and xaos like this.
  19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

FIFY, definitely didn't need the highschool qualifier. At every age I've seen him play Lebron has been freakishly gifted. I remember seeing him on the Cavs jumping to catch a wild pass way back against maybe Portland and he looked like he could've rested his chin on the rim, at that size/weight? I'm not sure we'll ever see the like again tbh.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. DreamR

DreamR Member

That's what I like to see.

He's going to have many bad shooting nights.

How does he respond?