1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket's timeline....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The other problem with this silly concept of timeline is what happens when only 1 of your guys works out? As an example, what if everybody from this draft busts for us except Sengun in 3 years? Do we then trade Sengun because he won't fit our timeline with the kids we draft then? The best teams don't tank over and over, the worst ones do. The best teams have a steady cycle of developing players and trading for established talent so that there's always talent on the team. People here are way too obsessed with tearing everything down to step one at every level of the team so everybody's synched up age wise and it's daft.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Right, but OKC would have had Harden instead of Perkins had they picked right.

i3artow i3aller and Williamson like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

OKC needed a center at the time and Perkins was experienced. Wrong move but it made sense

4. dmoneybangbang

The timeline is based around the consequences of the WB trade and the picks we owe OKC. It's in our interest to bottom out/rebuild/tank this season and next while we keep our draft picks.

Any path is a gamble, we could be stuck in mediocrity if we compete too soon. We could strike out on our draft picks as well.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nothing is a worse path than the cycle of tanking. That's why the majority of the worse teams in the NBA are there for decades and more.

#45 Dobbizzle, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  6. dmoneybangbang

It's not black and white. You can ignore the consequences of the WB trade if you want.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And you can carry on the fantasy that building through draft pics ad infinitum is the path to success in the NBA if you want.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This! I never understood tanking multiple year in a row. Last yr was unfortunate and it played out well. Now, win and keep trying to win.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My vision of the timeline is pretty similar ....

21-22 - we suck
    22-23 another early lotto pick & last years draft class growing up - might make the play in ?
    23-24 Wall is expired , we have cap space to spend on a star to add to what we've built and jump to the head of the class.
    24-25 Contenders for the next several years.

Most of that depends upon the development of KPJ as well as current and near future draft picks.
    KPJ may be the biggest questionmark of all - is he a starting caliber point guard or a 6th man ?

Wood is already playing well , well enough that he could be a critical piece to a real contender. The pieces around him need to improve greatly.

The idea of trading Wood because he doesn't fit the timeline is just silly to me. He's playing great 29 other teams would love to have a player putting up 21 & 12 on 45.5% from 3, its the pieces around him that need to improve.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

This is a red herring. Cash in Green and picks.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's actually the most ridiculous part of this whole timeline argument. Wood is the player we actually know is good enough already, and people want to get rid of him because he's a little bit older than players who might not even pan out.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm thinking last year was hitting rock bottom - we got that out of the way and its all upwards and onwards from here.

Tho we may see EG , Augustin & House moved .... it probably doesn't affect the win total much & they should be better than .236.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Clutch Fans home of terrible random trade ideas .... Some of these guys would trade prime MJ for mystery box #21.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Miami Heat should have tanked instead of signing three stars. They would have won more than two championships.

15. Milos

Milos Member

Would you pass if GS offered you this?

Wood + House

for

Wiseman + Moody + 1 FFRP
    (basically what Magic got for Vucevic last year)

I would not

Especially if a Wood deal got us to the 'critical mass' of draft capital to somehow net us 2 (imo) real core Bigs:
    Paulo in 22
    Victor in 23

I'd give up Wood for this 2024 lineup:
    Wenbanyamma / Wiseman
    Sengun / Garuba
    Banchero / Tate
    Green / Moody
    KPJ / Christopher

16. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I think we're on the right track but it's still way too early to tell. We'll need to help the young players develop, make smart roster moves, and hopefully get real lucky with draft. I'm here for the journey hehe

sydmill and Corrosion like this.
  17. theDude

Supporting Member

The Lakers didn’t draft Kobe or Shaq.

Build your team any way you can. Just be smart. Take advantage of other teams’ desperation.

18. dmoneybangbang

That's fair. I just count this year since it's the first full season without Harden.

19. dmoneybangbang

Sometimes high draft picks end up being trade chips. Nothing set in stone regarding Green or next year's pick, they could be packaged.

theDude likes this.
  20. theDude

Supporting Member

This idea that you have to keep drafting and make no other moves is insane. Improve the team when opportunities present themselves.

Corrosion likes this.