1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 10/26/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

My thoughts on KPJ
    He was solid. Many forget that we got him for free..
    Still huge upside...

I dont understand what you guys expect, this is a brand new team with a bunch of young guys and new coach..if we go 1-81 and play hard, develope and build chemistry I still think its a good season..

hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The basic requirements for PG is willing to pass, I don’t see that from KPJ. So I don’t think KPJ playing as PG will work.

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It's very evident from some people's comments that they did not come into this season seeing this for what it is. It's a season of development. It's game 4 and the kids are hopefully developing. You are going to have to measure success over 24-30 games at a time and more importantly over a few years. If you attempt to draw conclusions every game, it'll be a lost cause.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You may not see it but the team is starting to execute better on both ends.

The vets like Gordon, Theis and even House look like they are finding their grooves.

I've said it takes new players a month to get accustomed to new coach, system, timing
    of fellow teammates, learning the spots their teammates like to shoot from.

Example Lakers: Westbrook.....D Howard and Rondo have been there before and they
    are struggling. Some not so much like Kemba to Knicks?

Usually the players familiar with the system the previous year carry the new ones early.

New to Rockets:
    *Sengun
    *Jalen Green
    Garuba
    Josh Christopher
    *Theis

*3 are key contributors

I had the Rockets winning 3 of the first 6 with Wall: T-Wolves/Thunder/Lakers (Halloween)

No Wall: T-Wolves: Rockets got totally screwed by refs

Boston: Porter still learning 8 Turnovers (Wall for all the complaining here decreases TO's)
    Would have helped settle the team. Gone to the FT line as refs respect him more.

Mavs: Sengun was exposed, Green looked flat,(just standing around too much this game)
    House was hot but got hurt, still a bunch of fouls called only against the Rockets.
    Brunson hip checked Porter (no call) was a clear example. Team was hacked all night
    on their wrists. Just called a little more than that T-Wolves gift to Minnesota.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jalen needs to learn to use the rim to fend off defenders. On one side of the rim and gets
    blocked. Fake his side then go under the rim and dunk it on the other side.

Porter: I want to see him keep his dribble alive......go all the way to baseline.....either 1) kick out
    2) hit cutter slashing down the lane 3) get the lay up/dunk himself as he creates space looking
    for 1or 2.

*Side note: I said with Wall 39 wins approximately......25 without Wall. Still 77 games to go
    to get 24 wins.

#944 ApacheWarrior, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    ramotadab, saleem and peleincubus like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He has upside, but I wouldn't bet on him developing into an above average player on a winning team, if he's trying to be a James Harden type player. It really seems to me like he's trying to do too much that exceed his limits as a playmaker. There are turnovers, and then there are baaaaad turnovers to supercharge the other team's offense. I'm seeing way too much of the latter from him.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

even Joe Harris has managed to get 4 free throw attempts so far this season, and he doesn’t do anything other than take wide open spot up threes…Jalen Green with zero after 4 games is asinine

hakeem94, BonziWellsGOAT and Roomba like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I agree actually. It's odd though, because his moves are slick. He almost looks like Harden without the ability to make that close proximity defender an asset rather than a roadblock (ie, when Harden does it, not only does he often get to the line, but also scores as well.) He definitely has something, and he can easily project as a strong scoring threat, but I'm not seeing a PG at all so far.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm pretty sure from our conversation months ago I wanted Gordon to do well with the thinking that he would be traded.

I heard the announcer say hip check. I am not sure I agree. It looked to me that he was just standing there the 2nd time and KPJ dribbled into him. I may have missed it though.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden had that bully strength to body his defender and the BBIQ to take advantage of any mistake by defense, but he could also just blow by his man with ease…seems like the defender is always stuck to KPJr like glue so he’s got to do all these moves to get his shot off or contort at the rim

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That probably accounts for it really then when it comes down to it. It's somebody trying to play Harden's game without having the prerequisite skill set for it to work. Green's looking the more sensible passer of the two right now, and his playmaking is apparently one of his weaknesses he's supposed to be working on. Not sure how well that bodes for KP as a PG. I see no reason why he couldn't be a starter level or better wing though, he does have talent.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

If you are expecting Wood to be like Giannis, Shaq, Davis, Nowitzki, etc at C/PF then you will surely be disappointed. I am simply saying his contribution becomes significantly helpful with a good passing PG/SG. That does not make him a role player, it simply means utilizing players' strengths better. If there is still a need to label him then I would say he is an all-star caliber player in a mature team. Our PG and SG dribble life out of the ball at the moment or jack up 3s and the coach still experimenting with plays. I feel it's tough for Wood to be his best in such situations. I am not saying he needs easy passes, I am suggesting a better playmaker. Also late in games require plays around Wood which is simply not the case.

I think currently there is less emphasis on wins and more emphasis on getting KPJ & JG to get comfortable. In such cases, Wood simply needs a break from criticism.

13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I understand. But I think it's because he always thinking too much (especially about getting Green some buckets). I think if he is focused on scoring within the offense and when the team is trailing (but has a shot at winning), he could do better - especially if he can attack with Sengun feeding him the rock with Snipa & Wood threatening from outside & KMJ available for a lob or follow-up.

It's a thought - not a mandate.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

OH ****s sake LMAO. I am not reading after that. If you're going to misread me on purpose and stretch what im saying theres no sense in replying. I said All Star not the NBA top 75 list lol WTF

#954 Joe Rocket, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is the realist **** ever spoken. That goes for the coaching staff too.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Something they would have called on Houston.....not the other way though.

I don't understand the Gordon comment? Trade Gordon at trade deadline.
    Why mention that? Now? I don't recall me saying Gordon would be traded early

I've always said Eric Gordon's 18 points per game last year would be a stabilizing factor until
    the trade deadline.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If KPJ had like one or two big flaws in his game as a pg I’d get it and I’d be all on board with letting him grow.

But the guy really doesn’t do anything really well that I’d like to see from a pg offensively. He doesn’t consistently get us into good offensive rhythm. He doesn’t drive and kick well. He’s not creating open looks for anyone. He’s constantly getting into trouble and picking up his dribble. And he’s turnover prone. Like, super turnover prone.

I’m just not seeing it with him as a pg. Too much of an uphill battle.

But the guy has talent and he can at the very least be a rotation player in the NBA as a wing. But I think they are screwing around with this pg stuff. He’s not a pg.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He tries to pass but he make crazy passes sometimes that become turnovers. he act like he is trying to make the ESPN's highlight reel

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Later reporting states he is having fun.

WestendMassive likes this.
  20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Wood puts up good stats and is a good player. I'm saying with 4-5 mins left in a close game, he really doesn't have much to go to. And when he gets fouled for assertively taking the ball to the basket, he's not a very good FT shooter and rarely makes both, especially late in game. And it's not like he doesn't get decent looks in the 4th. Open 3's, mid-range shots, etc. I don't think I've ever seen him really execute down the stretch in a very close game. Hoping we see some of that out of him this season, but last season it never happened.