1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket's timeline....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought it was Ibakas contract that hamstrung the Thunder.

NewAge likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If Porter can progress and not turning the ball over, he should be fine. His shooting has improved, he has nice feet and nice handles. I would like to see Garuda at SF. Having a 6’6 PG(Porter), 6’6 SG(Green), 6’8 SF(Garuda), 6’10 PF(Wood) and Sengun and another player close to 6’10….that is our starting 5 with great defense and crazy athletics!!!!!!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, Wood will accelerate the growth of this team, and at only 25, he fits in with the timeline, not everyone needs to be EXACTLY the same age.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will be middle of the pack rebuilding team, got to vie for attention with other rebuilding teams.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agree with the gist of this. I think the rebuild is complete vis a vis the 2 and the 5. Green/Christopher and Sengun/Garuba are a good bet to hold down the 2 and the 5 for better part of the next decade. Obviously this season will provide additional information to that end but I feel like that is a pretty safe bet. That the leaves the 1, 3, & 4 to figure out.

Point Guard
    I think the development of KPJ is probably my main focus for this season. Is he a 2 who can distribute a little, a combo guard or can he play he point full time? Some of what has happened already has shaken my confidence in him as a long term point guard but I think that is his best role on this team. His defense makes him even more of a problem at other positions (where he doesnt have such a size/strength/length advantage) and I am not sure how he would be coming off the bench exclusively. At this point I am definitely interested in point guards or point forwards in the 2022 draft to take some of the playmaking pressure off of KPJ or to provide the team with an alternative if the experiment fails.

Small Forward
    I am tempted to say that Tate and Martin hold down this spot. I like both guys moving forward as combo forwards who play more on the wing. But I think in a perfect world Tate plays some minutes at the 2 behind Green (maybe Christopher fills the backup point guard role?) and Martin is a super sub, 3&D guy.

Power Forward
    This is where the Wood situation has to be figured out. I'm not in a rush to trade Christian but I am hesitant to invest a max contract in him right now. If the Rockets are similarly hesitant of if great value is offerred from a contender then I would think Wood might be gone. That makes Power forward a glaring hole in the rebuild as I really prefer both Sengun and Garuba at center.

Right now (until we have more information after a larger sample of games) I think the Rockets need to look at adding a 4 (or 3/4 really) and a 1 next offseason. I personally am all over AJ Griffin if his medicals aren't too worrisome. I think he would fit perfectly at the 3 with the ability to play some 4 (he is about the same size as Crowder). I love Kennedy Chandler as a backup point guard if he were there at Miami's pick but I think he'll likely be gone. All in all, I think this might be the final year where the Rockets are more interested in draft position than playoff position so they need to draft well (again).

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

That’s 100% false. Hawks can absolutely pay Reddish….he still has 2 years left on his rookie contact.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I think we are in agreement. In today's no position basketball guys get move everywhere.

For the sake of argument, I have players slotted
    where best suited imo. KMj and Tate for example.
    Players like Patrick Baldwin, A.J Griffin, Bancheros, Chet, Peyton Watson will play 3, 4
    and maybe 5.

I would have gotten Duarte, Scottie Lewis or
    Hyland Bones instead of Josh Christopher.
    I'm still watching to see if JC can hit 3's.

But yes the team core is set, buy yet subject
    to change. JC, Tate, KMj, Garuba may be
    traded at any point.

I just don't get the hurry up and trade Wood thing.
    We have a million draft picks....is the rush to
    say we have a billion draft picks important?
    Puff up the chest greater?

I mean, I'm not hearing any comments about Wood wanting out of Houston immediately. From what I'm
    hearing he likes being a Rocket and likes Silas.

#87 ApacheWarrior, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  8. thekad

thekad Member

Nah, Green isn’t going to be an all-star caliber player any time soon, if ever. Trade Wood and tank these next two seasons.

amaru likes this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d say they need all of this year just to sort out the roster situation and maybe, big maybe, but maybe next year to get coached up. If Silas can do that. If he can’t, then another year for a new staff and system, and we are maybe two-three years away from being decent again.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just them, it's Minn, it's Orl, it's several others too. Just think, Orlando hasn't been good since Shaq. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THAT'S BEEN?

Tanking yr in and yr out is not smart. You have a roster full of young players who never develop because they are constantly losing.

Now that the Rockets have some good young pieces, the SMART THING would be to add pieces and help them win so that they can develop

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wrong.
    Magics went to playoffs 5 times the past 10 years. They won't tank correctly hence they look like sht always trying to force itself into a win now mode and failing
    Minn been drafting sht for years look at their 1st round picks, most notable ones are Edward's and town/lavine.

This is only year 2 of tanking u don't force a win now, cause our team isn't even good enough to win it all.
    Forcing it ruins the whole point of tanking if we r good it will happen naturally, if not keep drafting until we find a franchise altering player.

tycoonchip and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Imagine getting sht on by 30ish points by a real playoff team and there is still some folks doubling down with the mindset that we should force our team to win now instead of tanking.

Anti tank folks r 2 funny.

amaru likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Per Woj, they are looking to trade him BECAUSE he wants to get paid and his contract is due.

If you have a problem with it.... take it up with Woj

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So on one hand you're saying a team should tank better and on the other hand, you're saying a team who tanked should draft better....HMMMM

First of all, the first thing any GM will tell you is the draft is a GAMBLE. There has been numerous amount of Top 5 picks who have been bust and when you count on that player and they don't workout, you've wasted 3 to 4 yrs on a Rookie and you have to start all over. I.e, Minny, Orlando, Atl for many yrs and Sac are teams that take so long to rebuild.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Keep tanking until u find a superstar rookie it's not that hard of a concept.
    U rush tanks u end up no where with rookies that can't be built around and bloated contacts.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

How long do you estimate a good tank will take?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

there really is no set timeline when it comes to tanking or being bad…it depends entirely on your front office and how good or bad they are as well as draft luck

Rockets could be horrible for awhile

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How long a rebuild takes depends on hitting on your draft picks and/or landing players in trades.

Right now, the Rockets still have quite a way to go

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Could b a year or years. U have to hit at least one superstar b4 doing anything that or u trade all the okay assets u gather up and trade for a superstar and hopefully someone is dumb enough to bitem

20. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

It’s false bc his contract isn’t due. He has 2 years left on his rookie contract before he comes a RFA and hawks can match any offer worst case.