1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 10/26/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2021.

1. DreamR

DreamR Member

When Green is making jump shots he looks so good, but when he's missing a lot of them he starts to look like a chucker.

He can get separation any time he wants but he needs to be at least a little more consistent with his shooting.

You never know what you're gonna get from him.

D-rock, Dobbizzle, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

DJ is dead to me. When Sengun drew his first offensive foul (I think it was) Nwaba came over to help him up, and DJ runs over..... then proceeds to stand next to Sengun, looking at the ball hanging on the backboard ignoring Sengun with his arm out waiting to be helped up.

Going to be a very rough decade for Rockets fans watching him get better and better.
    Wonder how many times he has to pull a T-Mac Toronto Game for coach to yank his ass. He is pathetic. I'd move his locker out into the parking lot next to the dumpsters, and have some buttered bread ready to dip into that soup.
    Fool me once shame on me... fool me twice (same exact comment but replace with Sengun) shame on you.

Dude isn't cut out to be a coach of a rebuilding team.
    Yeah the reason I didn't want Wall on the court is because I wanted the rookies to get touches frequently.

It's only taken 4 games for me to put KPJ into the same class as Wall. Get him away from the young'ens ASAP so their growth isn't stunted and we're losing for no reason.

Sengun says hi.

He also says GTFO huehue!!!!
    I don't need much more repetition of these 7 turnovers per game, games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Box of chocolate.

D-rock likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Didn’t watch but very positive about being up after the 1st half and being able to go toe-to-toe with the Mavs. Once we really start to gel, we will win some of these games. People are way too negative about a rebuilding team.

thedude077, ak99999 and 18pbr like this.
  5. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Sexual chocolates.

6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Jalen Green suxxxxxxx. Right?

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

His jump shot is actually aight. He’s shooting. Above 40% on jump shots and most most of those are with a lot of contact. And not a lot of good looks/unassisted. His pg’s and facilitators aren’t finding him for open shots. His fg percentage is down because of his drives which he never tecoves a whsitle on. If you think JG is chucking we’re not watching the same game, his teammates are severely selfish and letting him down. If he later I t he GSW system or spurs system, he’s easily be rookie of the year. His teammates aren’t looking for him off the curls and all that off the ball movement. There’s a reason a big sentiment. Of basketball gand(not jsut rocket fans) are saying kpj and green shouldn’t be on the floor together

Dobbizzle, 18pbr and bmelo like this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yep it’s the 3rd quarter that’s killing us right out of halftime

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Exactly JG plays within the offense. Problem is we have no offense. He wants to play within team and really is taking only smart shots decisions, he really surprised me with his mature shot selection

Y2JT, charlieaustin, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I miss the game, did we win?

Squirtle and juanm34 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is the issue i have with silas, people been saying 'its not his fault', 'hes been dealt a shitty hand', 'he deserves a chance', 'give him a couple of years then judge him', but in the meantime our youngsters may be completely ruined....
    this is the most crutial part of their development... i think the silas experiment needs to stop....
    we cant be held hostages to silas... right now rockets are his guinea pig

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

COACHING!

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

“We are playing hard; we’re just not playing smart enough,” Rockets guard Eric Gordon said. “Of course, we’re always going to be in games because of our work ethic. We just have to be smarter. We make a lot of bad decisions on the floor. I know it’s because we’re a young team and a lot of guys are playing major roles that they haven’t before.

“As long as we grow out of that stage, where we’re not turning the ball over, taking sometimes bad shots, I take our chances against anybody because guys are starting to figure it out a little bit more.”

[…]

The Rockets might have had reason to believe they got a bad whistle. Kevin Porter Jr. absolutely was right to believe he was fouled a possession before his technical foul.

Just as players have to take the next shot with confidence after they miss, they must move on to the next play when the officials mess up. The Rockets could not.

“I think we let the refs kind of get out of the game in the third quarter and that kind of affected us a little bit,” Rockets center Christian Wood said.

This was not a new problem. The Rockets did that to a degree in the season’s first game and even more on Sunday against the Celtics.

There was a possession against Boston when Gordon was spinning his arms in the universal travel signal while a Celtics player knocked down a 3 in front of him. But Gordon, who has been a meme machine for his reaction to calls and no calls, also does not let it impact his play. The young Rockets often seemed frustrated.

“That’s a natural thing,” Rockets coach Stephen Silas said. “For younger guys, it’s just natural to look, not necessarily for excuses, but to be distracted by referees and other stuff going on instead of staying the course and understanding it’s going to take us being focused on what’s important, which is how we play.

“I thought we did a good job as far as playing hard and staying in the game and withstanding their runs, all that. But we did get a little bit distracted and that happens.”

[…]

Third quarter gets away from Rockets

“I think we were kind of over-penetrating at times,” Silas said. “I thought we were distracted by the referees. Young guy stuff where you’re trying to do too much at times. Not reading what is available.

“We need to learn from it, grow from it, know that the beginning of the third quarter is so, so very important as far as setting the tone for how you’re going to play for the rest of the half.”

The Rockets play hard. That is probably a good place to start. But they have not yet found a way to mix all that energy with efficient execution.

“I love the way we competed,” Rockets forward Christian Wood said. “We had energy the whole game. I just thought the game got away from us in that third.”

The Rockets have hit bad stretches in each of their losses, falling too far in the second quarter against Minnesota and the third against Boston and Dallas. That happens in most NBA games but the Rockets’ slide on Tuesday especially seemed self-inflicted. That also could make it correctable.

“It’s all about being composed,” Gordon said. “As long as we do that and make reads, we’ll be fine.”

D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I admit I fell asleep at halftime but in my partial defense we were winning and the game was in the bag ;)

hakeem94, ThatBoyNick and Squirtle like this.
  15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Exactly.

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

One thing I have noticed about both KP and Green is that they need to go in to finish on a drive. Green looks too hesitant to penetrate and often finishes with a contested step back when he should just blow by his guy and finish (maybe partially down to him getting no calls) and KP had multiple times where he did a stupid last second bounce pass that looked pretty but didn't make it when he should've just took it home. I feel like Green is a confidence thing, KP just looks like he tries way too hard to be fancy when if he played a simple game he'd be twice as effective.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good post. You are exactly right. Porter still has a lot to learn, but he is progressing especially on defense. He will make a lot of these guys eat their words. Of course, once he starts playing really well none of the nay sayers will admit it. Reminds me of all the hate toward Click and when his bullpen moves panned out nothing but crickets.

D-rock, Bobbythegreat and NewAge like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Lord knows we got enough bench players to send a message to the other teams and the refs. They were bullied last night and the refs ate their whistles. I hate the whole rookies got earn the call bs. Just call the game the same for everyone. Next time it happens bring Jaygup, KMJ, Brooks, Garuba and just go full Lambeer on them. Theis had a decent game, but playing Segun 14 mins is criminal.

D-rock and charlieaustin like this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly, but we are already the best of the bad teams and we are going to surprise some of the better teams. Probably win about 25.

Amel likes this.