1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. vince

vince Member

Lol…. Yet again you might be onto something….

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All part of the plan

-J.B. Bickerstaff

i3artow i3aller and J Sizzle like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Stones gonna wake up screaming in the middle of the night once it hits him

And he might never stop

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rookie ranks

Time of possession per game
    1: Suggs : 4.6 minutes
    2: Duarte : 3.1
    3: Barnes : 3.1
    4: Mitchell : 3.0
    5: Green : 2.8
    12: Sengun : 1.0

Touches per game
    1: Suggs : 68.4
    2: Barnes : 64.0
    3: Duarte : 63.2
    4: Giddey : 57.4
    5: Mobley : 55.0
    6: Mitchell : 43.5
    6: Green : 43.5
    9: Sengun : 27.8

FGA per game
    1: Duarte : 16.6
    2: Green : 14.8
    3: Barnes : 13.4
    4: Suggs : 12.6
    5: Wagner : 10.4
    6: Mobley : 10.0
    11: Sengun : 4.5

D-rock, clos4life and i3artow i3aller like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Mobley is a beast defensively.

He CLEARLY should have been the pick!!! :eyeroll

I love watching Mobley play.

I have zero regrets on Green over Mobley. If both reach their peak, we know which one is more valuable. If Mobley reaches his peak and Green doesn't, its a miss, but the right miss.

Much time still to see.

Also, as a related aside, Green looks much better as a ballhandler potential PG type than I expected. Not saying he's a PG... just that there's a future where he might run point for half a quarter or whatever.

D-rock, xaos and clos4life like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

They both look really good (as does Scottie and Giddey) and either is a great pick. Green looks like a generational scorer and Mobley looks like a generational defensive presence. They've both done the same thing. Flashes but still rooks.

xaos likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This simply has no basis in facts, Mobley and Sengun could play together and would be a dynamic young frontcourt.

D-rock, Milos and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The need?

We need to compile as much talent as possible.

Why did Cleveland draft him when they had several bigs locked in?

D-rock likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A Board full of ‘has no basis in facts’ and you are attesting to (this) one as if it were.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Several? Who was locked in on Draft day?

And using the Cadavers as a jumping off point with their history? Yeah, they won. One. Hat tipped to their #6 nee #23. And without him what, three consecutive #1 picks? And deep p/I runs uh, nub-nce.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF is this?

Just gibberish.

Do you want to tell everybody how we don't need to stockpiling as much talent as possible and why Sengun can't play with Mobley?

D-rock likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But why though? This is what people kept saying at the start, that an all-star guard is more valuable than an all-star big...even after an all-star big just led his team to a championship. Size still matters in the NBA.

Often the best players are bigger guys with skill. That's throughout history too. Jordan might be the only exception of consistently being the best player in the NBA as a guard and he was still a pretty big guard at that.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hard to decide whether it's him or the refs? He literally got slapped square in the face and didn't get the call...

slothy420 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. jogo

jogo Member

Well, that play was a missed call. What about all of his other drives?

D-rock likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nobody would be able to match the amount of pure NECK we could put on court at once with Alpy/Evan.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Jerry Krause wouldn't have drafted either one.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1999/07/12/inside-the-nba

SamFisher and rfrocket like this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

After your compelling argument using the Cleavesburgers as blueprint.

18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I started out as a (slightly) Mobley guy pre-draft but this just isn't true.
    Watch the game highlights from last night.
    1st minute of the game Mobley had a great putback dunk off of a teammates miss.
    After that pretty much zero.
    Had a wide open dunk off a pass when his man went to switch/double team someone else.
    Even with that gimme the game is over is the final seconds and he is sitting at 2-9 from the field, which is ACTUALLY WORSE %-wise than Jalen's 4-16 the previous night.
    Only another bunny in the last couple of seconds of the game where the other team is scrambling to foul and his man again leaves him wide open alone under the basket for a dunk got him to 3-10 fga.

Look, Mobley's playing well overall it seems early on.
    But it's not all peaches and cream just yet.

One of my concerns with Mobley pre-draft (in addition to his demeanor) was that I just wasn't sure if he would actually be able to add on much more significant weight as he gets older (but the same can be said for JG).

But whether or not he can he will always have value as a weak-side shot blocker/intimidator thanks to his length and agility.
    Henceforth his "high floor".
    If he doesn't have to play the 5 much this helps him greatly!

Look Jalen has shown me some deficiencies that could be troublesome but also some pleasant suprises as well.
    It's waaay too early to call it one way or the other.
    Or even state a definite trend.

Let's give it 20-25 games before even stating trend lines.
    I mean we didn't even have (much of) a preseason with a roster full of 19 year olds whose coach plays Guy Lewis offense (just roll out the ball)!
    Wait, that's waaay too much credit, if we had a Guy Lewis offense NO ONE would be able to press us!

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is not what I personally believe but maybe the thought process is that, in recent years (let's say in the past decade), unless you have a clear cut big that should go #1 the more reasonable drafting strategy is to pick a guard because the chances of a big picked in the top 10 has a higher chance to be a bust. Now what you're saying I'm on board with--if you have talented size you can win--but the past two championships were led by either a can't-miss #1 prospect (AD) or a sizable outlier who was drafted at the end of the lottery based on pure potential alone (Giannis).

Number of bigs (PF/C) drafted in the Top 10 and the number of All-Stars and/or All-NBA players from that group:

2011: 6; 0 All-Stars and/or All-NBA
    2012: 4; 2 (Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond)
    2013: 4; 0
    2014: 5; 2 (Joel Embiid and Julius Randle)
    2015: 5; 2 (KAT and Porzingis)
    2016: 4; 0
    2017: 3; 0
    2018: 5; 0
    2019: 3; 1 (Zion)

Out of 39 bigs (PF/C) in the span of 9 seasons, there's been only 7 from that group that has at least one All-Star selection and/or All-NBA designation. If you remove the players that were drafted 1st overall (AD, KAT and Zion) that list shrinks down to 4. So, based on a 9 year window, the odds of you landing an All-Star/All-NBA PF/C with a top 10 selection is 4/36 or 11%

Now what about guards? Same exercise using the same drafts and including only PGs and SGs

2011: 4; 2 (Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker)
    2012: 5; 2 (Bradley Beal and Damian Lillard)
    2013: 5; 1 (Victor Oladipo)
    2014: 4; 0
    2015: 3; 1 (D'Angelo Russell)
    2016: 5; 2 (Ben Simmons and Jaylen Brown)
    2017: 5; 0
    2018: 4; 2 (Luka and Trae Young)
    2019: 3; 0

So that's 38 picks with 10 turning into All-Stars and/or All-NBA selections. It's also worth mentioning that you have players like CJ McCollum, Ja Morant, DeAaron Fox, Darius Garland, Colin Sexton, etc that haven't made either "All-" selections yet who turned out to be pretty good players but that would be cheating to include them. So 38 picks with 10 All-NBA/All-Stars. Removing the 2 1st picks (Kyrie and Ben) we're left with 8/36 for a percentage of 22%, doubling that of what we saw for bigs.

Of course I'm not saying Mobley ONLY has an 11% chance of becoming an all-star or that Green's chances doubles Evan's but maybe, possibly, this is why GMs are going for wings vs bigs if they don't have a legit, clear cut #1 to choose.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

?